Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2017 9:19:37 PM EDT
I'm looking for a local welder for a custom project for my FJ. First, here are some pics to illustrate along the lines of what I'm looking to have done:

I'm looking to have something made that's similar to what the FJ in the top three pics has the Yeti cooler stored in. The bottom pic is the only rear shot I currently have on my phone of my FJ (yes, with all the snow, it doesn't show much, but you can get the idea ). I included the picture of mine as well because unlike the other setup, I want to be able to keep my rear spare tire exactly as is.

I've spoken with the guy that owns the top rig, and he's the owner of an automotive shop in Commiefornia that does stuff like this. He made the part himself, and said he knew it would also be possible to make something similar while keeping the spare tire as is.

There are two different ways as to how I am looking to have this project done. The first, and more preferred option, would be some contraption that would actually be removable. So, I could just have it back there whenever I'm lugging my cooler around.

The second would have it be on some sort of swinging arm mount - so I could still have easy access to my spare.

Either way, it would need to be strong enough to at least support a couple hundred pounds or so. A lot of ice and beer and whatnot in a big cooler can be quite heavy, as many know.

Anyone know of a good shop or person that could do something like this? I'm located in the Valley, but have no problem traveling a bit if need be. All I care about is having it done right.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:05:07 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have the equipment, I have the guy.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have the equipment, I have the guy.
View Quote
I don't have anything for the project yet. In the very initial stages right now. What all in particular would your guy need me to provide?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The welder.

He welds for a shop. I have a small mig if needed.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not looking to invest in any equipment. I can definitely track down the materials, though.

If I were to solely provide the materials for the project, is this something he would be able to do? And if so, could he give me any idea as to how much it would likely cost me in labor, and which particular route he would be able to go between the two options I listed in the OP?

Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ll forward the questions and let you know.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks. And if he already has the materials, even better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top