Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2017 10:25:21 AM EDT
There's a possibility of moving to PA in my future.

Looking at the Montour, Columbia, Northumberland area probably.

Looks rural, which sounds good to me.  Grew up in a small farming community in Texas.

Any areas to avoid or target housing wise?  Coming up in August to check things out.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful area - I love that part of PA.  I pass through the Northumberland and Montour areas every once on a while, but I don't know what the housing situation is, or if theres particular areas to avoid.  I don't think you can go too far wrong in those areas, but again, my experience with it is limited.  There may be parts that are a little more economically depressed than other areas of the state, but if you have a good job its a beautiful place.  Land is comparatively cheap compared to the southeastern part of the state, less populated, and you can easily pick up a nice sized parcel for shooting.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Shaggy.

Looking forward to my trip.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I am from Berwick, don't go there.  In which town are you looking to be work? I left the area in 2002 (USAF) and returned to PA in 2008 to the Harrisburg area.  My family is all still up there in Luzerne county near the Columbia county line.  Lots of drug running and small time cookers in the rural areas outside Wilkes-Barre.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am from Berwick, don't go there.  In which town are you going to be working? I left the area in 2002 and returned to PA in 2008 to the Harrisburg area.  My family is all still up there in Luzerne county near the Columbia county line.
View Quote
Wife is in healthcare and looking at Geisinger in Danville.

I haven't even looked for work yet, waiting to see if she's going to like the hospital first.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#5]
The Danville/Bloomsberg area has some nice homes.  Bloomsberg being a college town there's that to deal with.  There should be plenty of rural places to choose from.  I don't know too much more specific about the Danville area.  If I did I don't know how current/relevant my info would be. The rural small town nature of PA is nice when you're removed from the cities(Pittsburgh, Philly,).  The Harrisburg region isn't bad but I crave a more rural setting for my next home rather than a town house that was cheap while I was in college.

Is she looking at any other major hospitals?  I know Geisinger has a sister hospital through merger here in Harrisburg as well as Harrisburg having Pinnacle Health and then there's the Penn State Medical Center.  Just food for thought.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#6]
If your wife is in healthcare, for the love of God don't let her work for Pinnacle Health!
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Grew up in PA now live in AZ. I can't imagine having to move back to PA. It is hard to beat the Southwest Sun and weather. Visiting for less than a week depression sets in for me.....good luck I do miss the creeks and rivers and good dirt to ride motocrosss. We had farms in the family and lots of land it is all gone thanks to a highway so no desire to go back.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Bump.  Heading that way Saturday
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#9]
if you really want to live in the sticks in PA, http://wvumedicine.org/ruby-memorial-hospital/  just built or is in the process of building a 10 story addition.  Its in WV, but only a  hop skip and jump from PA. The closest County in PA is to the north and its Greene county.   You know whats made in Greene county?  Cerro Forge lowers! (keyhole)

Greene county is straight up hillbilly.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
if you really want to live in the sticks in PA, http://wvumedicine.org/ruby-memorial-hospital/  just built or is in the process of building a 10 story addition.  Its in WV, but only a  hop skip and jump from PA. The closest County in PA is to the north and its Greene county.   You know whats made in Greene county?  Cerro Forge lowers! (keyhole)

Greene county is straight up hillbilly.
View Quote
It's less of a "I want to live somewhere in PA" move and more of a "wife got offered a specific job" move, so I think we're mostly looking at central Pennsylvania.

Don't get me wrong, I've heard good things about big parts of the state and I'm excited about the possibility of exploring everything, but it is more focused right now on one potential job and the area around it than trying to find the ideal place to move in PA.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#11]
That's great that she has an offer.

If that doesn't work out.... check out Brave, PA.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's great that she has an offer.

If that doesn't work out.... check out Brave, PA.
View Quote
Thanks, will do.

I'll be in Selinsgrove and the surrounding area all next week if anyone wants to meet up for lunch Monday-Friday.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks, will do.

I'll be in Selinsgrove and the surrounding area all next week if anyone wants to meet up for lunch Monday-Friday.  
View Quote
If I didn't have a category 5 shitstorm brewing for work next week, I'd happily make the drive.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If I didn't have a category 5 shitstorm brewing for work next week, I'd happily make the drive.
View Quote
Next time, then.  

I gotta say looking at real estate has made me laugh.

Down here most houses have attached garages and fireplaces..neither of which seems like an important feature in central Texas.

Looking up there where yall have actual winters, a lot of houses have detached garages and outdoor pools.  Given the weather of the two states, you'd think that would be opposite.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:26:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Enjoying the area so far.  Just might be a move in my future...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm right near the Wyoming/Lackawanna county line but head down towards Williamsport for work frequently.
There are some nice things in the area.

We moved from Fort Bend Co. last year.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#17]
im in lackawanna county. pro tip stay away from mt. pocono area, its over run with ny and nj assholes
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I am in Dingmans Ferry and completely agree with the above post.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#19]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x9NsUO5Ppw
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top