Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/14/2006 6:12:38 AM EDT
3/14/06 - Scottsdale Tribune
Off-duty federal marshal is wounded with own weapon
By Mike Branom For the Tribune

The Arizona Museum for Youth in Mesa was briefly evacuated this weekend after an off-duty federal marshal accidentally shot himself with his service weapon.

The man did not suffer life-threatening wounds but(t) was taken to a hospital. U.S. Marshals Service spokeswoman Brenda McLaughlin declined to reveal the man's name, saying he works in an undercover capacity.

Shortly after 2:00 pm Saturday, Mesa police responding to a shooting at 35 N. Robson learned from museum employees that a man had accidentally shot himself. After the gunfire, employees evacuated the building and dialed 911.

The man was found in a restroom, and he told police he was in the museum with his grandchildren when he attempted to adjust his pants. He said he thought his unholstered .45-caliber pistol was falling down his pants.

When he reached for the gun, it discharged. The round struck him in the right buttock, then exited his upper right thigh. The U.S. Marshals Service described the man as "a 20-year veteran with an impeccable service record."

McLaughlin said the agency is cooperating with Mesa police, and the U.S. Marshals Service's internal affairs division would conduct its own investigation.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:53:31 AM EDT
Buy a holster, you damned fool.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:22:13 AM EDT
If this was a regular guy off the streets who did this, his name would be all over the story and he'd be charged with a crime.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:44:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AZERIC:
If this was a regular guy off the streets who did this, his name would be all over the story and he'd be charged with a crime.

Yup.

What is it with feds and shooting themselves?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:57:49 AM EDT
Sheesh, first the Fire Chief getting caught doing the big nasty with an under age farm animal, now a Marshall having anal sex in a public restroom with his loaded pistol. We're getting a bad rep in AZ, that's for sure! We need to prove to the rest of the world that we practice safe sex here in AZ.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:02:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AZERIC:

What crime would he be charged with? Did you hear of the regular guy off the streets who shot himself in front of a Phoenix gun store 4 weeks ago? Did you hear of the regular guy off the streets who shot himself in his second story apartment last week? Neither was newsworthy. This is only newsworthy because it happened in a museum, and they had a protocol (which is good) to evacuate the building.

Regardless, if there was enough to do him for reckless endangerment, trust me, Mesa would do it. Is he an idiot for doing this? Probably. Is he getting preferential treatment? I doubt it, and like any LE person who does something like this, he has to face any legal repurcussions, plus an internal investigation at work that can have dire consequences.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:26:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:30:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By scottmilk9:
discharging a firearm in city limits,

ARS 13-3107.A, Unlawful Discharge of Firearms, which is what I think you're referring to, is a class 6 felony, and this would be one count, culpable mental state of negligence

ARS 13-2904.A., Disorderly Conduct, another class 6 felony, one count, culpable mental state of recklessness

ARS 13-1201.A, Reckless Endangerment, another class 6 felony, as many counts as there are victims, which is the most serious thing he could be charged with, IF there is more than one victim, culpable mental state of recklessness. It would be dependent on where that bullet went after his ass, but I threw it out there as a worse case scenario.

I appreciate your insight, but the point was not what can he or will he be charged with. Most of the time, people are not charged with accidentally shooting themselves. That means civilian OR law enforcement. It falls under "letter of the law vs. spirit of the law".

I only felt inclined to comment on this because it never ceases to amaze me how many people think LEOs get some kind of privileged treatment when they do something illegal. If anything, they get hammered harder, both with respect to facing legal and employment ramifications, as well as harsher sentenceing through courts.

It's very apparent to me that a few fellow firearms enthusiasts plain don't like cops. It's somewhat prevalent in the AzHTF, as well as the other site, and fortunately, it's only a few people. I guess it comes with the territory, and I usually keep my mouth shut when it comes to cop bashing. I probably shouldn't have bothered here either, and eventually I'll learn to just shut up. I just always find it funny that those who feel that cops get privileged treatment don't realize that we are held to a stricter standard than most.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:54:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hobbs5624:

...LEOs get some kind of privileged treatment ... cops get privileged treatment ...

They do, John. They get to deal with more jackasses than the typical civilian. It's unfair to civilians.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:58:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By markm:
Buy a holster, you damned fool.

+1
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:00:09 AM EDT
Bet he won't do that again!

Ouchie!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:54:52 PM EDT
He should be charged with two F6s--Unlawful Discharge (Shannon's Law) and Reckless Endangerment. Then they can make him spend $10,000 or $15,000 on a lawyer and drop the charges.

Cause that is EXACTLY what happens to citizens who have ADs in the East Valley.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:06:19 PM EDT
Very nice Hobbs 5624.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:51:57 PM EDT
A lot of us would be perfectly willing to let LEO NDs slide, but then we see the shit that is done to a civilian shooter and we are no longer as forgiving.

Whats good for the geese is good for the gander, no?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:52:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/18/2006 8:54:12 PM EDT by Combat_Jack]
My bad.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:15:56 AM EDT
That had to have hurt.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:17:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jwrig:

...LEOs get some kind of privileged treatment ... cops get privileged treatment ...

They do, John. They get to deal with more jackasses than the typical civilian. It's unfair to civilians.

Incompetance should never have an excuse.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:49:35 PM EDT
So, was he punished?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:34:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GilaMonster:

Originally Posted By jwrig:

Incompetance should never have an excuse.[/quote]

What does that have to do with the previous two quotes other than making my point for me?

Oh, by the way, it's spelled i-n-c-o-m-p-e-t-e-n-c-e.

Top Top