Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2017 3:44:05 PM EDT
My Dad is getting weaker but wants to fish the river. He can't climb the banks we used to fish so I was curious if any of you have easy access spot suggestions.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Not my neck of the state OP; here's to hoping someone can offer you something.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not my neck of the state OP; here's to hoping someone can offer you something.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#3]
There may be some easy  access along the banks below the spillway at raystown lake.  
Maybe also some near where the flea market at water street was/is.   They have a bike trail along there now.

I used to fish the little juniata a lot from above spruce creek to near barree.  Used to be great for brown trout.  Big strong browns, with beautiful color.  The state would stock hundred of thousands of fingerlings every year.  But then some know it all a-holes convinced the state there was too much mortality  of the fingerlings and enough natural reproduction.  
Well there isn't, and there seemed to be a fraction of the insect hatches (and nymphs) too.
All I caught on my last couple trips were some pasty stocked browns and rainbows (which never used to be in the little J), and barely any insects the second week of june.  Used to be filthy with late hatches of sulfurs and lt cahills that time of year.   Also no sign of the big pteronarsis stoneflies, or caddis.
There are a few relatively easy access spots at the midstate trail parking lot near barree.  That was always my favorite stretch.  One right at the parking lot.  And if he can walk a half mile, there are some spots upstream along the access path  that are close to the river and not steep.
There should be a couple places further upriver near the Greer School.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There may be some easy  access along the banks below the spillway at raystown lake.  
Maybe also some near where the flea market at water street was/is.   They have a bike trail along there now.

I used to fish the little juniata a lot from above spruce creek to near barree.  Used to be great for brown trout.  Big strong browns, with beautiful color.  The state would stock hundred of thousands of fingerlings every year.  But then some know it all a-holes convinced the state there was too much mortality  of the fingerlings and enough natural reproduction.  
Well there isn't, and there seemed to be a fraction of the insect hatches (and nymphs) too.
All I caught on my last couple trips were some pasty stocked browns and rainbows (which never used to be in the little J), and barely any insects the second week of june.  Used to be filthy with late hatches of sulfurs and lt cahills that time of year.   Also no sign of the big pteronarsis stoneflies, or caddis.
There are a few relatively easy access spots at the midstate trail parking lot near barree.  That was always my favorite stretch.  One right at the parking lot.  And if he can walk a half mile, there are some spots upstream along the access path  that are close to the river and not steep.
There should be a couple places further upriver near the Greer School.
View Quote
Unfortunately a half mile isn't doable. He has lung cancer and very low energy. There is a pad right below the damn and several spots fairly level to the river along the road down to the point.

He doesn't care much for the breast down to the point though due to the lack of smallmouth on that stretch.

I'll check out those barree suggestions as I'm sure he'd love possible  trout action too. Thank you
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Parking lot at the bridge in Newton Hamilton.  Just don't drive in the grass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top