Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/21/2006 9:59:43 PM EDT
Well, I sold my m4gery to a guy in the parking lot outside of Wade's on Saturday. Everything went good, but now I can't find my damn bill of sale. How much trouble could I concievably be in if it for some reason doesn't turn up, also, do I need to call in to the place I purchased the gun (Discount Gun Sales) and let them know it has been sold since my name is obviously on the original paperwork?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:06:18 PM EDT
Calling the place you bought it from will do nothing. If the transaction didn't go through them they won't record anything. You *could* have asked the buyer to fill out one of those voluntary forms you can get off of the DOL pages for transfer of a firearm but I don't think it matters much. As long as you have no reason to believe the buyer wasn't eligible to own a firearm you are in the clear.

All my opinion, of course.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:54:51 PM EDT

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:00:14 PM EDT
If it makes you feel any better icybluesmile, I have sold hundreds of arms over the years and never kept paper on a single one of them, and I am not alone I know associates that have sold many times what I have and never had a problem.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:38:42 PM EDT
No law says you have to have a bill of sale. As long as it was to the best of your knowledge a sale to a person legally eligible to own it you have no worries.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:51:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By STRATIOTES:
If it makes you feel any better icybluesmile, I have sold hundreds of arms over the years and never kept paper on a single one of them, and I am not alone I know associates that have sold many times what I have and never had a problem.

Have to agree...

Not only that, but you aren't legally required to do so.
Top Top