A guy at work lives in NJ. He`s getting his handgun permit soon. I told him about the gunshow at the Armory this weekend. So here`s what I want to know
1. When he gets his handgun permit can he buy a handgun here in PA?
2. Can he buy long guns here?
3. Not that I would have much of a reason to buy in NJ can we in PA do such a thing? (just wondering)
4. If we start shooting together what`s the deal with me going to NJ to shoot? In the past I heard its a very very BAD idea, so what exactly is the deal?
5. If NJ is totally out of the question(which I can imagine it is) can he come here to our ranges with his firearms?
Now I know the standard answer is move to PA but I didn`t discuss this yet. Thanks in advance.
This is my understanding:
1) NO (Unless he has the PA FFL ship it to a NJ FFL)
2) Yes (assuming NJ has the same rules as PA, which it may not)
3) PA lets you buy long guns in adjoining states and bring them back.
4) Don't know - I imagine the trick would be to comply with whatever goofy laws NJ has regarding transport of firearms in a vehicle.
What's my score?
1. Sort of. he can buy in PA and it will need to be shipped to a dealer in NJ.
2. Yes, with a NJ Firearms ID (or whatever they call it), IIRC
3. Only if you get a permit to purchase from NJ; it would be simpler to provide the FFL of a PA dealer, even for a long gun, and have it shipped to that dealer.
4. Make sure that your gun isn't on the banned list, that you don't have any hollowpoint ammo, and that you don't have any magazines that hold more than 15 rounds. Then make sure that everything is locked up separately and pray you don't get stopped by a cop with an attitude problem.
5. Yep. In fact I have a couple of friends in NJ that come over here to shoot with me fairly regularly. I even store some normal capacity magazines for them.
I used to live in NJ so here goes:
1. He can buy a handgun in PA. BUT he cant take it home, he has to have it transferred to a dealer (FFL) in NJ. And pay the transfer fee. (Buy the handgun in NJ, its easier)
2&3. Long guns (rifles and shotguns) are not a problem. Just make sure what he wants to buy is legal in NJ before he buys it.
4. Its ok to goto NJ to shoot. Again make sure what you take to NJ is legal there. No rifle mags over 15 rounds!
5. He can come to PA.
Just make sure you transport them the right way. Make sure they are not loaded, keep ammo seperate. No loaded mags etc.
edited to say: I thought it was 10, but it is 15 rounds.
1) No, like said above, all handgun transfers must go through NJ FFLs.
2) Yes, but only with a NJ Firearm's Purchaser ID card. And only guns that are legal in Jersey.
3) Nope. It'd be kinda hard to get the FPID card.
4) You can shoot in Jersey, but only bring Jersey legal guns and stuff. No pre-bans (including M1 carbines!), no mags that hold more than 15 rounds (temporary blocks are legal), etc.