Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2005 2:21:26 PM EDT
With W&W's future in doubt, I'd like to find a new place to call home for my weekend shooting.  The range must be black rifle friendly please.  I welcome your suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Gary
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd suggest searching at http://www.wheretoshoot.org/wts_search.asp you can search by zip+distance of the W&W zip. There were quite a few within 30 miles of 18041.

What's up w/ W&W anyway? Are they thinking about closing for good?
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi Gary; sorry to hear that W&W might be closing. I went there only once, but it's a good range if you like to shoot further than 100 yds. With the public range at Nockamixon closed for now, ( I ran into a fellow over the weekend who told me that he and other gunners in the area are going to try to get permission from the State to bring the range up to current standards at no cost to the State) the only other range I would suggest is Wicen's Range on Mozart Rd. off of Sugarbottom Rd. down from Rt. 263 in Furlong. I shoot my AR15s there as well as my 1911s. Shotguns are also permitted. They have a few rules - no ammo like tracers or exploding rounds, no rapid fire of rifles - handguns yes - but not rifles. You have to allow a pause between rounds, so the nitwit neighbors can tell you're not shooting full auto. You have to table your weapons upon command of the range officer, and step back from your table while anyone is downrange( the tables are for left or right handers - but are not covered - rain can make the day suck). There's no membership fees,and the cost is $10. for the day, if you should need to leave the range for ammo or targets - just let them know before leaving and you can return without paying again. Range is open 9am to 5pm Wed. through Sat and 10am to 5pm Sun. (in the Summer 9am to 3pm on Sun) and  it's closed Mon. and Tue. and Holidays. They have frames made of 2x4s; and use cardboard panels to tape your targets to. The frames are portable, so you move them out to the distance you desire, up to 100yds. The Wicen's are always there controlling the range, so it's very safe and organized. I appreciate this way of conducting the range, but some people might not like it being so regulated. It's safe and predictable - and that's a good thing. Any other questions I'll try to help you with or you can email Joe Wicen at       [email protected]   or visit their site at  http://wicenshootingrange.com/             Take care; Stephen.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi Gary,

I am a member of Bucks County Fish and Game in Doylestown. It's around 60 dollars a year and they are black rifle friendly. There a no mag limits. A one shot per two second rule is strictly enforced. The rifle range goes out to 100yds and the pistol range is from 7yds to 25 yds. Here is a link to the website......

http://www.bcfg.org/

If you would like to come as my guest in order to check the place out feel free to send me an e-mail or instant message.

Regards,

Matt
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Matt...I appreciate the invite!  

Gary
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 4:01:54 AM EDT
[#5]
WTF is happenning to all our clubs ???

Seems like every goddamn club I join decides to outlaw politically incorrect firearms, or closes up.
Daniel Boone Rod & Gun outlawed semi-autos, mag fed rifles and silencers, Hamburg Rifle & Pistol banned MG's, Mill Creek Rod & Gun banned MG's, and now W & W is closing ???
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:07:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Sadly it's a sign of the times
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Bucks County Fish and Game  single year membership for new adult male members is $100. Check their membership .pdf
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 9:05:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hi Gary,

I am a member of Bucks County Fish and Game in Doylestown. It's around 60 dollars a year and they are black rifle friendly. There a no mag limits. A one shot per two second rule is strictly enforced. The rifle range goes out to 100yds and the pistol range is from 7yds to 25 yds. Here is a link to the website......

http://www.bcfg.org/

If you would like to come as my guest in order to check the place out feel free to send me an e-mail or instant message.

Regards,

Matt

Good tip. Thanks.  I'll try to order some of those T-shirts for gifts this year.

(And there is a new restaurant in Doylestown that should be worth the visit!)
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 5:17:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone know where I can practice IDPA stuff over christmas furlough?

The Citadel's team is having tryouts when we go back, and even though I'm a member of BCFG 1-shot-every-2-seconds is not going to cut it...

I was letting myself get kinda quick when I was up over thanksgiving break, but no one said anything about it... I'm probably going to keep shooting at BC until someone really raises a stink, because between being in SC for 8 months of the year and being on call at TISR 2 months of the summer, there's really no point for me to renew my membership there anyway.

ETA--If you see someone with a Citadel hoody rocking out with a Beretta--its me... I was up there 3 times over the course of my last weeklong furlough, so who knows how often I'll be there when my month off starts next week...
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 6:45:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I heard that WnW had another fire  
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 1:17:39 AM EDT
[#12]
CP (Classic Pistol) in Southampton, has an indoor IDPA style match on the 3rd Tuesday of the month, and they have a Steel Plate Match the 1st Tuesday of the month. They supply the frangible ammo in .45 ACP & 9x19mm (9mm Luger).
I am also a member of Topton Fish & Game Assoc. - they are only a couple of minutes from W&W (or whatever name they go by now) and they are a helluva lot less expansive.
Another real nice outdoor range is Guthsville, in Orefield (just off of PA 309 north of US 22).
Check out www.guthsville.com.
I also maintain a membership at Hamburg Rifle & Pistol Club.
All of these clubs are AR/black rifle friendly - you just can't do full-auto.
For more pistol shooting, there's always Target World, County Line Rd & US 202, on the border of Montgomeryville & New Britain.
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hi Gary,

Thats funny you mention that cause one time me and my buddy were there shooting our 1911's and we were firing after one another making it seem like rapid fire. well one of the RO's came down with veins bulging out of his forehead, screaming at me saying that i was rapid firing and that if i fire immediately after someone else , its considered rapid fire. i  tried to tell him it was not but he didnt want to hear it so they wont get my money anymore.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:06:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Sadly, I have heard that this two shot rule is strictly enforced.  My son and I often shoot black rifles and as such, I'd rather not have to deal with someone with a stop watch behind me in case he pulls the trigger twice.  I'm cetain this club has a lot to offer but sadly, not for me.  Safety is one thing, but this rule is over the top in my opinion.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Please allow me to plug my club here...

University Rifle Club, Reading PA (close to Exeter and Jacksonwald)
Rifle ranges @ 50, 100, 200, 300 yards.
Pistol @ 25, 50.  
Smallbore
Trap (currently inactive)
Highpower, pistol and smallbore matches.

This is a GREAT place to shoot.  Excellent ranges, courteous shooters, black-rifle friendly with no mag limits (no full-auto, however).  $75 initiation fee, $35 dues.  $35 dues yearly thereafter.

We're taking new members, but there must be a commitment to be active in the club to some extent (meetings, work parties, etc).  If you just want a place to shoot with no desire to participate, the board won't issue an application.

If anybody's interested, IM me and I can forward contact info.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top