Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2003 5:05:44 AM EDT
There is a remote possibility that I may move to the Seattle area.  This would be a voluntary move to be closer to family in the Bremerton area (and Seattle is close enough for my purposes, so that leaves me a big area to choose from).  

So the usual questions follow:

How much does it cost to live in this general area?  I've looked at various apt ads, but you really can't tell what a place is really like without asking people who live there.  Basically I would like to know both house and apartment costs.

What are gun laws like?  I read some of them, but I just need the quick rundown.  CCW? Class 3?AWs? Gunshows? Restrictions?

Anything else I'm not thinking of that would be useful?

Work is not a factor.  Living in or outside a city is nto a factor either.  I've been to WA once, but that was long ago and TDY in the Army to Ft Lewis, so I'm not counting that as a true exeperience.  I did like it though, so that's better than many other places I've been I suppose.  Don't put too much work into this, chances are it wouldn't be for a while, and it will depend on many other factors, but I would be remiss if I didn't form a contingency plan for it if it happens.  If it does happen, it will happen fast after the word "GO".

Ross
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 7:05:59 AM EDT
[#1]
The further you get from King County, the cheaper it is to live. The cost of living is a little high IMO. No income tax. High sales tax.

Right around where I live...  apartments cost from about $800-1400/mo for 2 BR. You can find better or worse, depending on where exactly you want to live and how nice a neighborhood. I'm in Renton. In my neighborhood, house rentals are about $1100-2000/mo, but I'm real close to Lake Washington.

Over by Bremerton, I don't know exactly, but I'd imagine a bit cheaper :)

Gun laws are for the most part good. Shall issue CPL (concealed pistol license). No course required. Just meet the requirements, apply, fingerprints, pay fee, must issue in 30 days (after you've been here 60 or 90 days).

Worst part of gun laws...  no machine guns or short barreled rifles/shotguns. You can own a silencer, but not shoot a gun with a silencer on it.

The gunshows in my immediate area are www.washingtonarmscollectors.org shows. You pay a membership, get background check, then can buy firearms from private individuals. If you buy from a dealer at the show, then NICS check.

I'll try to get some links for you.

You've probably already check out www.seattletimes.com
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Go west young man, stay away from that nightmare (crime, traffic, and idiot pols) in King County if you can avoid it. If work is not an issue then move out in the country where most folks are normal. My little town is quiet, peaceful, and less than 2 hours from Bremerton and Seattle. Havens exist.

Out here in the po' parts of the state you can get a 2 bed house on a double city lot (~60'X120') with lotsa amenities for between $600 and $700/mo. They're cheaper if you buy them. It's one benefit to depressed local and state economies.

You can't own short barrelled shotguns but you can own "smooth bore pistols" (AOWs). Same thing, different manuf process, cheaper license.

As for MGs, you can always incorp and become an LE dealer. The boss (also a VAian) at Valkyrie Arms did that when she moved here.

She might be willing to lend "virginia centric" input but her mailbox is always pretty full.

Thankfully, there's more to Washington than Seattle.

[donning asbestos][edited for the AOWs]

Link Posted: 7/27/2003 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#3]
*IF (my Aunt had nuts shed be my Uncle)...

I was gonna work over on the pen., I would live over there, but on the eastern edge. I could have hell view of the city, and be a ferry ride away from everything...But with a mucho cheaper lifestyle...and easier to breathe.

Good Luck, and you can bring the MG to the next shoot!
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, the coffee is good!  For the most part we are a pretty gun friendly state.  The are a few pukes in Seattle that try to ruin things for everyone else (CavVet, take care of my light work please).  Weather is mild.  Scenery is beautiful.  The women are, well I'm married so I'm not allowed to look

Come on out, I will be the first to buy you a beer.  Of course it will be up to you to buy the next 7 or 8!
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#5]
GLH (Georgetown-Lieberal-Hunters)
checking in....

BDF
WSS
GLH

We need an eastside crew...

YMF (YuppieMobileFighters)

or maybe

WHAM (Weapon Handlers Are Mean)
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
checking in....

BDF
WSS
GLH

We need an eastside crew...

YMF (YuppieMobileFighters)

or maybe

WHAM (Weapon Handlers Are Mean)

WhereTF is DarkHelmet?  Isn't he an Eastsider?
There's always Klink he's an easty I think.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Eastside as in eastidse of the lake wash. or eastside of the state? Klink is in Sammamish along with me and SC.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 12:23:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Not a whole lot of us dry siders and were spread pretty thin but.... we don't have to drive 3 hours to find a place to shoot our toy's
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:19:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Not a whole lot of us dry siders and were spread pretty thin but.... we don't have to drive 3 hours to find a place to shoot our toy's

And damn you for that!!!! OK, its not your fault. If only we could lighten the "lib" load around here.  But that's only a pipe dream.  I'm looking to move to the Oly. peninsula to escape the Seattle madness. Though I would probably like the dry zone better, my wife wouldn't (she's a product of 2 hippies...nuff said)
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:25:32 AM EDT
[#10]
And Ross,  as you might have noticed from my avitar, I'm from back east.  Moved here from Atlanta in '89.  Most everything here is great but the traffic really, really sucks. The only way to fix that is live as close to work as possible.  That can be expensive (as has already been pointed out). The politics here are a little lame too at times.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 3:26:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
And Ross,  as you might have noticed from my avitar, I'm from back east.  Moved here from Atlanta in '89.  Most everything here is great but the traffic really, really sucks. The only way to fix that is live as close to work as possible.  That can be expensive (as has already been pointed out). The politics here are a little lame too at times.  

This is in the long term planning stage right now.  Not this year for sure.  Alot depends on what my family out there ends up doing.  

I spent over a decade in the Army, so moving and living somewhere new isn't a big deal to me.  Like I said, I've visited the area, and it's better than some of the places I've lived in.  I'm pretty easy to please.  The deal really depends on what other people are deciding to do, so I pretty much have to wait that out.

I've reviewed the gunlaws and they are easily livable.  I do have to say that the supressor law makes no sense whatsoever!  I could see illegal or legal, but posession OK, but use not is just weird.  At least there's a CCW law, and no bizarre AW bans, so that's good enough.

Cost is the main factor (as it is with everything) and I'll probably do an actual visit in the spring of next year to see what's what.

Thanks for the replies.  I'll be asking more questions as they pop into my head.

Ross
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
checking in....

What's a Liberal?
[FMJ]
"I seen some once on the TV."
[/FMJ]

Ross,
If you need transpo or lodging on your pre recon visit look me up when the date is closer.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Depending on how close to the family you want to be, give the NW corner of the state a look-see.  Kesselring's Gun Shop is almost in my back yard!
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Klink? Theres another sammamish'ian around here other than GT and SC? Damn...that makes 4 of us! Who woulda ever thought us Sammamish/Issaquah peeps would outnumber the rest of the Washington Hometown board :)
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 8:42:03 AM EDT
[#15]
[Klink? Theres another sammamish'ian around here other than GT and SC? Damn...that makes 4 of us! Who woulda ever thought us Sammamish/Issaquah peeps would outnumber the rest of the Washington Hometown board :) ]

From Issaquah Highland Here!
walking distance from Krispy Kreme :)
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
[Klink? Theres another sammamish'ian around here other than GT and SC? Damn...that makes 4 of us! Who woulda ever thought us Sammamish/Issaquah peeps would outnumber the rest of the Washington Hometown board :) ]

From Issaquah Highland Here!
walking distance from Krispy Kreme :)

You dont outnumber, I would have to say that title belongs to the Snohomish county guys.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#17]
You mean the SCCC outnumbers the KKDS ? Damn....

Snohomish County Country Cousins
Krispy Kreme Doughnut Sniffers

Link Posted: 8/1/2003 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I think BDF has numerical superiority.

PhilinSeattle
Busmaster007
Mk4III
(all within a few blocks of each other)

and we've adopted
_Twist
MkUltra

Hell I think Uleck is close enough to us that we might take him too.

All your DFs are belong to us!
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 11:58:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I think BDF has numerical superiority.

PhilinSeattle
Busmaster007
Mk4III
(all within a few blocks of each other)

and we've adopted
_Twist
MkUltra

Hell I think Uleck is close enough to us that we might take him too.

All your DFs are belong to us!

Snohomish co crew

Boomer

Dabunny

Enigma1

R-32

UHLEK

and there are 3 more but I cant remmember for the life of me...one is in marysville, one is in Mill Creek and the other is in Goldbar.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:38:25 AM EDT
[#20]
If you are going by county, there is only one... KING! :P
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If you are going by county, there is only one... KING! :P

King as a whole would have it,(my guess) just remmember you Krispy Krew.....You may live real close, But most of our yards are bigger than your Homo...I mean houseing developments!....Can you shoot in your yard?.(and not risk the po po showing up?)
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 12:42:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Ross, I completely agree with the people who say that Seattle is "Liberal" and we have some crappy politicians etc.

However, I myself life IN the city (in West Seattle) and my challenge is not to give up on this town.  I live very close to work, pay $800 per month for a brand new close-to-everything apartment (one bedroom) and as others have said, the actual Washington State laws are VERY pro-gun (the libs haven't been able to change that yet, and we won't let 'em!) and I intend on sticking it out.  Concealed Weapons Permits are "Shall" as has been stated, and there are a LOT of completely legal places to plink within a reasonable drive.  I've made the phone calls and found the Federal Land rangers VERY helpful and friendly to point you to places for plinking.  Hell, they even cut huge pits in the land just for us!  

I certainly am not an expert, but again, I know it to be true what I've typed above, and I find that if you chose to live on the Seattle shore of Puget Sound, you're a ferry ride away from work, and just an hour or two away from serious plinking.  We also have a great indooor range for pistols in Bellevue (Wade's) and a very reasonable, and nice outdoor rifle & pistol range just North of Seattle in Kenmoore.

Anthony
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
...and there are a LOT of completely legal places to plink within a reasonable drive.  I've made the phone calls and found the Federal Land rangers VERY helpful and friendly to point you to places for plinking. Hell, they even cut huge pits in the land just for us!

Okay, start talking, mister! Where are these pits?
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#24]
The Snohomish County guys are the best shots, have better shooting spots, and they are generally much "Cooler" than the rest of the Washingtonians...except for 1_GunRunner, who is way cool.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The Snohomish County guys are the best shots, have better shooting spots, and they are generally much "Cooler" than the rest of the Washingtonians...except for 1_GunRunner, who is way cool.

Hey I not only live in Snohomish County I work for it too!  Does that make me any more cooler?
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I think that sounds like a challenge!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey I not only live in Snohomish County I work for it too!  Does that make me any more cooler?

Me too...I guess that could make us duel-cool.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:58:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that sounds like a challenge!!!

[Doc holiday] I'm your huckleberry...[/Doc holiday]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top