Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2006 5:08:15 AM EDT
Can anyone recommend a good camp ground with activities with in driving distance of NYC? I'm really in NJ but live 5 minutes from NYC. I'm looking to take my 5 year old, 10 year old and their cousins (ages 7, 11 & 13) to a camp ground. There would be 2 or 3 adults going too. I would like a place with activities like fishing, swimming, camp fire, barbecue, boating and archery. A log cabin would be nice for the kids. If I were going myself with other adults tents would be fine, but since we have kids going I would prefer a cabin. Does anyone think my 5 year old daughter is too young?

I'm looking to spend a weekend at a time due to my work hours, but want to get in a full 2 days. I want to leave on a Friday and come home Sunday after dinner. Later in the summer I may take them for a week at a time, but for now it will have to be for the weekends.

Any suggestions?

PS I also posted this in the NY/NJ Hometown but thought PA folk might be able to help
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:46:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never been to any, and don't know any names off the top of my head, but there are a lot of campgrounds in the pocono mountain area.

If you could possibly take a 4 or 5 day stretch, check out Lake Raystown Resort. They have a waterpark, mini-golf course, swimming, and as much outdoor activity as you can stand. Its located near me in Huntingdon county, the resort is probably 45 miles south of State College.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Groundfire....  
       Check out the Pa. State Park System....  They have cabins at several parks in Northeast Pa.  and the prices are great....  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:56:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Hello,
World's End state park is one of the best in PA, IMO.  Rustic Campground with lots of hiking and a creek to swim, fish and tube down.  They even have nightly nature shows for the kids.  It is in Lycoming county.  I am guessing a 3-3.5 hr trip for you.  The Poconos are closer, but I think they are too crowded/comercial.
Good luck.
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/worldsend.aspx
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#4]
The PA State Park looks good for adults but I'll be with kids and want them to have tha best time they can have. It seems to isolated. Lake Raystown Resort looks perfect but too far.

Anyone go here?
driftstone
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Driftstone is nice but I think you need a 3 night stay, and I know you need to book it like now. We were there a few times, nice family place and kid friendly. Slumber Valley is also a nice family camp ground, it is up by Meshoppen Pa.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've never been to any, and don't know any names off the top of my head, but there are a lot of campgrounds in the pocono mountain area.

If you could possibly take a 4 or 5 day stretch, check out Lake Raystown Resort. They have a waterpark, mini-golf course, swimming, and as much outdoor activity as you can stand. Its located near me in Huntingdon county, the resort is probably 45 miles south of State College.  

Raystown is great.  If you have a boat you can't ask for anything else to do either!  I'm only 1/2 hr from there.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Raystown is great.  If you have a boat you can't ask for anything else to do either!  I'm only 1/2 hr from there.

Really? May I ask where, exactly? Im curious, as I live about 10 miles from the lake. PM if you like.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#8]
PM sent Travis.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top