Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 6:48:55 PM EDT
Portland Cop Sues Glock/Federal Cartridge.

Anyone hear about this one when it went down?

Let's start a Glock flame thread.    J/K
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#1]
damn  glocks
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw the articles about the lawsuit starting a few days ago, and I remember reading when the Portland PD switched from the 45 calibers 21s to the 9mms.

It's interesting that both Glock, Federal, and Alliant have all been named in the lawsuit.  That seems to say we don't know where to place the blame for the kaboom so lets throw a handful of poop at the wall and see who it sticks to.  

More information about it can be found here.

www.thegunzone.com/glock/ppb.html

Glock Press Release on the kaboom when it happened.
www.gssfonline.com/hot_topics/pressrelease.htm
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The NY City suit looks as if it is going to get flushed due to the new manufacturer protection law. I expect this to get the same treatment. Time will tell. Wow, a glock blowing up. Imagine that.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#4]

The Police Bureau replaced them with 9mm Glocks

Everybody knows that 9mm won't hurt anybody.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The NY City suit looks as if it is going to get flushed due to the new manufacturer protection law. I expect this to get the same treatment. Time will tell. Wow, a glock blowing up. Imagine that.

The lawsuit from the Portland LEO will procede because it falls under this clause in Public Law 109-92

(a) In General.--A qualified civil liability action may not be
brought in any Federal or State court.

(5) Qualified civil liability action.--
...shall not include--

v) an action for death, physical injuries or
                     property damage resulting directly from a defect
                     in design or manufacture of the product, when used
                     as intended or in a reasonably foreseeable manner,
                     except that where the discharge of the product was
                     caused by a volitional act that constituted a
                     criminal offense, then such act shall be
                     considered the sole proximate cause of any
                     resulting death, personal injuries or property
                     damage; or

To blame Glock they will say that the Glock is defective because it kaboomed when used as intended thus there must be a defect.  Of course they've also named the ammuntion makers in the lawsuit which says to me they haven't even looked to see where the defect really is.

NYs lawsuit should be covered under the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act but the last I knew a Federal Judge denied the motion, under a narrow exception that allows lawsuits against the gun makers if their sales or marketing practices violate state or federal statutes in the case NYs nuisance law, while rejecting the city's argument that the law was unconstitutional, to dismiss after passage even though Sen. Larry Craig and Rep. Cliff Sterns, sponsors of the bill, both referenced the city's case as a quintessential example of a lawsuit the act would prevent.  The trial was postponed to allow for appeal.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#6]
G21 and mags for sale... cheap!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a copy of the HP White report on their examination of the two G21 kB! from PPB.  HP White says that the kB!s were caused by overpressure ammo, most likely a double charge.  They also looked at the ammo and determined that there is room in the case for a double charge.

Once again, it's not the gun, it's the ammo.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#8]
PPB is a sorry excuse for a Law Enforcement agency..

And besides that, Glocks don't handle crappy ammo(or crappy reloads) very well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Made from plastic from a people that gave us Hitler.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
PPB is a sorry excuse for a Law Enforcement agency..

Details?  Example?  Reasoning?

I'm curious, 'cause I got a personal interest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top