BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2006 10:06:44 PM EDT
www.kirotv.com/news/6459224/detail.html

Police Investigating Rash Of Thefts Outside Sportsman's Show

POSTED: 4:29 am PST January 26, 2006
UPDATED: 9:14 am PST January 26, 2006

PUYALLUP, Wash. -- Thieves made off with at least five guns, expensive camera equipment, checkbooks and cash, all stolen from cars parked in a lot at the Puyallup Fairgrounds, where the Northwest Sportsman's show is under way, KIRO 7 Eyewitness News reported.

At least six car break-ins were reported on opening day.

Car prowlers stole one man's record-setting ram's head, which he had intended to show at the event.

"He's an avid hunter, so this was a thrill of a lifetime for him -- and totally a devastating day," said Larry Bergstrom, the man's friend.

Puyallup police said they're investigating, but they have no leads. The parking lot was busy and crowded for much of the day.

The owner of the ram's head is offering what he says is a substantial reward for anyone who returns it.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:23:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm always afraid of that.  That's why I usually park out in the open by myself.   Not to mention, having a badass alarm helps a bit.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:30:15 AM EDT
[#2]
To leave the gun in the vehicle is not to have control of it, it just arms the criminal like the chief of police for seattle did.

The sidearm remains in my control at all times.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:27:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I know someone who had their rear glass door opened at the show......
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:01:19 AM EDT
[#4]
They have plenty of police and private security inside. Maybe they can start putting a few of them in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#5]
seems like a damn silly/stupid place to break into a car.......but I guess it worked for them.......

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They have plenty of police and private security inside. Maybe they can start putting a few of them in the parking lot.

Out in the rain?  You're cruel.  Not paid enough to get cold and wet.

(That's sarcasm, folks!)
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Man, that sucks. The way the screwed up laws are in this state, if you caught one of these jerks in the act and beat the shit out of him you would be charged with assault!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Man, that sucks. The way the screwed up laws are in this state, if you caught one of these jerks in the act and beat the shit out of him you would be charged with assault!

get a load of this ruling
www.kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=4411535&nav=menu216_2
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:47:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

get a load of this ruling
www.kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=4411535&nav=menu216_2

Holy crap there is just nothing in that article that is right. I mean hell a felon pistol whips some illegals and they are awarded the property he owns in a civil suit? How the hell did they get ANY rights of US citizens when they are not citizens of this country?

The guy with the gun should have known better IMO. He's a felon and in posession of a firarm what did he think he would get a medal or something for kicking the shit out of these guys? He should have kept himself a lower profile and he would still own a ranch.

It just goes to show that we the people are less and less citizens and more and more endentured servants when this kind of BS happens.

It's no wonder people snap and go for joy rides in tanks or bulldoze county buildings over crap like this.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Holy crap there is just nothing in that article that is right. I mean hell a felon pistol whips some illegals and they are awarded the property he owns in a civil suit? How the hell did they get ANY rights of US citizens when they are not citizens of this country?

The guy with the gun should have known better IMO. He's a felon and in posession of a firarm what did he think he would get a medal or something for kicking the shit out of these guys? He should have kept himself a lower profile and he would still own a ranch.
It's no wonder people snap and go for joy rides in tanks or bulldoze county buildings over crap like this.

He was acquitted of assault but convicted of being a felon in possession of a firearm. total bsThe Southern Poverty Law Center brought suit against Nethercott on behalf of the two immigrants.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Sportsman's show, not the gun show. maybe the thieves don't want to risk theft at the WAC show. Or maybe the gun show doesn't get the advertising/publicity.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Sportsman's show, not the gun show. maybe the thieves don't want to risk theft at the WAC show. Or maybe the gun show doesn't get the advertising/publicity.

Hunters are easy but WAC = psycokilling machines looking for any excuse to use their weapons.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I read another article about the travesty in AZ.  It indicated that the ranch owner never made appearance or answer in the case.  That meant the case was never heard on its merits, rather a default verdict was entered.  While the whole thing is crazy, you need to defend yourself, even in crazy cases.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
 While the whole thing is crazy, you need to defend yourself, even in crazy cases.

true but he was locked up in jail an denied diabetic medicine to point of hospitalization, the sheriff in Texas has it in for him.

wont be long now and the country will fall into internal strife
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't know about AZ, but in many jurisdictions, including WA, his incarceration and medical condition would provide grounds that would overturn the judge's judgment and order.   They must have served him in jail?  

The idea is that the law "abhors a default" and if there is any reasonable excuse it will be overturned so that the suit may be heard on its merits.  This is done at the trial court level, so an appeal to a higher court may not be necessary.  It would never survive the challenge here, assuming that those are the facts.  Also, with the high profile of the illegal problem in AZ, hopefully there will be a local group to champion his cause (and foot the bill).

Hopefully the laws are the same there and justice may yet be done.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:13:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

PUYALLUP, Wash. -- Thieves made off with at least five guns, expensive camera equipment, checkbooks and cash, all stolen from cars parked in a lot at the Puyallup Fairgrounds, where the Northwest Sportsman's show is under way, KIRO 7 Eyewitness News reported.

Car prowlers stole one man's record-setting ram's head, which he had intended to show at the event.

"He's an avid hunter, so this was a thrill of a lifetime for him -- and totally a devastating day," said Larry Bergstrom, the man's friend.

Puyallup police said they're investigating, but they have no leads. The parking lot was busy and crowded for much of the day.

The owner of the ram's head is offering what he says is a substantial reward for anyone who returns it.

All the more reason for  a tailgate party in the parking lot. ( see TGIF thread)
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:11:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Maybe this whole thing was a plot by anti-gun people.

They will respond to this by saying something like: This just proves how irresponsible gun owners are, and how easily "Assault Rifles" can be put into the hands of criminals.

But honestly thats bullshit.....i'd be so happy to catch someone breaking into my car, and kick the shit out of them. I hope that guy gets his stuff back
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh(I thought gun show).............that(sportsmans) makes more sense, criminals aint all that smart..........but not many could be stupid enough to hit the gun show parking lot

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#19]
A couple of years ago, some fucktard took the "cowcatcher" thing out of the back of my pickup while I was at the gunshow. I was parked about 3 spots south of the crosswalk in the front row! Even the ticket sellers had a clear view of my truck. Bright red, shiny...The damn thing was almost $700 to replace. needless to say, I never replaced it. They had to climb in and unbolt it, too. And then walk to their own vehicle with it. Or, maybe they just sashayed across into the show and traded it for some limited edition beanie babies.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#20]
WTF is a cowcatcher?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
WTF is a cowcatcher?

+1
WTF IS a "cowcatcher" thing....and WTF is it doing in the back of your truck??
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:46:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
WTF is a cowcatcher?

+1
WTF IS a "cowcatcher" thing....and WTF is it doing in the back of your truck??

[FROG] I'm guessing a fifth wheel trailer hitch.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#23]
The first off-duty arrest I made was at the Del Mar Gunshow in San Diego.

Some moron was selling guns in the patio between the buildings.
He had several stacks of  unsecured guns in boxes on his table and then a loose one for display on top of the boxes.
I watched a gang banger type fondle a handgun and then slip it under his shirt.
I looked around and there were no SDSO Deputies or security guards.
Rather than lose him in the crowd, I took him down and proned him out in front of the table.
When I patted him down, I found the stolen gun and a LOADED 9MM Smith Auto!!

I wasn't carrying that day.
I learned a valuable lesson.

God looks after fools and dumb LEO's.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:16:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Years ago I had my locks jamed full of wooden matches and onther time someone put a bunch of trash in the back of my PU at the WAC show.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:02:04 AM EDT
[#25]
I just called it a cowcatcher. It's the metal tubing flipover gate thingie that Ford offers as an option. It's mounted just inside the tailgate. So you can put a smaller load in the bed and not have it slide forward and f/u your cab. 3 or 4 horizontal tubes with a few vertical bars connecting them. For the life of me, I can't remember what they're called. But, on the plus side, the ins. co. gave me about 600 bucks to replace it. So, I got the JC Whitney version for a hunnertfitty and away I went.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Explains why there was a ton of Security Guards/Police patrolling the parking lot on Sunday when we were there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top