Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2003 5:30:14 PM EDT
Dont know if any of you saw my post on the AR general board, but last friday the state patrol and king county sherriffs seized my pack, along with 300 rounds of ammo/10 AR mags in it, because it was "dangerous" ammunition, and id previously been drinking (basically they busted up a party that had formed, gave a bunch of kids MIPs etc, and my pack was in my tent nearby, gun was locked in the trunk)

The pack also had my friends allergy medication in it (every time we go shooting/hiking he forgets it, and his eyes swell closed, lol) he had some kind words on the way home for the police...

Is that legal??
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know about the "legality" but it sounds to me like you are lucky they just didn't haul you in.

There's a fine line between the police doing something illegal, and cutting you a break. I myself probably wouldn't push the issue.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discretion is sometimes the better part of valor but the kid does have 10 magazines and a pretty pricey backpack being held by the PD.

Maybe you could anonymously call the on duty desk sergeant of a DIFFERENT station and ask him how to go about retrieving seized property?

Or find an adult friend to make some phonecalls to the PD inquiring what sort of trouble his little juvenile delinquent is in for being such a trouble maker last week at that party even though your brat wasn't issued a citation.

Keep in mind though that discretion is sometimes the better part of valor and brace yourself for having to dump your ruck and make tracks away from it fast.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#3]
In general,  they can't seize something unless a law has been violated.

If you violated no law,  they shouldn't have touched it.

You should contact any decent lawyer who gives a first consultation at no cost.   A simple phone call from him may get your stuff back, and if that happens,  pass him a fifty for his trouble and thank him.

CJ

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Dravisar

How old are you?  

Were you really hammered?   I wouldn't be surprised if you got the stuff back if you weren't breaking any laws.

I bet they just saw a drunk guy and loads of ammo and said to themselves let's seperate these.

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Dude, I just remembered that you want to be a SEAL.

Screw the legalize this calls for a raid. Sneak, peek, loot, and scoot away with your goods.

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Im 20, I blew a .070

Heh...Phil...you guys crack me up...
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:26:06 PM EDT
[#7]
What?  You don't like those ideas?

You can always try 12 dozen Krispy Kremes.

Use them as a bribe or a distraction so you can do a snatch and grab...
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Its always dangerous to be in the right when the government is in the wrong!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Im 20, I blew a .070

Heh...Phil...you guys crack me up...

If you know the names, IM them to me, I will check with my buddys and see what can be done, Im willing to bet that you will be able to just go pick it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top