Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 9:59:43 PM EDT
Well, I sold my m4gery to a guy in the parking lot outside of Wade's on Saturday.  Everything went good, but now I can't find my damn bill of sale.  How much trouble could I concievably be in if it for some reason doesn't turn up, also, do I need to call in to the place I purchased the gun (Discount Gun Sales) and let them know it has been sold since my name is obviously on the original paperwork?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Calling the place you bought it from will do nothing. If the transaction didn't go through them they won't record anything. You *could* have asked the buyer to fill out one of those voluntary forms you can get off of the DOL pages for transfer of a firearm but I don't think it matters much. As long as you have no reason to believe the buyer wasn't eligible to own a firearm you are in the clear.

All my opinion, of course.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#3]
If it makes you feel any better icybluesmile, I have sold hundreds of arms over the years and never kept paper on a single one of them, and I am not alone I know associates that have sold many times what I have and never had a problem.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#4]
No law says you have to have a bill of sale. As long as it was to the best of your knowledge a sale to a person legally eligible to own it you have no worries.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If it makes you feel any better icybluesmile, I have sold hundreds of arms over the years and never kept paper on a single one of them, and I am not alone I know associates that have sold many times what I have and never had a problem.

Have to agree...

Not only that, but you aren't legally required to do so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top