Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 2:41:01 PM EDT
Perhaps I'm biased (because I work for the company) But I know what our offices do for people down on their luck and the partnership with the NG is even better for all parties concerned.  This type of spin just pisses me off.  I've been a part of this company for over 6 years now, and I've seen the smile on a person's face when we help them get a job when they otherwise could not.  this is just despicable.

www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2005-09-02/pols_hightower.html

A snippet

So, to goose up recruitment, the Army National Guard has signed an oily deal with a national temp agency called Labor Ready. Recruiters from the guard are given access to Labor Ready's 700 offices around the country, where they'll try to hustle economically squeezed day laborers.

These people, used for manual labor on short-term jobs, are among America's working poor, and they're some of the most vulnerable workers in the country. That's exactly why the Pentagon is targeting them, hoping that they're so hard up they'll take a killing job.

Of course, Labor Ready makes it sound as if it's doing a favor for these poverty-wage workers by helping enlist them. "Young people can get a career," enthuses a Labor Ready employee. "If they're down on their luck, they have an opportunity to get up, to see something new, to see the world."

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Austin.
Figures.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe I should enlist today!

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I am Jack's complete inability to give a shit about any MSM liberal opinions.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Austin.
Figures.

Yep Austin is the Seattle of Texas
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#5]
If this was the Klinton administration, the Lame-Stream Media libtards would be praising how this program gives economically challenged people skills and money for education thus enhancing their chances for a successful future.

But since the evil Bush is in office...

Trey
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Do I like the idea of an honest day of work for an honest days pay?  For sure.

I do not agree with the gvmnt using Labor Ready to help recruit the poorest people to fight this conflict.  Let me see some senators kids out there... The Bush's girls be medics...  I don't care about party lines on this.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I do not agree with the gvmnt using Labor Ready to help recruit the poorest people to fight this conflict.  Let me see some senators kids out there... The Bush's girls be medics...  I don't care about party lines on this.

Labor Ready took the idea to them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#8]

That's exactly why the Pentagon is targeting them, hoping that they're so hard up they'll take a killing job.

PCR, you call yourself my friend? You never told me they had killin jobs.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

PCR, you call yourself my friend? You never told me they had killin jobs.

No kidding, sign me up!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#10]
PCR...
Fuck Austin, TX....
The Seattle BS "times" publishes Molly Ivans (sp?) editorial from Austin every week. She is a Cindy SheeMAN Bush bashing liberal scumbag.
Keep up the good work. Pissing off a liberal is a GOOD THING for America.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Labor Ready took the idea to them.

That surely does not make it any better imo.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

So I suppose the Army needs to do away with the GI Bill, College Fund, Student Loan Repayment, MOS Affiliation bonus, Off-Peak Shipping bonus, and any other ENTICEMENT and RECRUITMENT program they have. In fact, shut down the recruiting offices and no more of those annoying "Go Guard" or "Aim High" signs in any area deemed "Economically depressed".
That way we'll have a nice even spread of folks,from all walks of life just wanting to serve, out of the goodness of their heart? Horseshit.

Recruiting the poor and those without much of a future is how armies have been fielded for centuries. (Better we get 'em before a crack or meth dealer.)

I've seen, heard and watched recruiters use the hard sell, but have yet to witness one press the muzzle of an M9 to the temple of a prospective enlistment.

That "poor fighting the war" is a hot button with me, ever since I had to listen to all the little Momma's boys pussies whine during Gulf-1 about how they only joined for the college money, or didn't want to get blown up doing that fun and exciting job they saw in a 15 minute video clip, without ever thinking about the real bullets that come out of that M16. It was always us "poor" and middle class guys stepping up and taking the bull by the horns. The last thing I ever want in my foxhole is a preppie/yuppie little momma's prick, they never had to fight for anything.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:37:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I interned for Kelly Services, a company similiar to Labor Ready. Though we did have nice jobs every now and then for Intel or Microsoft, most were dead end jobs like packing CDs at factories on 8 hour shifts, or being a general laborer at the Tacoma dome.

Joining a military branch would indeed be better than most jobs offered by "temporary employment" companies.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#15]

No college...minimum wage jobs....no motivation...pretty much a loser

THANK GOD FOR THE US ARMY RECRUITER!!!

High 5 figures a year now, due to them capitalizing on poor little me (and still no degree).
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So I suppose the Army needs to do away with the GI Bill, College Fund, Student Loan Repayment, MOS Affiliation bonus, Off-Peak Shipping bonus, and any other ENTICEMENT and RECRUITMENT program they have. In fact, shut down the recruiting offices and no more of those annoying "Go Guard" or "Aim High" signs in any area deemed "Economically depressed".
That way we'll have a nice even spread of folks,from all walks of life just wanting to serve, out of the goodness of their heart? Horseshit.

Recruiting the poor and those without much of a future is how armies have been fielded for centuries. (Better we get 'em before a crack or meth dealer.)

I've seen, heard and watched recruiters use the hard sell, but have yet to witness one press the muzzle of an M9 to the temple of a prospective enlistment.

That "poor fighting the war" is a hot button with me, ever since I had to listen to all the little Momma's boys pussies whine during Gulf-1 about how they only joined for the college money, or didn't want to get blown up doing that fun and exciting job they saw in a 15 minute video clip, without ever thinking about the real bullets that come out of that M16. It was always us "poor" and middle class guys stepping up and taking the bull by the horns. The last thing I ever want in my foxhole is a preppie/yuppie little momma's prick, they never had to fight for anything.

Assume~  Makes an ass out of you and... you.  Lets just see a nice lil pie chart that shows an economic break down of the people in the military now.  I bet there are very few rich kids.  I give the point of whats good for the goose is good for the gander.  I'm glad that PCR has a good paying job.  I still think that there is no need for Labor Ready to be involved in the recruitment process.

GI Bill?  Great.  I wanted to use it myself.  To bad I was honest and told my Air Force recruiter about my back injury.  Now I"m a civilian welder inside my local Navy shipyard making sure that the subs that go down, come back up.  Im not a little pissant far left or asshole far right person.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
<Snip>
Assume~  Makes an ass out of you and... you.  Lets just see a nice lil pie chart that shows an economic break down of the people in the military now.  I bet there are very few rich kids.  I give the point of whats good for the goose is good for the gander.  I'm glad that PCR has a good paying job.  I still think that there is no need for Labor Ready to be involved in the recruitment process.

GI Bill?  Great.  I wanted to use it myself.  To bad I was honest and told my Air Force recruiter about my back injury.  Now I"m a civilian welder inside my local Navy shipyard making sure that the subs that go down, come back up.  Im not a little pissant far left or asshole far right person.

I didn't assume shit. I read your comments and responded. Done deal.
OTOH, here's something you can try-
Grow up and learn to back whatever crap you spew, and you won't feel all butt-hurt next time someone offers a dissenting opinion.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Let me see some senators kids out there... The Bush's girls be medics...  

O-HELL NO!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

O-HELL NO!

On the other hand....I'm sure there'd be no lack of booze or steaks on deployments if a Kennedy spawn join the Infantry
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:40:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

O-HELL NO!

On the other hand....I'm sure there'd be no lack of booze or steaks on deployments if a Kennedy spawn join the Infantry

No amount of Booze or Steak's would make me change my mind...

Fuckers never had to work for anything, and If Im going to go out of my way to help another troop, I damn well want to make sure they are willing to  do the same for me.

But I do get your joke.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:00:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I am Jack's complete inability to give a shit about any MSM liberal opinions.

Never figured you for a Fight Club fan.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:59:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rich, poor doesn't matter.  The argument about why isn't so and so's kids there, is really just plain stupid.  It's a volunteer military.  Bush's daughters aren't in the military because they chose not to be, just like most everyone else who isn't in the military.  And the opposite is true too. Everyone who is in the military, chose to be there.  If a poor person wants to join either the active, or the reserve component, that's their decision. Just giving them the information isn't forcing them to join.  Nobody is making them go to the MEPS station at gunpoint and depart for BCT.  They are given another option, and if they choose to take it that's on them.  Sometimes people just don't think of something until it's presented to them, even things that are mostly well known.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:09:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:On the other hand....I'm sure there'd be no lack of booze or steaks on deployments if a Kennedy spawn join the Infantry
And if you changed that name to Bush, I''d still agree with that line.

Just don't think that you hurt my feelings.  I see you are a rather two dimentional person so I'm not taking this exchange any further on this thread.

~~ Off to werk.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:10:41 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

No college...minimum wage jobs....no motivation...pretty much a loser

THANK GOD FOR THE US ARMY RECRUITER!!!

High 5 figures a year now, due to them capitalizing on poor little me (and still no degree).

Dude, 18,000 isn't "high."

Geeze, everybody knows you can't make ends-meat without a college degree.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
[That "poor fighting the war" is a hot button with me, ever since I had to listen to all the little Momma's boys pussies whine during Gulf-1 about how they only joined for the college money, or didn't want to get blown up doing that fun and exciting job they saw in a 15 minute video clip, without ever thinking about the real bullets that come out of that M16. It was always us "poor" and middle class guys stepping up and taking the bull by the horns. The last thing I ever want in my foxhole is a preppie/yuppie little momma's prick, they never had to fight for anything.

Hehehe, I never cared for the whiney assed "here for the college money" types either. They sap morale, do their best to dodge every detail, and for the most part are all around shitbags.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#26]
No, rich people in the military huh? BS, One of my best friends in the 101st was an aid in congress and his dad was worth over $14million. My other friend was a jew from NY and his family had Mucho$$$. They come from all walks of life, but ya, I hate them little preppie I joined for the college not to fight types. If your real poor, the military is an excellent option, better than some of the other options available.

And if you changed that name to Bush, I''d still agree with that line.

Just don't think that you hurt my feelings. I see you are a rather two dimentional person so I'm not taking this exchange any further on this thread.

~~ Off to werk

Waaaaaaaahhhaa! Some people get their panties in a bunch, 4F, Bitter? Figures.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top