Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you put a link to a map. For us out of towners
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Updated the OP with 1st hike info. Here it is below as well.

Date: February 1st
Time: 11am
Can you put a link to a map. For us out of towners
Google Map link in OP and post!
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
4500 E Pima Canyon Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85044

Is this the right location?

Please advise,

Dan
View Quote
That is correct!
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Any opposition to bringing my doge?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those of you watching the goings on in Virginia, I wanted to take a quick informal poll of who might be up for a meet up and hike.

Our 1st hike will be:

Date: February 1stTime: 11am

Look forward to meeting all who can make it.
No objections. I believe the park rules allow it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is AZ Battle Buddies more formalized than this thread yet?

Might be beneficial to form local informal "squads."

Unfortunately I work weekends right now, but I'd be down for some weekday hikes in north Maricopa County or central AZ, and I do know some legal shooting spots that can accomodate a group from pistol to precision rifle distance.
View Quote
Nothing formal @fightinghellfish, but that is a conversation I am hoping to jumpstart. I am planning to meet with the Virgina BB organizers to get some tips on how to get started this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm going to try to make this. I have other commitments during the day but I might be able to sneak out.
View Quote
Hope you can make it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 3:44:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll be there.  Any planned distance?
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Tagging this. I should be able to make it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 2:47:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
We are doge friendly

I'm in
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 6:27:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'll be there.  Any planned distance?
View Quote
No planned distance for this one. I want to gauge the group and go from there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:23:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for getting this kicked off @AZNetEng.

Put me down for a maybe - I have to work overnight 1/31 so depending on how long it goes I may be in no shape to drive over and hike.

I don't want to take away from the OP, but any thoughts on neighborhood/regional Battle Buddies?  It seems like there are small pockets of us in all 4 corners of the valley plus some in the high country and Tucson - If we can get this going, I can see more frequent local / neighborhood meet-ups and maybe monthly or quarterly meet-ups of the larger group(s).  My immediate area includes Picacho Peak, San Tan Regional park, Superstition, etc.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Put me down for a maybe - I have to work overnight 1/31 so depending on how long it goes I may be in no shape to drive over and hike.

I don't want to take away from the OP, but any thoughts on neighborhood/regional Battle Buddies?  It seems like there are small pockets of us in all 4 corners of the valley plus some in the high country and Tucson - If we can get this going, I can see more frequent local / neighborhood meet-ups and maybe monthly or quarterly meet-ups of the larger group(s).  My immediate area includes Picacho Peak, San Tan Regional park, Superstition, etc.
View Quote
I like the regional idea. I just made an account on alltrails.com, and there is a lot more hiking close by than I realized (303/Happy Valley).
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I expect as we get going that this is what will occur. The Virginia guys broke it up by region and we can get as granular as we need to so that we can network and hike/meet in a consistent manner. Beyond the benefit of the exercise is the networking being done, and really is the point for the time being.

I want to get together with the AZCDL and get a feel for their level of effort and commitment as well. I have quite a few ideas from my time spent here in Virginia on some things we should consider working on with our local politicians now.

Ideally coming out of the hike we get a meeting together where we can spend more time getting to know one another.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like the regional idea. I just made an account on alltrails.com, and there is a lot more hiking close by than I realized (303/Happy Valley).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is awesome. I'd love for us to establish a solid core group of folks and eventually get regional so we don't spend time running all over the city and state. We should be prepared to move the hikes around to balance out to start. By no means should we discourage local meet ups outside "organized" functions though. This is about relationship building.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
North valley has tons of hiking and shooting and hiking while shooting. Also shooting while hiking.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 10:30:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
North valley has tons of hiking and shooting and hiking while shooting. Also shooting while hiking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/23/2020 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
@spyderboy03

Im right near 303/happy valley if you are ever down to hike. I had an accident this morning with my dog that has me hobbling around but I am game for hikes in the evening/weekends outside of this.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@spyderboy03

Im right near 303/happy valley if you are ever down to hike. I had an accident this morning with my dog that has me hobbling around but I am game for hikes in the evening/weekends outside of this.
View Quote
@DanSharp I'll shoot you a message!
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 2:54:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@spyderboy03

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@spyderboy03

Good to see you D!
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry guys, was going to go, but working an off-duty gig at the Stadium at 1500 hours.   If we were going earlier...

I hike Squaw Peak every weekend, so an open invitation, 0630 hours, usually on Saturday.  Gotta go early to beat the hordes heading up after it gets light.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I am in a Prescott and down for hikes and shooting.  Retired but family obligations would need some lead time.  No Go for the 1st as have prior commitment.  Also broken but working my way back so liking that others have expressed limitations.  Not on ARF a lot but can be contacted by a few on this thread.  Also a new HAM and GMRS license holder so I can talk about Commo.

Stay Safe Out There.
F-M out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:35:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I should be able to make it, walked 2 miles with spyderboy03 today and that ended up being about the top range of my abilities. The location is a bit far, but as a 1 time thing to meet up with people, it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Speaking of travel, does anyone know if the new stretch of the 202 is open on the west side? Be nice to avoid the 10 as much as possible. Hopefully someone from the west/nw valley takes the reigns and gets something started out here to make it a shorter and easier drive.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Would go but that’s DB2020 so rain check here
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Posting a checklist in the OP for this Saturday's hike.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#24]
No issues with cell coverage in that area. Looks like I will be able to make it. Any opposition to bringing kids along?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No issues with cell coverage in that area. Looks like I will be able to make it. Any opposition to bringing kids along?
View Quote
None at all. Some may be bringing dogs as well. The more the merrier.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I think im in.

Might bring the dogs, not sure yet tho as one is a very herdy boy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I should be able to make it, walked 2 miles with spyderboy03 today and that ended up being about the top range of my abilities. The location is a bit far, but as a 1 time thing to meet up with people, it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Speaking of travel, does anyone know if the new stretch of the 202 is open on the west side? Be nice to avoid the 10 as much as possible. Hopefully someone from the west/nw valley takes the reigns and gets something started out here to make it a shorter and easier drive.
View Quote
202 is open.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
202 is open.
View Quote
Awesome, thanks. It looks like it might be a longer drive, but I'm assuming less people. Plus just wanna check it out since it's new.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:52:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Do we have a head count so far?
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:36:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Do we have a head count so far?
View Quote
lll review the thread tomorrow for a running total.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:58:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I am in a Prescott and down for hikes and shooting.  Retired but family obligations would need some lead time.  No Go for the 1st as have prior commitment.  Also broken but working my way back so liking that others have expressed limitations.  Not on ARF a lot but can be contacted by a few on this thread.  Also a new HAM and GMRS license holder so I can talk about Commo.

Stay Safe Out There.
F-M out.
View Quote
Not sure if anyone else would be down, but I'll be working in Chino Valley roughly from the 7th to 17th, maybe a bit longer, but might stick around an extra day or two.  I might be able to do a hike if anything can happen around that time.  Also looking for a decent place to shoot out there, regardless (I've shot off of Iron Horse Rd., but the spot wasn't great).  Not sure how long my best friend will be in town after the 17th (he wants to at least go shooting if we have the time), but he might be up to hike as well if it works out.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Headcount as of now is 9 with 2 potential members joining if time/schedule permits.

Survey for the site is scheduled for tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Headcount as of now is 9 with 2 potential members joining if time/schedule permits.

View Quote
What do you need to know about it as ive hiked/biked there off and on for years.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#34]
I'll be there as well.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:47:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I’ll be there.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What do you need to know about it as ive hiked/biked there off and on for years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mostly I want to get a feel for the terrain and the elevation changes. I talked to a buddy who is going to be joining us and he said it isn't terrible but he wouldn't classify it as an easy hike either. He also said it is very popular on weekends, so parking may be a bit of a challenge. Ill be selecting a meeting spot and grab coordinates to post.

Total count now is 12 with 2 potentials.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#37]
I’m a maybe. Will confirm either way tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Mostly I want to get a feel for the terrain and the elevation changes. I talked to a buddy who is going to be joining us and he said it isn't terrible but he wouldn't classify it as an easy hike either. He also said it is very popular on weekends, so parking may be a bit of a challenge. Ill be selecting a meeting spot and grab coordinates to post.

Total count now is 12 with 2 potentials.
View Quote
Looks like there are a ton of options.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Looks like there are a ton of options.
https://i.imgur.com/xg0FLE8.jpg
View Quote
Yeah, and the road down the valley is flat, trails branch off from there.  In the past for my quick and dirty I used to go down the road, the up the ridge line trail and loop back to the road.. that way i got some up down cardio.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I have mountain biked the desert classic trail here many times. Yes plenty of great hiking trails.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#41]
From the survey today...

The area has quite a bit of parking but being a Saturday expect it to be full.

We will meet in the main parking lot at the trailhead. See pic below. Please plan to arrive approximately 1045 and we will depart no later than 1105.

Our point of departure will be from these coordinates.

The terrain on the mountain trails is a mix of rock and sand, with some steps here and there (stone). Our planned hike is:

Marcos de Niza trail to the Beverly Canyon Trail. North on the Beverly Canyon Trail to the National Trail. East on the National Trail returning to the trail head. The hike distance total should be between 2 and 2.5 miles with a <300ft of elevation change from start to finish.

I recommend good boots based on the terrain that I walked today. A walking stick may be handy for some that are not used to hiking mountainous terrain.

I will plan on arriving at 10:30, and will have a bright orange shirt on with a tan Larue Tactical hat on.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#42]
As of right now, im out.. wife gave me the head plague and it kicked in yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:11:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
As of right now, im out.. wife gave me the head plague and it kicked in yesterday.
View Quote
With everything go around better that you stay home and rest up. This is the 1st hike, not the last!
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#44]
I’ll be there.....I’m bringing 2 others.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'll be there.....I'm bringing 2 others.
View Quote
Excellent!
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 1:57:01 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm here. Walking to entrance. Had to park outside the park.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Couldn't find parking. I'll have to get to the next one.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Nice to meet you all. Couldn't do the entire thing due to a hurt flipper but got some time in. Excited for the next one. Thanks AZNetEng for setting this up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Couldn't find parking. I'll have to get to the next one.
View Quote
Sorry to have missed you @tyler259 - A few others missed too with the lack of parking.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#50]
AAR for todays hike...

Thanks to all that came out today. We had 15 total (yes, I counted Luna)!

The good - We were easy to find. Apparently ARF members can sense one another in a small area! The trail was decent and not terribly crowded.

The bad - Parking was miserable. By the time we left the park at 1pm it had emptied out a bit and there was decent parking at the trailhead. Noted so that if we do another hike here on a longer trail we will start it later!

The ugly - I walked so slowly that I think most could have lapped me today!

I'd like to make the next hike in 3 weeks and set a new area. If anyone has a favorite area and trail please let me know and Ill get the OP updated with Hike #2!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top