Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Most of the hiking trails are on the south side of the lake.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Horseshoe to Elder Run to Middlecreek trail is not a bad hike.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 6:29:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I forgot to look things up last night.

I'd prefer to defer to others who know the trails better than I do for what will put us at the recommended distance and not destroy us with difficult conditions. Same thing with meeting points...
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Horseshoe trail from 322 to 501 looks like it would be roughly 3.5ish miles.

There's a parking lot at 322 at Pumping Station Rd and one at 501 at the pretzel hut.  I've never hiked it so I have no idea how difficult of a hike it is.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd like to go this Saturday but I have a prior commitment for much of the day. I'll get in on the next one.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Horseshoe trail from 322 to 501 looks like it would be roughly 3.5ish miles.

There's a parking lot at 322 at Pumping Station Rd and one at 501 at the pretzel hut.  I've never hiked it so I have no idea how difficult of a hike it is.
View Quote
@brandon_
I’ve hiked that section of the horseshoe trail several times.  It’s a bit of a climb from either side to the high point (Eagle Rock) at about the center, then a descent.  Doing that as an out and back with rucks might be a bit much for some beginners.  I’ve hiked from each side to the high point and back with my kids when they were about 8 and 6, but no rucks for them and slower than 3 mph.  It’s a nice hike but might be a bit tough to meet the standards for a first hike.  If you’re just going from one side to the other, starting at pumping station and finishing at pretzel hut is a gentler climb and steeper descent.

You can start at pumping station road and start on the horseshoe trail, then go into the scout camp for an easier hike.  I’m not sure the exact trails in there anymore, they’ve changed with the logging that was done recently.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#7]
A few points:

1) Unless you just really want to make this harder than the marches at Infantry OSUT, right out the gate, we should try doing them on some improved trails/roads that aren't very hilly.

2)

Quoted:
I’m in Chester County. I’m interested in getting together. Hiking, shooting or drinking bourbon. I’m a member at NHRPC and can meet up there if anyone is interested.
View Quote
You, sir, have my attention. PM me.

3)

I have an extra ruck. Its a first gen MOLLE II ruck (one of the early ones with the detachable sleeping bag carrier) in woodland camo. It's complete and serviceable. I also have most of the rifleman set that goes with it. I wasn't planning on selling this stuff on the EE, mostly because shipping the ruck will cost almost as much as anyone would pay for it, but if anyone really needs a ruck or other kit I would be willing to entertain various trades.

ETA: I would also be willing to loan it out for a hike, depending.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I am down, southern York. You boys pick a date and location, if I am off, I'll show
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm in Montgomery Co.  I have access to a lot of farm land in Dauphin Co.  I'm available most weekends.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm in Montgomery Co.  I have access to a lot of farm land in Dauphin Co.  I'm available most weekends.
View Quote
Good to see you around dude, been a while!

Dauphin county checking in.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Same here.. I'm going to try to get to the farm more often to do some shooting from vehicle.  I also want to put some binary targets in my Forester...so tired of that vehicle...haha

Quoted:

Good to see you around dude, been a while!

Dauphin county checking in.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Same here.. I'm going to try to get to the farm more often to do some shooting from vehicle.  I also want to put some binary targets in my Forester...so tired of that vehicle...haha
View Quote
Let me know when I'll drive up!
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Glad I found this.

Trexler Park has some decent trail with incline, decline and a great view at the top if you can make it! 60lbs of gear should make it a lot more challenging.  There are blue berries and raspberries along the trail as well you can pick at.

Another trail that’s decent with a great view is the one on the west side of the upper reservoir at green lane.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Bump.

Anyone make a date and time?  June 8th is coming quick.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
NE Philly suburbs.
Have pvs15
Have guns
View Quote
I thought I remember seeing you in here, too! @bleaman225

We definitely need to make this happen. I mapped out a route around Mt. Penn that should put us right around a 6 mile course, with a good chunk of paved road with bike lanes. Need to hike it to confirm, but should be an easier course.

Also, have the option of the Blue Marsh area. Lots of trails around there that aren't bad from what I recall.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:25:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I thought I remember seeing you in here, too! @bleaman225

We definitely need to make this happen. I mapped out a route around Mt. Penn that should put us right around a 6 mile course, with a good chunk of paved road with bike lanes. Need to hike it to confirm, but should be an easier course.

Also, have the option of the Blue Marsh area. Lots of trails around there that aren't bad from what I recall.
View Quote
I haven't been active in this thread because I've been really sick for about a month. I can't say that I will be in good shape, but I am totally up for a ruck hike. I'll probably do a small backpack the first time. (Work back up to my ruck by summer)

@dim1984 let me know how I can help you organize something.
Appalachian trail head by Wind Gap may be a good meeting place.
There is also a great couple of hikes in the Jim Thorpe region.

Lets make this happen.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I have some initiative and motivation, but not enough to drive any further east than NHRPC on a weekend I have overtime. Im probably more motivated than most. When I get home Im going to start a separate thread specific to people close to the river.

Or someone can beat me to it, that would be cool too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:46:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I took some time to scope out two options this evening.  Both are quite local to me.

First was a loop around Mount Penn, starting at the Pagoda.  Blue line is the proposed loop, measuring right at 6 miles. The red segment is 2.5 miles of paved road with bike lanes (also suitable for pedestrians). The back half of the loop is lightly traveled roads. Seems to be a decent spot for hiking since I saw similar numbers of people walking and cars (like 2 each) while driving it.

Pluses: all paved, some great views on Skyline drive (the red portion) and it's basically the perfect length.

Negatives: elevation changes and it IS Reading. I've never had any trouble up there, but...

Attachment Attached File

Next option would be hiking a portion of the Schuylkill River trail. As some of you know, it's a massive network of trails that follows the river from Reading to Philly.  There are still some gaps, but it includes roughly 75 miles of trails at this point, and there's also some portions that extend as far north as Hamburg and Frackville, although that section appears to be much more fragmented.

The tiny bit I walked near the Reading interchanges was pretty well maintained.

More info with decent maps: https://schuylkillriver.org/map/

Pros: much easier hiking, large portions are pedestrian and bike only. Many options for meetup points.

Cons: going to be an out and back hike unless we pre-stage vehicles.

Personally, after doing a 3.5 mile loop at a 16-17 minute pace with a light (approx 15 lb bag), I think the suggestion of keeping to reasonably flat, well maintained trails initally is a good idea.

Thoughts?

Either way, I plan to head out Saturday morning (2/22) to log some miles and get used to this sort of thing. I  realize it's short notice...

Then the next two weekends are full, but March 14, 21 and 28 are still open, so I plan to repeat the process on at least one of those dates.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm up for Saturday morning.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:14:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm up for Saturday morning.
View Quote
Awesome!

Any preference on the time or route?  I'm leaning towards towards a segment of the Thun trail around 8:30, but open to suggestions.   I'm headed west to Rosedale's night shoot, so it can't get too late, though

Just need one more to make this an official ruck.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#21]
No preference.  They're all new to me.  I should be free all day so time's not a factor.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#22]
If you gentlemen are doing the SRT Saturday may I suggest starting at the Brentwood trailhead and going towards Birdsboro? The section closer to the city (RACC, the South End) has several encampments, you'll see the tarps through the trees. There's a few switchbacks where you come around the turn and there's a couple "residents" sitting or standing idly by, just enjoying the air of course.

That's also the section where a bicyclist was jumped by 3 urban "utes" some years ago, they knocked him off the bike and started beating him. One went to the morgue, one survived a trip to the ER, and the third needed new underwear when he stopped running. Just for informational purposes, there was the usual outcry about carrying a weapon on the trail, which was silenced quickly by our DA. There is no law against carrying on the SRT.

I ride my bike there all the time, never seen anyone out of place from Brentwood East. That trailhead has a nice well lit paarking area, and a rack of trail maps. Have fun, if I ever get over this cold I'd love to join you!
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:11:46 AM EDT
[#23]
I like snuffy19608's suggestion.

I figured that the guys begging at the 422 ramps probably camped in that area, at least if they didn't have a place like some of the guys working the bridge.  I haven't seen them in the past week or two, now that I think about it.

Let's plan on 8:30 at the Brentwood trailhead (639 Morgantown Rd, Reading), unless someone needs a bit longer to get there.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:24:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Let's also get one planned for March.

14/15, 21/22, 28/29 are all open on my end. Anyone have trails near them that they would like to hit?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Let's plan on 8:30 at the Brentwood trailhead (639 Morgantown Rd, Reading), unless someone needs a bit longer to get there.
View Quote
That's only 40 minutes away from me.  I was mentally prepping for a 2 hour or so drive!
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I figured that the guys begging at the 422 ramps probably camped in that area, at least if they didn't have a place like some of the guys working the bridge.  I haven't seen them in the past week or two, now that I think about it.

View Quote
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Okay, I'm going to not fit every millennial stereotype by complaining about the time, the distance, or the weather. I'll be there.

Can we carry long guns on these trails?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Okay, I'm going to not fit every millennial stereotype by complaining about the time, the distance, or the weather. I'll be there.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Awesome! We have enough to be official.

Never done it, but supposed to be legal. I just don't want to be the only one.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#28]
What do we need?  30#s of stuff and a rifle?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
35 lbs, dry. Plus rifle.

45 lbs, dry. No rifle
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
35 lb ruck, dry weight. Or 45 lb and no rifle.

I'm not actually sure if dry weight means water can't be used as weight, if that's all it's for. Definitely don't count camelbak weight. I fill up my 2qt just to counter balance the weight of my E-tool, and never actually drink out of it. I'm 100% certain that I managed to never drink out of my 2 quart. Ever. 12 Years in, two deployments.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I’m down as well.  Just post the exact address as I’m not familiar with that location, and what time 08:30am or 8:30pm? Is this happening tomorrow or what?

May help to contact the local pd and just let them be aware there is a military/veteran hike going on in that area so they are not alarmed.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I’m down as well.  Just post the exact address as I’m not familiar with that location, and what time 08:30am or 8:30pm? Is this happening tomorrow or what?

May help to contact the local pd and just let them be aware there is a military/veteran hike going on in that area so they are not alarmed.
View Quote
Responded to your IM, but forgot to include that it's 8:30 AM.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Should be cold tomorrow until we get on the move.  I’m also assuming this is a paved or dirt/rock trail?

Looks very close to an urban area.  Did anyone make plans to notify local pd yet?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Should be cold tomorrow until we get on the move.  I’m also assuming this is a paved or dirt/rock trail?

Looks very close to an urban area.  Did anyone make plans to notify local pd yet?
View Quote
Yeah, looking a bit chillier than I expected, but all the better to encourage a brisk pace!  I haven't hiked the entire portion of the trail that we'll be using, but the sections that I'm acquainted with have a nice gravel base.

I have not notified any of the local jurisdictions - we'll be crossing several if my geography is correct.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:09:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I put a BFA on the AR I'm bringing. Plus I spray painted one of my magazines glossy high viz yellow and put a sticker from a banana on it. Local PD will know that I'm both non threatening and have a sense of humor.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:01:10 AM EDT
[#36]
I just put 45# in a pack.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:05:42 AM EDT
[#37]
You guys have fun tomorrow. I have to work but will catch you next time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#38]
First event is in the books. It was great meeting you guys and thank you for showing up and making this possible!

Next one is scheduled for March 21.  Location TBD, but I'd like to find something in the northern Lancaster county area since that's closer to a couple of you.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Group was Leprechaun-33-, Brasscrossedrifles, Brandon_, Matt5454, and I
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
First event is in the books. It was great meeting you guys and thank you for showing up and making this possible!

Next one is scheduled for March 21.  Location TBD, but I'd like to find something in the northern Lancaster county area since that's closer to a couple of you.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/316444/20200222_103134_jpg-1286542.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/316444/Screenshot_20200222-104125_MapMyRun_jpg-1286543.JPG
View Quote
A great pleasure meeting you guys, I look forward the next.  These blisters should be gone by then
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The Horseshoe Trail around Middlecreek is good hiking.
View Quote
The horseshoe trail about 5 miles from middle creek runs through my parents property.  We could shoot (no longrange) there.

I live in Berks county now but am down to travel
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I had a great time.  I'm sure tomorrow I'll hurt in ways I've never hurt before.  I wasn't sure if I'd be able to hold that pace but we all made it.

It was great meeting you guys and I'm glad I made it out!
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The horseshoe trail about 5 miles from middle creek runs through my parents property.  We could shoot (no longrange) there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are trail conditions like?

We definitely realized that flatter trails with good conditions help a lot in meeting baseline pace requirements.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

We definitely realized that flatter conditions with good conditions helps a lot in meeting baseline pace requirements.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We definitely realized that flatter conditions with good conditions helps a lot in meeting baseline pace requirements.
Yeah, this.  If it's steep and/or rocky it would be extremely difficult to make time.  I felt like we were hauling ass this morning.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah, this.  If it's steep and/or rocky it would be extremely difficult to make time.  I felt like we were hauling ass this morning.
View Quote
?? I thought I was the only one thinking that.  I am out of shape but that made me feel really out of shape lol. Now I’m motivated.  I’m gonna multiple that gps step count by two considering the leads (dlm1984) strides to mine lol. Pretty sure I was taking 2/3 steps to his 1. Def a great work out!
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
?? I thought I was the only one thinking that.  I am out of shape but that made me feel really out of shape lol. Now I’m motivated.  I’m gonna multiple that gps step count by two considering the leads (dlm1984) strides to mine lol. Pretty sure I was taking 2/3 steps to his 1. Def a great work out!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely at least a 1.5 multiplier!

I expected we were going to lose more time on the return leg and stops to adjust gear than we did.

Mile 4 was slow due to the pause at the halfway point, but numbers look good!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:42:53 PM EDT
[#46]
The horseshoe trail may not be a great idea after all.

Did you guys carry rifles?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The horseshoe trail may not be a great idea after all.

Did you guys carry rifles?
View Quote
Two of us brought them, but neither of us opted to carry them overtly, rather chosing to pack them covertly. It saved me 2 lbs!
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Two of us brought them, but neither of us opted to carry them overtly, rather chosing to pack them covertly. It saved me 2 lbs!
View Quote
You, I (Colt SBR wrapped with shamagh and a S&W Shield on hip) and Brasscrossedrifles had rifles.  Brasscrossedrifles  was wrapped with a jacket ontop his ruck horizontal with a yellow BFA on the barrel.
I think it was Brandon with a pistol in kydex holster.  The other guy with the black back pack and glasses, he was ultra concealed if he did have something.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Guess I miscounted rifles!

I thought about carrying my full size M&P 9, but I barely noticed my Shield, so it was the right call.

My rifle, which is getting a workout at a night shoot out towards Pittsburgh:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#50]
The top one was what I carried without the Saker

Attachment Attached File
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top