Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 5:06:16 PM EDT
Hello, I am working on my first build.  I started by buying 3 polish underfolder kits. have  I need help!

Is there anyone close to York, PA that I can pay to use their press or have them press it out for me?  I am willing to drive upto 2hours one way for the help.  Name your price also.  Thank you in advance for the help.

(I was at the Valley Forge Show this past weekend and came home with 2 more polish underfolder kits!  I just couldnt resist the prices!  I got a grade 1, the best kit I have ever seen I might add for $200.00 and a grade 2 for $150.00.)  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:55:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I live about an hour from York in Shippensburg. I have a large floor model drill press in my workshop. I have no idea how you would use a drill press for what you need, since I have never built an AK, but may be able to help you out.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:38:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never built one, but I think you need a hydraulic press, not a drill press.

And edited to add: Sorry, I don't have one of them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#3]
i think you can use an automotive "gear puller" to remove the barrel, but you need to be a little creative.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#4]
If you use a drill press to remove the barrel pin, then you are going to have to replace it with a new one, as the old one will have a big ol hole through it. I think you meant a hydraulic press as well. You can buy a 12 ton press at homier.com for about $50 plus shipping, or at Harbor freight for $100 or so. I even hear that Harbor freight will meet the $50 price if you bring them a print out of the $50 ad. You could also look for a local building party to help you out.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys!  Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#6]
a drill press is very useful in making holes in the reciver for the hardware and rivets,..

you could use a hyd. press but it is not nessary for removal of either the barrel pin or barrel

ive gotten all mine out with a homemade shim,.pin punch,.and 16oz orange ball peen hammer,..12in brass drift for barrel removal

hope this helps

find a big/thick enough washer that will come fulsh with the rest of the trunnion,...chop it up so it will not hit the pin,..you may need 2-3 washers and some tape to keep it all together while you hammer the barrel pin out.

being these are polish and not the rommy "g" kits you should  not have a problem getting things to move.

suggested tools include a grinder(not neccary,.. but way more fun,..and faster to boot),..a dremel with fiber re-enforced cut off wheels,.a set of pin punches,. brass drift,..a good hammer,.vice,..anvil or other good hammering surface,..small and large files,..wd-40,..penatrating oil,..anti-seize,..cutting oil (for drilling,.so bits dont break),..a propane torch wont hurt either.

im up in schuylkill co. near pottsville,.i have a krink kit i have to de-mil,.. but i am still lacking the tools to assemble,. such as a hyd press,..trigger guard rivet jig,..rivet squisher,..barrel press set up.

if your wondering yes i have built my own,.....

it is the one on the right,..in fact it is my first completed rifle.

i have the know how,..but lack the tools
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:11:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Cruzie27!  I got my wife to get me a 12 ton hydrolic press from Harbor Frieght for $109.00!! (Christmas present!  My other x-mas present from her is a Vector Underfolder! )  I also have a rivet squeezer and trigger jig so if you would like, you're more than welcome to come over sometime to use the aforementioned.  I'll IM you my phone number.  Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#8]
ahhh very kind of you,...i will take you up on this when i get my recivers and time off from work.
sadly global is closed till the second,( 2 jan 06)...and i would be supprised if i get my recivers within the next month.

a underfolder for christmas!! ,..shit thats great!,.. i only got a makarov (russian)

im still looking for a barrel press,. or at least the chuncks of  alum. to make one. i also have a post up for quarterbore. he knows and has more experiance than me,. so we would both benifit from meeting up with him.

have a great new year and let us know how the underfolder shoots
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#9]
sure, I'll post some pics when done.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top