Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2003 11:57:27 AM EDT
The one up past monroe off of 522 right?

Tired of getting kicked out of the Stossel Creek and I90 spots...and the Romak3 needs more on target time :)

Thanks guys!

Alex
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#1]
SR522 terminates in Monroe and is now a fairly heavily populated corridor. I would be surprised if there are indeed any safe spots to shoot along it.

I'm going to have to get my Jeep whipped into shape and start doing a little exploring for some new shooting spots off the beaten path.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 11:09:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm going to have to get my Jeep whipped into shape...

That much whipping is Jeep Abuse!

Link Posted: 8/7/2003 12:04:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The one up past monroe off of 522 right?

Tired of getting kicked out of the Stossel Creek

there is no reason you should be getting kicked out of the stossel creek/cedar ponds area, it is open, I work with several DNR people and they have no idea about your story of being told to leave last time, if they are not in RED blazers/or GMC jimmys, big red wild land fire trucks they do not work for DNR, they may be contract people doing some sort of work for the state but they have no power to tell you to leave public land. I went shooting in the cedar ponds area today. (well now yesterday) and had no prob's....

There is no where along SR 522 that you are able to shoot safely , unless you know someone with some private property.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 12:07:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Brown GMC...DNR outfit, he was for sure the real deal...what about those no shooting signs at the Haskel (Haskel?) State park signs right off stossel creek road...doesnt that apply to the whole area?

If we are allowed to shoot up there, im goin up tommorow. What do I tell the guy if I do get "caught" again?
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 12:16:46 AM EDT
[#5]
well I dont know of any "state park" where you "can" shoot.  if you have a thomas guide you need to check out the area, if you go up stossel creek rd and follow it out till it turns into cedar ponds rd (miles and miles of logging roads, dagger lake area) there are so many areas out there that you can shoot it is not even funny. I dont know of any of the guys running around in brown trucks since DNR rigs are red or some white. I would suggest you get his name and ask him where you can. most of the DNR guys I know like to shoot as much as we do.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 12:30:48 AM EDT
[#6]
This guy was a total dick, told me the only place he knew people went was the pit....

Ok...so Dagger lake road...ill keep that in mind, gotta find it first. I know where lake fontal is, and stossel creek, wheres this dagger lake road?

Thanks again bro, could be a life saver :)

Alex
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#7]
The place up Stossel Creek road is called Markworth State Forest.  I have only seen one map that ever listed it---strange. It was open to shooting from 92-95.  When I went back in about 2000 and 2002, it was signed for no shooting and heavily gated --can't remember what jurisdiction posted it.  If you keep going through and work your way North, eventually you change jurisdictions and come out south of Monroe-ish in what I believe is Sultan Basin(?)or is it Dagger Lk/Cedar Ponds??. In any event, there was plenty of shooting there. (I dont recommend driving via Stossel Creek to get there--go in from MOnroe side) You used to be able to get in from near Lake Joy as well--if it wasnt Markworth, it was at least adjacent to it.

It would make sense for DNR(Dept of Natural Resources) to be in a State Forest, right?  Sounds like R-32 is more knowledgable on difference between DNR officers and DNR worker-bees.

Link Posted: 8/13/2003 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#8]
You have it right, you want to goto the "Cedar Ponds" area, it is faster if you access it from the Cedar Ponds rd.  come north on SR 203 then head east on the Ben Howard rd. and drive for a long time., but it can be gotten to from the S.C. side., the Sultan Basin if further east and on the other side(north side) of SR 2.

Good luck
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#9]
So all the way to the end of 203, and bust a right onto Highway 2 for Ben Howards Road and the sultan basin?
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 12:18:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Hi there-

I'm new to the area... could you guys give more detailed directions?   I've been to the Monroe WAC show, so I know where Monroe is, but I thought Sultan was over on the Oly Penensula past Aberdeen.

So, is the place you're talking about State or National forest land, and is it set up as a range, or is it just some field somewhere people go?  Would prefer somewhere set up as a range.... at least with a wall or a berm, where its common for people to shoot. (Don't need anything fancy like benches...)

Thanks and Hello!
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 12:56:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So all the way to the end of 203, and bust a right onto Highway 2 for Ben Howards Road and the sultan basin?

Not to the end of Sr 203 but before you enter the city of monroe it will be on the right hand side if your are going north bound. then follow Ben Howard Rd till you get to Cedar Ponds rd, hang a right (now you are heading south bound) follow to the "Y" take a right or a left depending on where you want to go. it turns into a bunch of logging roads and you can get lost if you dont know what you are doing. I would advise that you get a Thomas Guide and take a look first.

Hello Don, glad to see a new guy!.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 3:39:19 AM EDT
[#12]

So Sultan basin is in the Thomas Guide?  
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 10:29:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

So Sultan basin is in the Thomas Guide?  

Sultan Basin rd. Map page 440 F-6

Cedar Ponds rd. Map page 460 A-2

Getting to cedar ponds rd the back way via Stossel creek rd.  Map page 163 G-7

Do you want me to shoot out and get GPS grids?
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Can't you just meet us at the Scuzz Inn and we will follow you there!
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't you just meet us at the Scuzz Inn and we will follow you there!

NO...I  DON'T LIKE YOU FREAKS!
But if you want to bring ammo and naked womenz, then Im sure I could be "twisted" to go.

Link Posted: 8/16/2003 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Thanks.  I'll try to find my way there next week.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#17]
If the weather allows I will prob be @ Sultan Basin on wed. just dont know what time yet....
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Ben Howard to Cedar ponds Rd...I think I know that way...really bad potholes for the first few miles, and then you pass a bridge on your left that goes up to some houses, cross another bridge with a sweet view of that river/stream that has cut through some rocks, and pass a bunch of side logging roads that are gated, and eventually end up on stossel creek road, right?

Found it in the Guide...yep that area is where we shoot, and got kicked out of by DNR...
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 11:48:44 PM EDT
[#19]
hummmm.....if that is where you have been going shooting, how come you need directions?......

Are they all after you...or just some of them?
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Wasnt positive if we were talking about the same area. Now I pretty much am. Looks like the ben howard half of it is not state forest (legal), and the other half (stossel creek side) is off limits. That's probably why there isn't any state park signs coming from the ben howard road side. Go figure.

The pain is that all the good blasting spots are in the state forest. Ill have to do some hiking down some of those logging roads off ben howard and find a suitable "legal" spot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Heading up to the cedar ponds rd area about 1:00-1:30. The Sultan Basin map reference in the thompson guide doesnt have all the map grids in it, so ill have to pass on that one for today.

Thanks for the help R32!
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#22]
All worked out well, went back to the area I got kicked out of last time (its now got a shot up pickup truck at it in addition to the car that was there previously)

No DNR problems here. Next time, sultan basin. How do I know when ive actually found the Sultan Pit?

Oh....and anyone who says wolf ammo gums up ARs when they are hot is full of crap, mine ate 300 rounds in rapid succession with not a single prob. Wolf has removed the sealant around the case neck, no more problems. Hell just took the rifle apart, and other than the steel case cleaning some of the lugs up for me, and a little sealant around the ejector/firing pin area, its just as dirty as XM193 as far as I can see.

Alex
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
All worked out well, went back to the area I got kicked out of last time (its now got a shot up pickup truck at it in addition to the car that was there previously)

Great. That area will probably be closed before too much longer, too.

No DNR problems here. Next time, sultan basin. How do I know when ive actually found the Sultan Pit?

The first signs that you've found the pit will be the sounds of twisting metal and shattering glass as you're vehicle crashes into the impenetrable gate that was erected last year. Motorized vehicle access on the side road to the pit is now illegal and such is posted. No parking at the gate, either. One could park out along the road and hike in, but what fun is that? You can either do a little more exporing and find some of the few other areas in which limited shooting can be done. They will be obvious when found as at least a few of our fellow shooters appear to be mannerless, white trash slobs who leave garbage and shooting debris strewn everywhere in the vicinity. Personally, I give Sultan Basin about 2-3 more years before they shut the whole thing down to public access to protect Spada Reservoir and the watersheds of Sultan and Snohomish.

Oh....and anyone who says wolf ammo gums up ARs when they are hot is full of crap, mine ate 300 rounds in rapid succession with not a single prob. Wolf has removed the sealant around the case neck, no more problems. Hell just took the rifle apart, and other than the steel case cleaning some of the lugs up for me, and a little sealant around the ejector/firing pin area, its just as dirty as XM193 as far as I can see.

Maybe Wolf ammunition has changed for the better, but one shooting trip or 300 rounds does not make for any sort of conclusive test. I've shot a lot of cheap ammo through my ARs, especially that crappy Norinco stuff that used to be so cheap way back when it was still legal to import. Sure, it worked okay most of the time, but not exactly what I'd want to depend on when the chips come down.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#24]
LOL did I sense a little sarcasm and negativity there boomer? ;)

I feel your pain...I have no clue why people dump cars out there just to shoot at them and leave them.

They erected a gate 2 years ago? Then how did the shoot happen just a few weeks back?
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#25]
The recent shoot obviously wasn't at the "pit". From the pics I've seen, it looks like it took place at a flat, narrow area a few more miles up and just off the main road. I've shot there a few time myself.

The "pit" is/was really a great place to shoot. A huge sand bank at least 50' tall and easy 100 yd shots. I still can't believe they closed it. It was probably the safest, least impacted area in the Basin to shoot at. If anything, they should have encouraged people to do their shooting there. They began logging in the area last year, improved the road all the way to Shaw Lake from what I've heard, and then closed it to the public.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top