Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2006 5:28:06 PM EDT
It isn't as good as Tannerite, but I bet if I make them big enough they'd put on a neat show. Homemade smoke bombs.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool! Can you lite them without the fuse? Where is the recipe?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Haven't tried to light them without the fuse yet. It takes them a minute to light even with the fuse so I doubt they'd go without one.

Recipe and directions:www.unitednuclear.com/smoke.htm

I used stump remover from Lowes since I couldn't find any saltpeter(potassium nitrate). Supposed to be the same stuff though.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Haven't tried to light them without the fuse yet. It takes them a minute to light even with the fuse so I doubt they'd go without one.

Recipe and directions:www.unitednuclear.com/smoke.htm

I used stump remover from Lowes since I couldn't find any saltpeter(potassium nitrate). Supposed to be the same stuff though.

Have you thought of using an empty toilet paper roll or even better--an empty paper towel roll for a mold?  

Did you get your fuze locally?

Chit, I might be off to Lowe's tomorrow...

Trey
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought about the toilet paper roll. I wanted to make these little ones first just so I know they work before I blew some money on the stump remover and have them not work.

I got the cannon fuse at a local gun store. $3.50 for 10 feet.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Does a rifle round set them off, or do you just light them by hand to add mood lighting to the bowling pins?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:42:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Does a rifle round set them off, or do you just light them by hand to add mood lighting to the bowling pins?

Gotta light them. These little ones put up a decent cloud of smoke. Going to try one in a toilet paper roll on my day off

I won't make them in the kitchen again either. I kept having visions of it lighting off in the pan and filling the house with smoke, then MrsK coming home.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:04:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I won't make them in the kitchen again either. I kept having visions of it lighting off in the pan and filling the house with smoke, then MrsK coming home.

Just tell her it was the computer....
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:17:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Found another use for the wifes no bake cookies I see....
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:36:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks to me like you stuck candles in some of The Brown Dog's trail markers!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Paper cups also work very well for these.  A bit bigger than a toilet paper tube so they last a bit longer.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:06:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I just tried making some. Haven't tested one yet, though.

I got it to the "brown sugar" phase, but couldn't get to the "peanut butter" phase.  The sugar just liquified but the stump remover stayed in its little round pellet shape.

I tried a second batch where I tried to mortar and pestle the pellets (using one of 1GRs bowling pins as the pestle).  Seemed to melt a little better, but still no peanut butter consistency.

Kooter--Was your stump remover a powder, or granules (like dippin' dots ice cream)? Did they melt? If you are on Atkin's Diet, can you substitute Splenda?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:21:07 PM EDT
[#12]
it's much easier if you get pure saltpetre.

regardless, they do work well.

K is right, don't mix these indoors.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#13]

CarbineMonoxide
use one those mini coffee grinders and turn the stump remover to fine dust.
a new coffee grinder is only $20 , small amounts at a time.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#14]
If all goes well, I'll have a little something to bring as well

-Rob
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:52:25 PM EDT
[#15]
My stump remover was a very fine powder. I just kept mixing it until it all melted together.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:16:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

CarbineMonoxide
use one those mini coffee grinders and turn the stump remover to fine dust.
a new coffee grinder is only $20 , small amounts at a time.

What you need is a "ball mill" - a coffee grinder won't do too well for this.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:53:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Kooter--Was your stump remover a powder, or granules (like dippin' dots ice cream)? Did they melt? If you are on Atkin's Diet, can you substitute Splenda?

The technical term, if you want to know the technical term, is prill.  

-Rob
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:32:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just tell her it was the computer....

"I just tried using Yahoo Messnger honey!"
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#19]
prill...mill....kill...grill  

How about I just ask Kooter what flavor stump remover he used???
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Now you need to try granular chlorine (swimming pool kind) and DOT3 brake fluid.....bright orange flame-thrower type flame after a few second delay, just don't breathe the fumes.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Green light stump remover. I bought it at Lowes. It was on clearance for $2 a bottle. I bought 3 bottles
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Green light stump remover. I bought it at Lowes. It was on clearance for $2 a bottle. I bought 3 bottles

Is that a source of KNO3?

-Rob
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Rob

I was told it is mostly potassium nitrate. Not pure though. Works good enough for smoke bombs though
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:22:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Rob

I was told it is mostly potassium nitrate. Not pure though. Works good enough for smoke bombs though

Good to know....good to know

-Rob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top