Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2006 12:28:30 PM EDT
I might want to make a run to Reno later this year for a get-together.  I'd want to take several firearms with me.  I'd really rather NOT traverse Californication with a load of guns and ammo in my trunk.  So, has anybody driven to Reno through Nevada?  How long does it take?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Stange trivia time: Reno is farther west than LA. Doesn't seem like it until you view the map.
You can do it, but it will not be via interstate, unless you take the 93 and the 50.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:24:46 PM EDT
[#2]
You can do it but it sucks bad. if you take the way that goes along the border it will be like taking the costal highway....looooooong

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I made that drive once, I kind of enjoyed actually. I think it's US 93. It's long and flat and dry, but the speed limit is 75 I think. And I doubt anyone cares if you go faster :).
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like 93 to Vegas, then 95 to 50 to US80.  Are these four-lane?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#5]
If you go to RENO look up NSFjojo and get an autographed pic for me, Jethro!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#6]
No it's not four lane, but it doesn't matter. You'll probably meet 4 other cars on the whole trip. Fill up in Vegas and take plenty of water, just in case.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Looks like 93 to Vegas, then 95 to 50 to US80.  Are these four-lane?

4 lane?  you're lucky they are paved.  But you are to be congratulated in avoiding the boogermen in CA.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Di it once when my friend was getting married in Oregon. Its long, its boring, it sucks. my friend and I would trade off driving. He went to sleep and woke up, asked me why I stopped.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Three words my freind, "Siruus Satalight Radio" you will not regreat it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#10]
It's not that bad, I've done it in reverse, Reno, Vegas, to Chino Valley.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Three words my freind, "Siruus Satalight Radio" you will not regreat it.

Actually four words:

Rental car, compact discs
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#12]
One other question:

Does Nevada enforce speed limits out there?  Or do they go by "reasonable and prudent"?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
One other question:

Does Nevada enforce speed limits out there?  Or do they go by "reasonable and prudent"?

I was running at the speed limit or 5-8 over. I did see NHP with people pulled over at times.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:35:05 PM EDT
[#15]
... I was born in a tiny town on that road to Reno from Vegas. Mom told stories of grandpa and her cousins taking turns driving up and down it while shooting rabbits at 50MPH.
Was there any danger of get arrested for doing this seemingly, highly illegal act? Hardly, the sheriff took his turn at the wheel like everyone else. It was desolate with a capital "D" back then.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#16]
My wife's grandmother lives in Silver Springs. The drive is LONG and boring. But you do get to go through Indian Springs (when we last drove up they were doing bombing runs at the range) and you get to see the submarine training base in Hawthorne.....
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:57:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

training base in Hawthorne.....

... That's the little town I was talking about!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:07:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Made the trip a few times.
My buddy has family up there and I'll take any excuse for a road trip.

It usually takes us between 11 and 13 hours depending on the wait at the damn and wether or not we stop for "lunch" in vegas.

One warning though, do not speed in tonapaw (spelling?).
It is nothing short of a speed trap.
The speed is way low even after you are a ways out of town.

The last time we drove up there we got a ticket coasting down the hill heading out of town, on the way up.

So basically so long as you slow down and do the limit through all the little ghost towns you can drive like a bat out o hell between them.

-Kenny
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:00:27 AM EDT
[#19]
California...  speeding...   cops...  *shudders*
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:00:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My wife's grandmother lives in Silver Springs. The drive is LONG and boring. But you do get to go through Indian Springs (when we last drove up they were doing bombing runs at the range) and you get to see the submarine training base in Hawthorne.....

If you're lucky, they will let you see the tunnel they use to get to the ocean.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
California...  speeding...   cops...  *shudders*

Speeding on 395 ( That's the alternate route to the above routes but in CA) in CA is common especially if you use common sense.  My average towing speed on there is about 75, which is a good 20 over the speed limit.  The general idea is you let some idiot run interference for you.  Generally once they are pulled over you are good for another 20-40 miles before you can expect another CHP officer.

Although you don't want to do what I saw one guy doing.  He was pulling a very large Extra Wide bulldozer of some kind.  No pilot vehicles, just  the truck, trailer and bmf dozer.  Problem was, when he decided to go without the pilot vehicles, he also apparently forgot to get a permit for the load and heading upgrade past June Lake after any opportunity to get turned around or hidden , he ran into a construction zone where it was down to flagging one lane only and with the equipment working on the downhill side and a close in cut on the uphill side, he was about 2 feet too wide too get through.  I'm sure THAT was an interesting conversation.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:38:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're lucky, they will let you see the tunnel they use to get to the ocean.

I figured they just used the lake....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top