Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2017 4:49:53 PM EDT
Back in May, moved to AZ from the great white north.  Now that temperatures are finally getting tolerable outside for this snow lover, looking to get out to the range and shoot some matches at Rio Salado since it's only a few miles away.  

Ran a full season of 3-gun up north last year in a state league and also got my NRA RSO certification to help run/score matches.

Received my RSSC membership card this week and to check all the boxes and get familiar with the range, signed up for PSSC on 10/2 and Tuesday Night Steel on 10/3.  What else do I need range/rule/sign-off wise to complete ahead of the 3-gun match on Oct. 14? 
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:36:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Tues night steel is fun and cheap.

The membership is not worth the money. I let mine lapse a few months ago.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Please explain. I've been thinking of becoming a member.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is arguable. I’ve let mine lapse and in the past two months paid $20 a visit for myself and two kids.  Add preferred bench priority at busy times and it’s totally worth it if you shoot at least monthly there.

If you shoot clays you are dumb not to pony up for a membership.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 1:54:41 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want access to the member ranges (Practical Pistol Bays, High Power Rifle Range etc.) for practice, you have to be a member and get sign-off by the appropriate Division Directors to document safe completion of a certain number of matches. The TNS Division Director (Dan Coon) will sign off on the Pistol Bay access and the 3-Gun Division Director (Ron Aschenbach) will sign off on High Power access once you successfully complete a number of their respective matches.

I am the 3-Gun Match Director. You can shoot in my match, but first timers have to attend our New Shooter Orientation on the morning of the match. Watch this website (ARFCOM AZ Hometown Forum) and you will see that I post details of all Rio Salado 3-Gun/Action Long Gun matches each month. If you want to be on our email list, send me an Instant Message or Email Message with your name and email address, and I will make sure you receive our match updates.

As for whether membership is worthwhile, that entirely depends on how much you shoot, and at what. Members enjoy preferential pricing on match entry fees and clay shooting. The real value lies in the ability to shoot at the range whenever you like for free. The range is very busy at weekends, but on weekdays you can usually have a bay to yourself (once you get access privileges, of course). My annual family membership costs less than one months satellite TV bill, so I guess it all depends on your priorities.

I look forward to seeing you at our October match.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:53:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I have posted details of all October practical long-gun matches at Rio Salado in October in THIS THREAD. Hope to see you at some of our events.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:19:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Let me clarify, i only go there for tues night steel, and did not find the membership worth it.

I have tried shooting at their range, but id always prefer to shoot alone in the desert, or with people i trust vs. Some of the people hanging around there.

To each his own i guess.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Update - did PSSC last Monday night and ran TNS the following evening. 

3 of the 5 stages looked pretty intimidating to this newbie from a stand here and shoot this and then go to this box and a different array and then this box and that box. Due to comfort level wasn't planning on shooting those three stages but got peer pressured into running them by my PSSC instructor and glad I did.  No screw ups on the stages, just need to work on speed & accuracy like everyone else.

Been studying and visualizing the stages for tomorrow night and will be much more comfortable.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top