Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/17/2006 3:35:04 PM EDT
Is it legal for me to have a handgun with me while camping in PA?
It would not be carried concealed on my person, while hiking I would put it in my pack, disassembled if needed

I should have gotten around to mailing in my CCW application a cpuple months ago as then it wouldn't matter
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:03:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:35:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/17/2006 6:39:03 PM EDT by AKsRule]
Some reference material..........

www.packing.org/state/pennsylvania/

www.psp.state.pa.us/PSP/Lib/psp/PDF/FIREARM_BROCHURE.pdf

www.lcav.org/states/pennsylvania.asp

Basically - NO CARRY WITHOUT LICENSE - EVEN IN A VEHICLE
(unloaded and in a container is ok )
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open Carry on PRIVATE PROPERTY ( with permission of owner) OK

This would apply to a commercial campsite or private land you camp on.
But Not State Parks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't fire warning shots at Furry woodland creatures out of season.

There is no registration or licensing of "firearms" (handguns) as far as possession in PA.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:17:21 AM EDT
Nope. But it's fairly easy to get a non-resident permit; and if you don't have a permit in your own state, you can still get a sportsman's permit that allows you to have a handgun in your posession while hunting, fishing, etc. No "application" to jump through to get this one, and it's available through any county treasurer.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:04:38 PM EDT
OK I will make this SIMPLER.

If you can legally buy and possess a Handgun in your State of Residence,

You can bring it into PA and Possess it at your Residence or Place of Business.

You Cannot carry it concealed ,or loaded in a Vehicle UNLESS you have
a CARRY LICENSE recognized by PA.

You can Transport it in your vehicle UNLOADED, and in a case - ammo stored separately.

A privately owned campsite - privately owned property - or a Hotel/Motel room
would be considered your RESIDENCE.

Hunting regulations are a totally separate area of discussion.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:24:58 AM EDT
thanks for the info
in the rush to grab stuff as I left to go yesterday I forgot the gun so it wouldn't have mattered anyway

I have the application to get my PA non-resident CCW from Centre County, just need to make a new photo copy of my dl and NY CCW, and find two friends willing to be references for something gun related
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:18:13 PM EDT
If you are camping in the National Forest you can have your weapon with you as far as I am aware.
My understanding is that you can open carry and shoot pretty much wherever, so long as you are 100 yards from a road, water, or structure. The only NF is Allegheny in the NW corner of the state. I have camped up there a few times and had no issues with shooting an AR for afternoons full of mag dumps. Never even saw another person when I was up there!

Check with the local rangers..they can give you the law of the land.
As for non-NF land....get yourself a non-resident LTC.

Enjoy!
Top Top