Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2003 12:39:23 PM EDT
Other than tannerite, what are some good, cheap, yet fun things to shoot at that won't make a big mess.  I was thinking like balloons are fun but they disappear a little too fast.  Mellons are fun but too messy and too much of a pain to bring.  Any suggestions?  I want to know what to bring out to the shoot this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#1]
well, i tried to do some research... got wood blocks on rope, steel plates on rope, necco wafers?, empty shot shells.  nothing too revolutionary.

will look at walmart in 'bulk things to shoot up' section tomorrow before leaving.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Potatos. Come in a 10 lb. bag. Makes great mulch.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I like Oranges & tomatoes, but nothing is a good at reacting as cheap ass soda pop...shake & shoot...

I tried to get my tannerite this week....
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Wombat and I usually just stick clay pigeons out on a bank and shoot at them.  They shatter nicely when hit, they're cheap, and bright orange so they're easy to see.  Makes a good 75-100+ yard target.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2003 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Wombat and I usually just stick clay pigeons out on a bank and shoot at them.  They shatter nicely when hit, they're cheap, and bright orange so they're easy to see.  Makes a good 75-100+ yard target.  

I second that.  Usually $6 for a case o' 90 at a place like GI Joe's.  And cleanup is a non-issue because they're...uh...clay
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to shoot blocks of ice when I was a kid.......

t
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#7]
clay targets are $3.97 for 90 at the Lacey/Hawks Prarie wal-mart. exit 111 (marvin rd) off of I-90. just got a bunch of them in last night.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I used to shoot blocks of ice when I was a kid.......
t

But they've melted since then and he doesn't quite know what to do!
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 9:06:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I tried to get my tannerite this week....

You got it!
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Build yourself a handgun dualing tree or some long range "gong" targets.  Metal isn't really that expensive.  The long range targets will last much longer if you don't shoot the hell out of it with AP ammo.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 12:29:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I really wish I could find the pic's, but I will try to talk you through this...

get some 1x2 scrap 2 pc about 2 feet is great, then you take cardboard and staple it on both sides to make a sandwich type box, then you take another pc of cardboard and glue a standard police human type target to it, Now slip it into the "sandwich" (make sure it is really able to slide up and down, now lift it up as far as you want to expose (for head shots only lift it so the head shows, or if you want full body shots lift it as far as it will go and still be stable) then on the back side you duct tape a small water balloon to center mass and where it holds the target from slipping onto the sandwich, when you hot a good center mass shot it pops the balloon and your target drops, the smaller the balloon the harder it is to drop the target.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#12]
That's pretty inventive R-32; I like it!! We always just use clays and 2-liter bottles filled wth H2O but I will have to try the snadwich thing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Whatever happened to good old bowling pins?  
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Whatever happened to good old, road flair taped to a bottle of propane.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#15]
farmer's matches if you guys are the gambling type.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

At the risk of sounding stupid, do the bowling alleys keep a stock of old bowling pins? Or how would one go about getting some?
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

They often just get a small hole punched through them, but that just means you can shoot them again.

Wombat
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#18]
i was fooling around with a metal coat hanger the other night. if you break it in half, and do some creative bending on it then you can make it hold a clay pigeon up off the ground. make up a dozen of them, and stick them in the ground anywhere. i shot at it today, and it seemed to hold the pigeon pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a pellet gun I got out of the sportsman guide one time. It launches pellets at about 1000fps. I put a walmart scope on it and I used to set up little plastic army soldiers and blow their heads off at 30yards.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 6:15:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At the risk of sounding stupid, do the bowling alleys keep a stock of old bowling pins? Or how would one go about getting some?

They usually throw them away.  You call them ahead of time, ask if they can "donate" the old ones, and come over to pick them up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top