Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/27/2006 6:18:17 AM EDT
Ok guys..in the never-ending quest to shed pounds off my fat ass, I have decided to start hiking again. I havent done it since the killer humps in ACT, Camp Devildog, SC. But I have lost 60 pounds since last October. Anyways, the wife and I are taking some time off from one another and I want some active activity to participate in, preferrably on Saturdays. Any suggestions on where I can break-in myself?? Desert trail or canyon...a few hours long, not too hilly?? Great views a plus! I was thinking some where over by the Superstitions??? Any advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:50:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/27/2006 6:53:14 AM EDT by Gunslinger808]
Her's a link with lots of maps of the trails around the Superstition area:
superstition-sar.org/maps.htm

As for advice, start slow, wear appropriate footwear, and take plenty of water.
If you need rescue from this area at least you'll have a couple of members from here and the "other" site coming to get you.
Check out the photo area, you might recognize a few people.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:06:50 AM EDT
Thanks for the info Slinger! I hope my broken in combat boots are appropriate. Thinking about wearing fatigue bottoms and pack my deuce gear, side-arm, two canteens and a camelbak. Snake-bite kit, fire-kit and two MREs in my butt-pack with my cell-phone. What else am I missing?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:24:32 AM EDT
I'll tell you what, a good hiking staff is always a great help.
And don't forget a good sturdy knife!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:03:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The4thHorseman:
...What else am I missing?

Just some small items... like a map and compass! Or a GPS, the cell phone is damn near useless if you don't know where you are. Always carry a headlamp or flashlight. I also carry a piece of Reflectix (silver bubble wrap) about 18"x36" to fold up and sit on, or to lay on for those unexpected delays in getting to the parking lot. A large trash bag also serves as a poncho, windbreaker, and if you have 2, a sleeping bag.

One other thing, the trails in the Sups are very rocky and in poor condition. I would recommend mid length hiking boots and tie them snug for downhill. Look in the 'obscure hike' thread for a pic taken 1/22 on my last hike in the Sups.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:06:35 PM EDT
Oh, and lose the snakebite kit. I think we have a few months before those boys show themselves.

Mike
SR108
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:50:01 PM EDT
That's why I wanted a somewhat easy trail to start of with. I failed all my compass courses in boot and ACT! Started off in Camp Lejeune.....as a 10 mile roundtrip, night navigation course...almost ended up in Cherry Point! I want to start off on a well-beaten path so I dont end up on Fox 10 news! I am thinking of the Peralta Trail to start off....
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:13:51 AM EDT
Water.

More water.

Oh yeah, and some water.

Top Top