Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2017 6:16:07 PM EDT
I am considering purchasing a house by itself  or with some land some land in PA so I can enjoy a free state. The drive would be about 2-2.5 hrs but on days I work I can stay in Buffalo with family for free. I qualify for the Vet property tax exemption in PA as far as I can tell where as NY is only a %25 reduction.

Anyone else ever done something like this?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't even consider less than 10 acres.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I live in NE PA (Northampton County) and work in NYC, I only own .75 acres but if I did it again I'd purchase 10+. I currently commute 85 miles one way.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:03:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I live in Bradford county, right on the border. I work 7 miles from home, in NY. Works for me.  I couldn't see driving hours everyday, though. Shit would get old FAST. 
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Just find a job in PA.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#5]
You want real tax savings that really come from state and federal is convert it too a farm which will take three years if its not already a farm.. Goats are very easy to raise...

Taxes drop a lot.. The land becomes very cheap the only thing that is not covered would be house etc.. and it gets deducted from the acres... best bet is like 12 acres of land that way you got the cover for the min 10 acre rule..  

The key is the land does not have to be continuous as long as it adds up to 10 acres and have "farm animals" you can get a huge savings..

Look at all the actors in Hollywood they all own a farm.. There is a reason for that.. TAXES
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I wonder if the whole farm thing is really needed since I am exempt due to my vet status? But the tax savings and gun laws are a the main reasons I want to be over the state line.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top