Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 6:57:17 AM EDT
Looks like this area is going to be home for about 18 weeks, Jun-Nov. Tell me about the area, what is there to do/see? I am driving out so I will be able to get around, and my evenings/weekends should be pretty free at least some of the time.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:18:35 AM EDT
[#1]
If you got a street motorcycle  bring it and there is plenty of riding country.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#2]
You are in the most historical county in the US as far as the Wild West was concerned.  Take the Charleston route (Be careful, watch for cattle) and see the San Pedro where the Morman BN was nailed by the Bulls, go to old post and look around, Tombstone is a must but don't buy anything at Spangenburgs gun store. eat at Nellie Cashman's restaurant, the Birdcage theater, the Big Nose Kate's Bar was the Grand Hotel which was the hotel Doc and Kate had rooms.  In Bisbee the gulch is historical but look out for the anti-military left wingers, eat at the Hotel in Bisbee, go to Douglas and have lunch at the Gasden Hotel downtown, it was where Pancho Villa galloped his horse up the stairway.  Drive to Nogales and stop in Patagonia, or go to the Steak Out in Sonoita, then to Nogo for shopping.  Don't take weapons into Mexico, park in the lot at the McDonalds.  
Firearms, the best place to buy guns is Mike Chasse Thunder Mountain Custom rifles, or Trailboss if you buy from anyone but Gary, the prices there are 100 bucks more than the Sportsman's center or Chasse but they will deal if you insist.  Trailboss has a great smith in Mike Benton who was once the NCOIC of the Forts rifle team.  Shooting, the Plinking range on post is open on weekends but the really great NRA range on highway 90 half way to Bisbee is well run and maintained.  Senior's at Buena are turning 18 this time of the year and the U A has a nice campus here.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#3]
If you like wines, there are a number of good wineries in the Sonoita/Patagonia area. Sonoita Winery is one of the best.

Lots of old ghost towns and abandoned mines to explore on the back roads (don't explore any undergound mines, though -- very dangerous). Good camping in the area, too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Here are some pics we took on base wheeling a couple of weeks ago.

www.chrisgrier.com/gallery/index.php?list=3

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Here are some pics we took on base wheeling a couple of weeks ago.

www.chrisgrier.com/gallery/index.php?list=3

Nice pics, I didn't realize it was that pretty down in that area. I definately have to get a good pair of hiking boots before I head out. Tombstone is definately on my to do list, I've been there once before but didn't get to see anything because it was too late. I'll have to do some searching about some of the other places mentioned, only a few of the names are even remotely familiar.  I'm trying to figure a way to take at least my AR and 1911 with me, but can't exactly keep them with me on base since I'll be in barracks. I don't like the idea of driving 900 or so miles unarmed, especially since I can legally carry in all three states. I'll
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top