Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 12:19:56 PM EDT
I just put the money down and started the process with Roger Wilco Arms in Vancouver.  Hopefully, 6 months later I will have this TROS22 can.  I haven't decided whether to get a Walther P22 or just mount it on my Ruger 10/22.  I understand that Class III paperwork is painfully slow so I guess I will have plenty of time to figure out what I want to mount it on.  
www.trosusa.com/
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#1]
6 months to get a password?

That's a long wait!

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#2]
tag for a real picture
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#3]
yea, no matter how I look at it....it doesn't seem like it's worth the wait.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#4]
The Walther P22s have proven to be problematic.  My friend has one and the safety doesn't stay "off" anymore, which is fairly common from what I've read.  I think for the price, you are far better off to get the Ruger, Browning or CZ Kadet.

NFA transfer times have come way down since the move to WV.  My last Form 4 took 2 months mailbox to mailbox (corporate, 4th item.)  A first time individual transfer would probably take a little longer, but not 6 months.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Sig Sauer "Mosquito" is a nice lil' .22
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I have to agree about the Mosquito. I got one for Christmas and have put about 2000 rds thru it. Its REALLY fun!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Whatever it is, I didn't like the way it froze up my computer...but I want to shoot it...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By PCR-000
images.snapfish.com/345947593%7Ffp338%3Enu%3D3239%3E%3A9%3A%3E742%3EWSNRCG%3D3233437793%3B%3A6nu0mrj

Does your neck hurt from using the computer??
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Hold on a  minute...even when you get the suppressor and mount it thats as far as you can go w/o being a criminal  in WA. Is this correct? I thought it was illegal to pass a projectile thru the suppressor. Are you planning to take it out of state to shoot??
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hold on a  minute...even when you get the supressor and mount it thats as far as you can go w/o being a criminal  in WA. Is this correct? I thought it was illegal to pass a projectile thru the suppressor. Are you planning to take it out of state to shoot??

Of course he is.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I just put the money down and started the process with Roger Wilco Arms in Vancouver.  Hopefully, 6 months later I will have this TROS22 can.  I haven't decided whether to get a Walther P22 or just mount it on my Ruger 10/22.  I understand that Class III paperwork is painfully slow so I guess I will have plenty of time to figure out what I want to mount it on.  

How much does it cost for the can and the paperwork? The Walther is a great gun to mount it one because the barrel is already threaded. Unfortunately the P22 doesn't fit my hand very well, it's too damn small for me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

How much does it cost for the can and the paperwork? The Walther is a great gun to mount it one because the barrel is already threaded. Unfortunately the P22 doesn't fit my hand very well, it's too damn small for me.

22 LR suppressors can run anywhere from $100 for cheapy ones to $300 from a quality manufacturer (such as Gemtech, AAC, SWR, etc.)  The tax stamp on the suppressor is $200.  There are usually no other costs, unless you form a corporation, then you have your incorporating fees ($50 1 time then $10 a year for non-profit.)

The P22 isn't quite threaded for a suppressor straight from the factory.  You need a thread adapter to mount a suppressor.  The barrel is threaded already on the P22, but the barrel nut doesn't extend past the front of the slide.  The thread adapters are anywhere from $35 to $70, depending on whose you buy.  

Basic threading for a barrel is usually about $60 with a thread protector.  More complex guns that require more machining (the Buckmark I believe, as well as the Sig Trailside) would cost more.  I know that Gemtech had some Sig Mosquito extended barrels made, but I don't know if they have any left.  I bought the Pac-Lite upper for my Ruger Mark II, which was already threaded 1/2x28 for suppressor mounting.  It is considered the registered part though, so you can't just mail order it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry folks, I guess I found out the hard way, how and where to store images.  
I have added the link to the TROS website.

Anyway, the Walther has it's problems, but seems the easiest to thread (buy an adapter as stated above.)  I would love a Sig, but too much $$$ for my budget.   Also, I might just stick with my 10/22.  It is an excellent and inexpensive platform.  Anyway, I will have time to think about it as the paperwork is processed.  

The great thing about TROS is they are located in Dundee, Oregon. Easy for repairs, I am just across the border.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

22 LR suppressors can run anywhere from $100 for cheapy ones to $300 from a quality manufacturer (such as Gemtech, AAC, SWR, etc.)  The tax stamp on the suppressor is $200.  There are usually no other costs, unless you form a corporation, then you have your incorporating fees ($50 1 time then $10 a year for non-profit.)

The P22 isn't quite threaded for a suppressor straight from the factory.  You need a thread adapter to mount a suppressor.  The barrel is threaded already on the P22, but the barrel nut doesn't extend past the front of the slide.  The thread adapters are anywhere from $35 to $70, depending on whose you buy.  

Basic threading for a barrel is usually about $60 with a thread protector.  More complex guns that require more machining (the Buckmark I believe, as well as the Sig Trailside) would cost more.  I know that Gemtech had some Sig Mosquito extended barrels made, but I don't know if they have any left.  I bought the Pac-Lite upper for my Ruger Mark II, which was already threaded 1/2x28 for suppressor mounting.  It is considered the registered part though, so you can't just mail order it.

Out of curiousity how do you deal with the problem of the diameter surpressor blocking out your fromt sight? Do you just spray and pray and just hope to do it more quietly than everyone else?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:20:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Out of curiousity how do you deal with the problem of the diameter surpressor blocking out your fromt sight? Do you just spray and pray and just hope to do it more quietly than everyone else?

On the Wather P22 with a Gem Tech you can still use the sites.

I have a P22 and there is a way to help fix the saftey.

I ordered my can just after scollins ordered his M203 so the wait can be the same even for a FNG. I just got an email this morning its ready.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

That typically isn't a problem with 22 LR cans.  On my Mark II/Pac-Lite combo I can use either the irons or the JPoint with no problems.  The sight issues only really  happen with 9mm and larger cans.

On my STI, the can does block the sights, but just barely.  You can still align the sights just fine and see the majority of the target.  I can still put my shots where they need to go.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I ordered my can just after scollins ordered his M203 so the wait can be the same even for a FNG. I just got an email this morning its ready.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That typically isn't a problem with 22 LR cans.  On my Mark II/Pac-Lite combo I can use either the irons or the JPoint with no problems.  The sight issues only really  happen with 9mm and larger cans.

On my STI, the can does block the sights, but just barely.  You can still align the sights just fine and see the majority of the target.  I can still put my shots where they need to go.

home.comcast.net/~scott.collins4/STI_PacLite.jpg

Scollins, who makes that 1913 mount for your JPoint or whatever that red dot is?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Scollins, who makes that 1913 mount for your JPoint or whatever that red dot is?

It came on the Pac-Lite, so I imagine they made it.  They list them for sale on their website:  www.tacticalsol.com/products/Pistol_sights.htm

Hey!  They also make top ends for Buckmarks now too!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Scollins,

Looks like you have been a WA suppressor owner for a while, any issues across the border in Oregon while using your "cans?"  Do you keep all the paperwork with you when you are at the range/woods? Did the county/city LEO sign off on your  paperwork without any grief?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Scollins,

Looks like you have been a WA suppressor owner for a while, any issues across the border in Oregon while using your "cans?"  Do you keep all the paperwork with you when you are at the range/woods? Did the county/city LEO sign off on your  paperwork without any grief?
Thanks.

Nope, no issues with Oregon or Idaho.  But you want to keep COPIES of your form 4's with the suppressor at all times.  Do NOT use the original, it is far too valuable and should be locked in a safe deposit box or fireproof safe.  I keep 25% reduced copies of all my forms, as well as my corporation documents, in my wallet.  You don't even need to file form 5320.20 with the NFA to cross state lines with a suppressor.  I think AOWs are except from that form as well, but SBRs, SBSs, MGs and DDs all need the form filled out and filed before interstate transport.

As for sign off, I didn't even bother.  I hate that you have to "ask permission" to own these things, so I went the corporation route.  The NFA act of 1934 is bullshit enough.  Going the corporate route was a better choice for me.  I can only imagine what Renton's Chief of Police would have said if I had brought in my Form 4 for the 40mm grenade launcher....
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Great, good advice.  Did the corporate route take around six months before you received your "can?"
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Great, good advice.  Did the corporate route take around six months before you received your "can?"

My first one has no revelance on current transfer times.  It was two years ago, long before the move to WV.  There were also other factors involved that delayed my first transfer (paperwork mix up with NFA, go figure.)  

They  moved to WV a few months ago, and transfer times are WAY down.  RS_Coyote did his first corporate transfer, and it took about two months.  That is probably going to the time frame from now on.  The head of the NFA branch says he'd like to see processing take 30 days or less, but they aren't quite there yet....

That is assuming the dealer already has the can in stock on the Form 3.  If he has to order it, it could add another month or two to the process.  Just figure a solid 3 months from door to door.  That way, when it comes in sooner, you'll be ecstatic!  But when it takes 3 months, you won't be bummed either...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, I am told it is in stock so I am hoping for the best, even three months is better than waiting till June.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top