Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 7:36:56 AM EDT
Hey all,

I won't live in WA forever, so I'm kinda smitten with registering one of my lowers as a SBR. Can I do this in WA as long as I don't put the upper on?

Thanks,
BoB
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:54:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BoB-O:
Hey all,

I won't live in WA forever, so I'm kinda smitten with registering one of my lowers as a SBR. Can I do this in WA as long as I don't put the upper on?

Thanks,
BoB

If I understand correctly, the SBR is the lower...so no.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:15:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2006 8:20:03 AM EDT by JAFO]

Originally Posted By PCR-00:

Hey all,

Thanks,
BoB

So are you using Fed or State law for a reference?

I'm not so sure about this one.

If the state definition defines it as a rifle "with a barrel" under a certain length, and a lower doesn't have a barrel...

Of course, it probably doesn't matter. I doubt the ATF would approve the form for a Washington resident knowing the intention is to manufacture a firearm that is not legal in the state.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:19:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JAFO:

Hey all,

Thanks,
BoB

So are you using Fed or State law for a reference?

I'm not so sure about this one.

Good point....The FED considers the lower to be the rifle. But all I've read in the RCW refers to barrel length.......

If I recall, the law states something to the effect of "possess a short barreled rifle"...ONE SEC...new post coming.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:26:40 AM EDT

Good point....The FED considers the lower to be the rifle. But all I've read in the RCW refers to barrel length.......

If I recall, the law states something to the effect of "possess a short barreled rifle"...ONE SEC...new post coming.

Slow poke

(4) "Short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle by any means of modification if such modified weapon has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:43:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Phil_in_Seattle:

Slow poke

(4) "Short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle by any means of modification if such modified weapon has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

Gun related RCW
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:04:14 AM EDT
Bob-O,

From my adventures with them to date, it would not get approved. Since you're not building it, you're not violating WA St statute, but the Feds won't give approval on a Form 1/4 that would violate a state statute. (Ask me how I know...)

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:47:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mordecai:
Bob-O,
From my adventures with them to date, it would not get approved. Since you're not building it, you're not violating WA St statute, but the Feds won't give approval on a Form 1/4 that would violate a state statute. (Ask me how I know...)

How do you know?

Share with us so we know what doesn't fly.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:16:10 AM EDT
On one occassion, they wouldn't approve a suppressor because I would have to test it and therefore would break the law. At times, dealings with them can be somewhat arbitrary and subjective (like most gov't). My most recent ATF problem was the denial to import a single-shot pistol because it wasn't considered to be a "sporting-use" weapon. It's an International Free Pistol, single-shot .22LR - LOL - I'm still going round on that one...

Their reasoning is that they won't give tacit approval to what would violate local (state) law. (See the recent MI re-interpretation of MI law that has allowed non-C&R NFA to be purchased!)

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:20:35 PM EDT
So you could build a pistol upper, and use a pistol lower until you move, then register said pistol as AOW, or SBR...

Joe
Top Top