Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2017 10:51:02 AM EDT
Hey all,
Doing my big move from NY to central PA this weekend and will be bringing my 4 egg-layer chickens.

Last weekend I saw a fisher cat in my yard and it went under my shed.
I'm assuming that it's home currently.

Obviously I don't want to bring my chickens over if they'll be dinner for the fisher.

How can I have the fisher and any offspring legally removed or terminated?
Is it legal to trap them if they are a nuisance?
Do I have to call a professional?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Only had to deal with raccoons an opossums in NY.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 5:30:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't mean you can't get a permit or something, might even be legal since it's private property and possibly a problem animal. Personally I would rather have a Fisher than a chicken.

FISHERS (WMUs 1B, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 2G, 2H, 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 4D and 4E): Dec. 16-27. One fisher per license year. Licensed furtakers may obtain one permit each.

No open season on other wild birds or mammals.
Waterfowl and Migratory Game Bird seasons to be established in accordance with federal regulations following the March 10 Waterfowl Symposium.

http://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/Law/Pages/SeasonsandBagLimits.aspx
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:16:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.
I'll look into it further.
For some reason I thought they were protected in PA.
And don't get me wrong, fishers are awesome for rodent and small animal control from the farm behind us, but my family wants to bring our chickens on the move.
Can't change that unfortunately.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Well since one per year they are protected to a point, the population is getting larger from what I have read.  Where in central pa?

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
but my family wants to bring our chickens on the move.
Can't change that unfortunately.
View Quote
Ask if they can come to Pa. extra crispy in a picnic basket?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well since one per year they are protected to a point, the population is getting larger from what I have read.  Where in central pa?

Ask if they can come to Pa. extra crispy in a picnic basket?
View Quote
I already suggested that transporting fried chicken was easier.

And I'm moving to York County.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I spoke with my neighbor and apparently he has a family of groundhogs living under his shed which is next to my shed.

So it's looking like I saw mr.groundhog not a fisher.

I'll know for sure when I start rebuilding my shed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Pump sprayer with ammonia will drive it out, block all exits but one and place live trap at exit point.

Had a few hogs and skunks move under mine. Every time I would evict one, another would move in. The ammonia tricked worked great to lead them into the trap each time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pump sprayer with ammonia will drive it out, block all exits but one and place live trap at exit point.

Had a few hogs and skunks move under mine. Every time I would evict one, another would move in. The ammonia tricked worked great to lead them into the trap each time.
View Quote
awesome idea. thanks!
I saw a large opossum climb under my shed, and made a visual confirmation on the groundhog.
Ammonia and live traps will be deployed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top