Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2006 3:37:44 AM EDT
Since i had yeaterday off and feeling good about having the holiday off i figured i go out and make my self feel even better and spend some money on a new AK47.  Just by chance i found an excellent deal on a NIB, Arsenal Inc. SAM-5 in 5.56mm.  

Arsenal discontinued this model for the domestic USA market, poor sales i guess,....figured i better buy one now before they become to elusive and spendy.   Years ago i  missed the boat on the valmet M76 and Galil ARM and always wanted a true ak in this caliber to complete a assortment of calibers for this weapon system.

Arsenal Bulgaria has been providing this model over seas to NATO countries requiring the change in rifle calibers to various post warsaw countries.  Shoping in advance always pay off, i secured some mags from KVAR last year for the sam5 and now i have a complete package.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:04:07 AM EDT
[#1]
sounds like fun... I have the SAM-7 in 7.62X39... sometimes I think I should have one in 5.56... I love the feel of the arsenal milled AKs
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice find, I've been looking for one too.  If you don't mind me asking where did you find the rifle and how much did you pay for it.  From all the reviews I've seen, you will not be disappointed at all.  Now if only if Kvar can bring some 5.56 mags into the country.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
ELF you have too many toys, you must redistribute your wealth...starting with me
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I was checking with Kvar yesterday afternoon and they have a limited number of 5.56mm black mags in stock on a first come first serve basis.  I went ahead and ordered twenty mags, I know these mags are as alusive as an acrtic fox in hunting season,  so that i mind, i went  ahead a secured some for a rainy day.  I may have three or four extras for someone looking for this kind of requirement.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:29:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info, I will be calling KVAR in the morning.  Also did you pick up this new rifle locally?

Thanks

ASG

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:07:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I went to federal way discount, its sort of love and hate relationship with these guys, but the price seemed fair for 689.00.  When you compair what you are getting for the money the arsenal Sam-5 really outshines any other 5.56mm chambered AK or AR for the money spent.  The neat little bonus with this model is that Arsenal added a windage dial rear sight simular to one you would find on a RPK,  if your a AK 47 nutt like myself  you will be a happy camper. These guns are light years ahead of anything the norinco, poly tech, Interarms or IMI imported and the cosmetic details are first rate, top shelf equipment.  I would jump on the band wagon and get some of these mags as they are rare and hard to find.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn you....Big-Elf!!!!  After your post, I went to K-var website and ordered (13) 5.56 mags.  The worse part is I don't have anything for it!  I guess I will have to make run to federal way this weekend to see if I can get something to keep those mags company.   You didn't happen to know if they had any more did they?  Now lets hope they take some trades, because it time to thin the herd abit.   BTW did you get the one with the scope rail?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#8]
AKs are primitive, but amusing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#9]
The Sam -5 varient i picked up dose not have the scope rail. Based on overall experience with the Arsenal Line of products, this rifle needs only someone that knows how to shoot and judge distance correctly and has been trained with good marksmanship shills, you will be good to go.
Scopes and fancy red dot, HUD displays are nice and expensive but with the advanced tangent sight on the 5 series there's nothing more fun than shooting with irons and droping the target at whatever distance is required.  Generally a scope on a carbine is nothing but a pussy crutch.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
AKs are primitive, but amusing.

Once again,

Very well stated.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#11]
"Generally a scope on a carbine is nothing but a pussy crutch."

True, you need to learn to shoot from iron sites before you shot with a red dot or scope.  But it is sure lots of fun. BTW, thanks for your info, I was able to score on mags at K-VAR.  I went down to Federal Way Guns after the WAC show on Sat and was impressed on their slection.  However they had some wacked out pricing for magazines.  I.E. FAL meteric mag was $24 bucks.  They had a OD green SAM-5 and a black SAM-7 left.  I didn't care for the OD green one and went to Ben Loan in Renton and he was able to order me one in black.  Looks like the SAM-7 is backordered everywhere so I may be back to Federal Way to get that SAM-7.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I knew that two rifles out was going to equate to two rifles in.

Fed. Way "Discount" Guns had a screaming deal on the same D&H Industries mags that James sells for $13 / ea. . .  They only wanted $25 / ea.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#13]
ASG,  I have both of these fine guns and the SAM-7 Carbine is one little hot item.  This Ak will drop pop cans at the GF pit just as accurate as my Colt LE Carbine.  I bet it would out shoot my PTR-91K in combat shoot or timed event.  

You know i had the same reaction toward the green stock 5 series, it took about one week to decide to purches the 5. After buying the gun and having it for about two weeks i am glad i got the green stock,  its adds balance and something a little different to the black stock sets on my other Ak's.  

The stock color will grow on 'ya and It looks bad ass with the black or clear thirty round mag in the receiver.  The SA-M5 is a very atractive piece of equipment.  I would not waste any time on a desision with the 5 series, she is no longer being produced by Arsenal Inc.  As a general rule popularity of such firearms generally grow after supply sharply ends after a production run and you know the price will increase as demand always dictates the market.

I would say that most amature gun smiths out there building this so called Primitive gun have about enough artistic or mechanical ability as homo erectus had with a stone or a jaw bone of a ass.  I think most most of these wood bee home builders should stay with the rebuild of the M1A or  Garand, and when it jams you can still hold your head up with pride and say its made in America or China i think ??.........Haaaa...  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top