Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2003 3:39:03 PM EDT
Or at least in the Department of Natural Resources eyes it isnt. Ive been going up to the same shooting spot behind duvall  for a little over a year now, probably 70 visits so far just for the purpose of shooting. I guess last August DNR bought the land that I was told was Werhaeuser property. Well to make a long story short, went up there to breakin the PSL, and let my friend who came into town shoot the AK and the Sig, and a DNR officer stops us halfway up the trail.

"What are you guys doing up here?"
"Shooting, sir"
"Turn around, go home"
"uhhh?"
"Your not allowed to shoot here, cant you read signs? Leave, now"
"Uh...yeah...but..Ive been coming up here for ages, everyone up here has said its ok...what changed?"
"This is DNR property now, we bought it in August, its time for you to leave. No motorized vehicles on the logging road." <he turns to my friend>
"And you put on your seatbelt"
"Uhh excuse me sir, but your a DNR officer right? Cause your acting like a complete asshole. I understand the laws, but fuck off if your going to be condescending."

He just stared blankly, got back in my car and turned around.

Can you freaking beleive that? People have been hunting up there for at least 50 years, some 2 generations of family, and now its DNR land, and no motorized vehicles, shooting, camping, or fires are allowed. What the hell? Its pretty messed up that the government can now buy/acquire property that is already 80% clearcut, and then limit what free citizens can do in it.

I always said the day the government limits the amount of forest and nature that I can enjoy, then the government has overstepped its bounds.

Sounds like now the only place I can shoot is the pit, which is what, 40 minutes away from Duvall? And Duvall is already 30 minutes away!

Im a little peeved...I dont know the laws, but im damn well gonna research them.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#1]
That really sucks :( I was gonna ask you where it is cause Duvall isn't to far to get to from Sammamish.
I just joined the Snoqualmie Valley Rifle Club. Went out there with my girlfriend and fired off a few hundred rounds from my M4. First chance to do so. Had fun but it would be nice to have some other places where you can shoot a more variety of targets. They only allow paper, and plastic type targets. They mentioned steel targets out at the 200yd mark but thats about it. No organic targets either
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Sammamish huh? Im in Cimmaron, right up the street from the Safeway. Where you at?
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm over in a neighborhood called Summer Meadows which is on Issy-Pinelake RD. Its down the road from QFC and SunnyHills elementary school. SuperChicken and ColonelKlink live close by also.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 11:42:48 PM EDT
[#4]
did you get his name? (I have a couple buddys that work for DNR)....DNR land is public, and is supposed to be open to the public. I have been shooting on DNR land in the area or at least close to where you are talking about and have not had any prob's... what road do you access this place off of?...

This guy has to be full of himself.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 12:51:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn dude, no kidding? Im in that area too GT. Watch out for the blue WRX with exhaust and cracked windshield, thats me.

R-32: I access it off Stossel Creek RD. It does have a "no shooting" sign. Still wack, no one has cared before. He was an older dude, grey hair and all, with a tan/burgundy chevy silverado or something (4 door flatbed with toolchest.)

Left a sour taste in my mouth about DNR!
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Thats cool man. Yea I'll be looking for it. I saw a Blue WRX at Klahanie Fitness two days ago but I don't remember if it had a cracked windshield.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Uhh excuse me sir, but your a DNR officer right? Cause your acting like a complete asshole. I understand the laws, but fuck off if your going to be condescending."

Left a sour taste in my mouth about DNR!

And I'm sure that he has a fine impression of younger shooters now too.  sheesh!

So the basis of your tale is that the area used to be open for shooting, but now it's posted as off limits to shooting.  You saw the signs, pressed on to go shoot anyway, and got busted by the man.  Do I have that right?

Its pretty messed up that the government can now buy/acquire property that is already 80% clearcut, and then limit what free citizens can do in it.

You have no idea how often the government takes over property for their own purposes.  It happens all of the time.

The proper thing for you to do now is contact the DNR and find out when and why the area was made off limits to vehicles and shooting then find if it was done properly.  Governement agencies often put up signs that aren't legally binding ie take notice of signs at some city parks that will say firearms prohibited but they don't mention that your CPL is exempt from that sign.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Phil: Although I understand your point, my aspirations to make a good impression on some overweight DNR officer went out the window the second he started to treat me like I didnt deserve respect. Hell I felt better afterwards.

Now I just dont know where in the hell to go to shoot. Ive got no idea where the pit is, except that its off highway 2 isnt it?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#9]
You can go up I-90. Exit 47 and there are some others I guess. I've never been up there myself. I got SVRC to shoot at when I want to punch some paper or shoot plastic targets. Goes out to 200yds.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#10]
What kind of yardage can ya get up at exit 47? Exit 38 sucks range wise, id say the longest is about 40 yards.

Whats the SVCR requirements for membership/access? They wouldnt happen to have sillouette-knockdown targets would they?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#11]
You would have to ask SuperChicken about I-90 or maybe someone else knows.

You missed your chance to join SVRC this month as they only do memberships the first thurs of the month then have orientation the following saturday. There is a $40 initiation fee then I payed $30 for the membership. Normally its $70 for the whole year however I don't know how long my $30 goes till. You got to be 18. You can bring guests with you etc.  
They have a wooden target setup at 200yds where you can stick up targets. Then at other distances they have holes in ground in which they have target holders that stick in them. You just got to bring your own cardboard to place in the holder. They got a pistol range also. www.svrifle.com has more info also.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#12]
This is an older picture, before place got trashed. That's CK.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Suweeet...that right off the logging road? Can someone IM me relative directions? Ill be heading up tommorow with one of my buddies to break in the PSL and throw some rounds out of my Sig and AK47. Thanks guys!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Directions to exit 47 on the way! just gotta get them out of my car!

What time are you headed up there? I get off work at 2, but i need to stop buy GI Joes or Big5 and pick up ammo. GTCrispy and CK are coming also.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#15]
You the man, thanks bro! If any of you guys want, ya should come up tommorow!
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#16]
There is another place up past North Bend.

Take Exit 31 off I90 and turn left at the ned of hte off ramp.
Go to third stop light and turn right on North Bend Way.
Drive two blocks and turn left at the Chevy dealership onto Ballarat Street.
Continue 4.2 miles to the fork in the road and turn left (uphill) on the North Fork Country Road (USFS 57).
Continue on road for 16 miles. Look for gravel pit on the left after passing "Entering Mt Baker-Snoqualmie Nat'l Forest" sign.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 10:58:36 PM EDT
[#17]
We will head up to Exit 47 tommorow...not sure when, i have some female issues to take care of, lol.

Ill IM ya my contact info. Keep in mind we will be leaving from Sammamish, so a convoy might be in order!
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i have some female issues to take care of, lol.

You're having your period?
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Nah I ran out of Vagiclean...a little too much cheese on the taco...
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Nah I ran out of Vagiclean...

Try Vinigar....
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nah I ran out of Vagiclean...

Try Vinigar....

I would go with what R-32 says.  He would be an expert on the subject!
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
This is an older picture, before place got trashed. That's CK.
home.comcast.net/~superchicken308/gravelpit0012.jpg

Hey, SC--I was just telling dravisar how my brother and I got kicked out of that place last November...DNR said way too many Christmas tree cuttings going on at the time.  You're right about "before the place got trashed".  When I was last up there, an entire POS motor home had been dumped there.  Fun to shoot?  Sure, but just the kind of thing that'll eventually get it shut down.  I'm sure nothing short of a Chinook could exfil that sucker.

And I'll have to check out the North Bend spot.  You got any pics or descriptions of the pit?  Man, I sure miss the old pit in the Snoqualmie Tree Farm...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top