Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 4:09:25 AM EDT
So does anyone on the board ever meet up and have a "shoot"?  Think it'd be pretty cool to organize a meet and have some fun shooting?  I'm in Tucson and was wondering where all the AR fans are.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:41:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I shoot every Tuesday from 0930 to 1400 hours at the Tucson Rifle Club's 3 Points range. On occasion I am also there on Friday of any given week. Plus yesterday I was shooting at Reddington Pass. Come to 3 Points and ask for the retired Marine gunsmith. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:59:44 AM EDT
[#2]
There's a gang of thugs that go out to the RIO SALADO matches.  It's not my bag, but I went out and watched the last one!

Every so often there's a big shoot.  Depending on who shows up, you may want to make sure your life insurance is up to date.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:33:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There's a gang of thugs that go out to the RIO SALADO matches.  It's not my bag, but I went out and watched the last one!

Every so often there's a big shoot.  Depending on who shows up, you may want to make sure your life insurance is up to date.

Why have you been bashing Az shooters as of late? Have a close call with a ND?

AB
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Where is Rio Salado located?  I'd like to watch a few events to see how they are run.  I really want to get into like a three gun kind of thing.  Just a bit apprehensive.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#5]
The 3 gun match out at rio is actually a 2 gun.  (Evidently there are pistol matches every night, so there isn't really a need.)

http://www.riopractical.com/  Click on the Rifle/Pistol link on the left.

Keep your eyes open for Cav Arms 3 gun match class.  They offer a free class on a regular basis that will walk you through the gear you need, the range rules and really get you started.  Probably most importantly, you'll also meet a few folks so your first match will have some friendly faces.

The folks out at the Rio two gun match are extremly welcoming.  If you go in with an attitude of wanting to learn and play safe, you'll find folks will bend over backwards to help you get started.    It's a great crew and a whole crap load of fun.  (Cav Arms has a gallery of pictures with some from the Rio matches.)

Also, don't get hung up on the gear.  I've seen guys go out and shoot with an SKS and a hunting shotgun and have fun doing it.   Heck, I did my first two shotgun stages using a side pocket to hold my reloads. :P

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
AB

Oh no!  I was just joking about the match guys being thugs!

As far as the big shoots, there have been some idiotic stunts with tannerite and the bowling ball mortar that are less than safe.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Where is Rio Salado located?  I'd like to watch a few events to see how they are run.  I really want to get into like a three gun kind of thing.  Just a bit apprehensive.

+1 on what AzDak said.

I'm one of those thugs that attends those matches. Don't worry about it. The best thing you could do is go to the Cav Arms class. If that's not possible, contact one of us (me, even) and we'd be happy to guide you through the match. The sport is a blast, and it will teach you more than you might want to know about your proficiency with a rifle and shotgun...  Hint: make sure your rifle is *really* zeroed and you *know* where your shotgun hits with slugs.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:47:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
AB

As far as the big shoots, there have been some idiotic stunts with tannerite and the bowling ball mortar that are less than safe.

Ahhhh, I see..................

AB
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
AB

Now wait a minute!  I heard the bowling ball only lands behind the line once or twice per shoot!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I miss the large get togethers.
We've even had German infiltration !!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:04:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
AB

Those are just wild rumors spreed on th net.  the last ARFCOM shoot I went to had like 6 people.  This place is like a ghost town anymore.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I miss the large get togethers.
We've even had German infiltration !!!

We(as in the others), had a huge one last year in Snowflake...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:46:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Now wait a minute!  I heard the bowling ball only lands behind the line once or twice per shoot!

I like those odds!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:16:13 AM EDT
[#14]

*know* where your shotgun hits with slugs.

Unfortunetly, my shotgun hits about a foot or so off the target with slugs.  I have no clue how this helps me though. :P
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

*know* where your shotgun hits with slugs.

Unfortunetly, my shotgun hits about a foot or so off the target with slugs.  I have no clue how this helps me though. :P

Now you know you have to smack the sights with a big hammer....
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:16:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The 3 gun match out at rio is actually a 2 gun.  (Evidently there are pistol matches every night, so there isn't really a need.)

http://www.riopractical.com/  Click on the Rifle/Pistol link on the left.

Keep your eyes open for Cav Arms 3 gun match class.  They offer a free class on a regular basis that will walk you through the gear you need, the range rules and really get you started.  Probably most importantly, you'll also meet a few folks so your first match will have some friendly faces.

The folks out at the Rio two gun match are extremly welcoming.  If you go in with an attitude of wanting to learn and play safe, you'll find folks will bend over backwards to help you get started.    It's a great crew and a whole crap load of fun.  (Cav Arms has a gallery of pictures with some from the Rio matches.)

Also, don't get hung up on the gear.  I've seen guys go out and shoot with an SKS and a hunting shotgun and have fun doing it.   Heck, I did my first two shotgun stages using a side pocket to hold my reloads. :P

Yikes, I just checked out the gallery and boy those guys have some serious stuff.  Talk about gear junkies.  I'm just looking to have some fun and improve my skills.  I have no formal military or police training but have been a shooter for a long time.  I've always been intrigued by these type of events and they just look like some serious fun.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yikes, I just checked out the gallery and boy those guys have some serious stuff.  Talk about gear junkies.  I'm just looking to have some fun and improve my skills.  I have no formal military or police training but have been a shooter for a long time.  I've always been intrigued by these type of events and they just look like some serious fun.

Don't let the tactical freaks intimidate you!  There are normal people out there too!  If you decide to shoot, you won't need 87 mags strapped to your body with pals pouches.  You can always just drive out and watch.  That's what I did.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Cav Arms is hosting another introduction to multi-gun class on the 24th.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Mjrowley, where around Snowflake did you guys have a big shoot?  Only asking because I own a couple acreages outside of town above Silver Creek and another 4 at Rancho Golden Horse on the way up to Concho adn east of the highway.  It's been a couple years since I've been out there last and now that I've got some of them for sale it may be awhile before the next time since I'm only keeping one of them.  

we took the hiway north out of town.  Then west towards the dump.  Out in that area, does that help any?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Don't let the tactical freaks intimidate you!  There are normal people out there too!  If you decide to shoot, you won't need 87 mags strapped to your body with pals pouches.  You can always just drive out and watch.  That's what I did.

What Markm said...

Except, don't come out and watch -- come out and play. We always have people shooting that use whatever they may have sitting in their safe.

Quoted:
I'm just looking to have some fun and improve my skills.

You will hve fun, and you will improve your shooting & firearm handling skills. My wife has become almost fanatical about it because she has such a good time, and she is far from being competitive in any sense of the term. I recently built her a new match grade upper for her AR, and I happened to give it to her around Christmas. She said "This is one of the best Chrustmas gifts ever!" major brownie points for Yours Truly.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

US 60 East to Mesa, exit  Ellsworth Rd, north until you see the big PHOENIX on the side of the mountain. Road on the left, you will see the signs.

Actually, McKellips, Brown and McDawell Rd all cross Ellsworth if you want a more northerly route. Nice scenery as you go farther east, too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

US 60 East to Greenfield ELSWORTH Rd, north until you see the big PHOENIX on the side of the mountain. Road on the left, you will see the signs.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:09:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, I just caught and corrected my original post. Figures that someone else would see it! head.gif
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mjrowley, where around Snowflake did you guys have a big shoot?  Only asking because I own a couple acreages outside of town above Silver Creek and another 4 at Rancho Golden Horse on the way up to Concho adn east of the highway.  It's been a couple years since I've been out there last and now that I've got some of them for sale it may be awhile before the next time since I'm only keeping one of them.  

we took the hiway north out of town.  Then west towards the dump.  Out in that area, does that help any?

Actually it was just North of Show Low off Hwy 77, then turn West on Lone Pine Dam Rd. The shoot was at Lone Pine Dam. That was my first shoot with the "other" shooting board and it was a blast! Lots and lots of Class III toys to shoot!
Phessor
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Actually it was just North of Show Low off Hwy 77, then turn West on Lone Pine Dam Rd. The shoot was at Lone Pine Dam. That was my first shoot with the "other" shooting board and it was a blast! Lots and lots of Class III toys to shoot!
Phessor

Did those parts ever end up working out for you, Phessor?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Phessor

Did those parts ever end up working out for you, Phessor?

They worked great!
Thanks, Phessor
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top