Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/22/2006 7:52:15 AM EDT
Allow me to introduce myself. I am born and raised in Louisiana but did that 4 year stint thing called college up in PA. Well, the job market tanked here thanks to Katrina and I've just found a place in Philly. It's right off of 76 in that area called Manayunk/Roxborough. Anyway, I'm looking for a local gun club or range I could join in the area. I prefer outdoor ranges. I also would like to be able to shoot rifles and possibly shotguns. Are there any gun clubs that are within a reasonable distance from where I will be? I'm guessing it might be a little too urban for a good range. Anyway, during my college years I went to a few ranges in PA. I've been to that Water & Wings one yall seem to like but I'm afraid that would be too far of a drive for just some range time. Anyway, thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:09:25 AM EDT
Can't help you with your range question, but welcome to the area. I grew up in lower merion which is right on the opposite side of I76.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:55:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2006 10:37:28 AM EDT by tttony]
They're are plenty of gun clubs , and ranges in the general area. Most are less than 1/2 hour drive. However, if you want to shoot "big boy toys", ie. belt fed etc., then you're gonna have to drive to the surrounding "free" counties. What made you want to move into that shit hole? Don't get me wrong , I was raised in the Society Hill / Old City sections, but philly in general just doesn't equal the outer counties. Now about the Mayor , well , enough said about him.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:01:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tttony:
They're are plenty of gun clubs , and ranges in the general area. Most are less than 1/2 hour drive. However, if you want to shoot "big boy toys", ie. belt feed etc., then you're gonna have to drive to the surrounding "free" counties. What made you want to move into that shit hole? Dont get me wrong , I was raised in the Society Hill / Old City sections, but philly in general just doesn't equal the outer counties. Now about the Mayor , well , enough said about him.

reason, employment. I guess I could have commuted but I don't know the area and what traffic is like. I didn't buy a house, just leasing a 2 bedroom row house for a year.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:07:04 PM EDT
welcome to the area

Originally Posted By DocBrooks:

Originally Posted By tttony:
They're are plenty of gun clubs , and ranges in the general area. Most are less than 1/2 hour drive. However, if you want to shoot "big boy toys", ie. belt feed etc., then you're gonna have to drive to the surrounding "free" counties. What made you want to move into that shit hole? Dont get me wrong , I was raised in the Society Hill / Old City sections, but philly in general just doesn't equal the outer counties. Now about the Mayor , well , enough said about him.

reason, employment. I guess I could have commuted but I don't know the area and what traffic is like. I didn't buy a house, just leasing a 2 bedroom row house for a year.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:17:49 PM EDT
Come out to the Rally Point shoot I'm holding. You'll find tons of like minded folks and you'll get tons of feedback about local ranges.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:33:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DocBrooks:
Allow me to introduce myself. I am born and raised in Louisiana but did that 4 year stint thing called college up in PA. Well, the job market tanked here thanks to Katrina and I've just found a place in Philly. It's right off of 76 in that area called Manayunk/Roxborough. Anyway, I'm looking for a local gun club or range I could join in the area. I prefer outdoor ranges. I also would like to be able to shoot rifles and possibly shotguns. Are there any gun clubs that are within a reasonable distance from where I will be? I'm guessing it might be a little too urban for a good range. Anyway, during my college years I went to a few ranges in PA. I've been to that Water & Wings one yall seem to like but I'm afraid that would be too far of a drive for just some range time. Anyway, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

If you're looking for something *IN* Philadelphia I can't recommend any higher than South Philadelphia Archery & Gun at 831 Elsworth in South Philly. By far the nicest range in the city and they'll let you shoot handguns, rifles, and shotguns (Only place in the city that lets you shoot rifles). Hell, they let me shoot my NFA M16 there.

I'm not sure if there's anything closer to you out in Manyunk, but for me SPAG is the best since I live in center city.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:01:56 PM EDT
IF you don't mind a bit of a comute, you might try this place out.

Shooters from New Jersey, Maryland and Delaware come here to shoot.

New Holland - New Holland Rifle & Pistol Club, Inc., PO Box 195, New Holland, PA 17557.
Phone: 717-354-0471
Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (25, 50 yds), Indoor Pistol (22 rf, 50 ft), Outdoor Rifle (50 to 600 yds), Indoor Rifle (22 rf, 50 ft)
Range Access: Private

Meetings are every 2nd Tuesday night at 7:00.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:17:18 AM EDT
Welcome to Philadelphia!

A bit of a drive for you is the Holmesburg Fish & Game club. It's off State Rd. & Pennypack St in NE Philly. Behind the police academy. 100 yard rifle range, 25 yard pistol. Membership is required.
I was a member for years, but let it lapse.

Don't foget to get your carry permit. You just may need it living here.

JoeLad
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:39:31 AM EDT
Welcome to the area!
There is a range in Southampton, maybe 30-40 minutes from Manayunk called 'Classic Pistol'.
Its indoors and has 25 yard ranges. They allow handgun, any caliber rifle, shotgun, and full-auto.
If you cant afford your own NFA toys you can rent an M16, MP5, Tommy Gun, etc. Really nice range and perfect for short yardage shooting.

There is also an outdoor 100 yard range another 10 minutes north of there which is great for rifle and shotgun. No full auto or rapid fire, but you can shoot just about whatever you like. They also let you shoot handguns at a 25 yards range on the side. There is a trap range I see people on shooting clays all the time.

Look me up when you get into the area.
I can bring you as a guest to Classic pistol and save you a few bucks so you can check it out.
Shoot me an IM if interested. They are very black rifle friendly!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:33:09 PM EDT
Welcome to PA. I have visited Classic Pistol and it is a nice indoor range and has a good rental selection if you want to try something different. I live in Lancaster and belong to MillCreek Sportsman but would like to get some info on The New Holland club is anyone has a number or web address
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:35:01 PM EDT
Welcome to Philly. I live in East Falls so we are practically neighboors. I used to be a member at Langhorne Rod and Gun but had to drop out due to lack of work.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:38:44 PM EDT
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be moving in this coming Monday (the 6th) so I'll probably be busy for that first weekend or so. I'd definately like to get out somewhere and shoot with some of yall. Unfortunately for me (and anyone I'd be shooting with) all I'm going to have up there at first is a little Kahr P9 and my M700. I'm moving piece by piece from down here in Louisiana. Also, anyone happen to know when I'll have to get PA plates and a PA license? I went to school in Bethlehem, PA (Lehigh University) so that's really the only area of PA I've spent any significant amount of time in. I'll check back on this thread in a bit.. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:07:46 PM EDT
If you come down to Delaware County on I95 south and exit a Market Street Delaware Couny Field and Stream Association is a great club. Maybe 40 min. from you. Check out DCF&S.com or .org, something like that. We have 100 yd rifle, 75yd muzzle loader, 25&50yd pistol, trap, table trap, sporting clays, skeet, achery, & air rifle. Voted NRA #1 club.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:09:25 PM EDT
Welcome to Philly!
I am a member at a place called Holmsburg Fish and Game http://www.holmesburgfishandgame.com

We have a nice skeet and trap fields, as well as 100 yard rifle range and a pistol range.
Shotgun stuff happens most nights during the week. So stop by!
We are located on 5100 Pennypack Street
Philadelphia, PA 19136

Probably 15- 25 mins away from where you live. I have gotten from City Line ave to the club in less than 15 min some times so it isn’t that far. Come on by and check us out. Ask for Jerry or Bob!

Best
Ryan
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:03:35 AM EDT
I live about 15 mins from you right near king of Prussia.
I tend to shoot indoor pistol at either.
Target World in montgomeryville
French Creek Outfitters in phoenixville(my favorite indoor range)
Targetmasters on 202
Classic Pistol
I've never really traveled any further east towards the city to shoot but I'm sure there are places.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:46:32 PM EDT
Classic Pistol is my favorite spot near Philly. The best gun shop in the area (by far, IMO) is Surplus City on Bustleton Pike. Most of the indoor ranges in Philly suck because they don't allow you to shoot your own ammo. They make you buy theirs (for insurance reasons, of course .
Top Top