Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 10:27:09 AM EDT
Camy is looking for a Krav Maga school that is both reputable and affordable here in the Phoenix area.  If one offers LE discount, all the better.  Any suggestions from personal experience or the local rumor mill to make sure she gets the best training she can afford?  

Links are appreciated.  The one thing I don't want her to do is get into a bad school where she'll learn nothing but how to hurt herself.  

Mucho gracias, mi amigos!  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Ditto question for Tucson.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Got this from the Federations website. I don't do it so I cannot say they are good places to go, I do Kendo.

Glendale - COMING JANUARY 2006!
Krav Maga & Fitness
5870 W. Thunderbird Rd.
Suite A-3
Glendale, AZ 85306
Web: www.reactdefense.com

Phoenix
Krav Maga & Fitness Center of Phoenix
3202 E. Greenway Rd. #1635
Tel: 602-485-KRAV (602-485-5728)
Fax: 602-482-MAGA (602-482-6242)
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://www.reactdefense.com

Tucson
The Ultima Martial Arts
6781 North Thornydale Road, Suite 219
Tucson, Arizona 85741
Tel: 520-744-4591
Email: [email protected]

Tucson
The Ultima Martial Arts & S.W.A.T Fitness Center
7649 East Speedway Blvd
Tucson, Arizona 85710
Tel: 520-721-BFIT (2348)
Fax: 520-527-1053
Email: [email protected] or [email protected]
Web: www.theultimaswat.com
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I have taken the Intro $10 class.

It kicked ass! Literally. They call it FITNESS but I have had easier smokings from Drill Sargents!!!

They run your ass around the room for like 20 mins doing weird stuff like run backwards and do 3 pushups and stuff.

Then you spar.

I liked it! If I had the money I would sign up. They offer EXTRA classes to LE and Military. They said the teach Lethal moves to Military only.

But trust me, after 30 days of this training you could put someone in the hospital in 4 secs.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#5]
how much is it? It sounds like some good stuff...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#6]
There's one in Chandler just off the I-10 on Chandler Blvd.  Same strip mall as Frazee Paints.

http://www.reactdefense.com/krav.cfm
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:58:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks very much folks!  Deciding on a training center is always frought with concerns, and the world of martial arts is cut-throat between competitors - which is why I wanted some real world experience.  The last thing I want for Camy is a crappy instructor, and none of my training has been in Phoenix.

Looks like Krav Maga & Fitness Center of Phoenix will probably be the one since it has the popularity with police and offers the LE discount.  

Bad_Aim,

The first class is $20 and, and subsequent class prices are discussed one on one with the instructor.  They don't offer prices on their web site, but maybe if you call them?  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#8]
sweet. must check it out.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I have found Krav Maga to be a crash course in basic self defense.  The Israelis put the system together to fit their conscript army, and that should say something as to the purpose and design.

From my 15 years in martial arts I can suggest this: have your friend go to as many schools as possible and check them out.  

It is most beneficial to find an instructor and a style you enjoy, and adopt training as a lifestyle.  

If she enjoys what she is doing, she will have more mat time.  In the long run, this would provide your friend an overall better ability to protect herself.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#10]
What I liked about the class I attended was the instructor was a short petite lil blonde girl.

She could knock you back with her hits on the pads, and I am a pretty big guy.

During the class one of the other instructors snuck up behind her and grabbed her hair and pulled ber back almost off her feet.

She KICKED HIS ASS in less than 2 seconds. She hit him like 4 times in the face twice in the chest, kneed him in the crotch so hard you could hear the CUP and then threw him on his face.

"Asshole!!!!!!!!" She screamed at him

He was just laughin his ass off as he limped away, "still hurts!" he said as he tapped his cup.

That was the shit. It was not orchestrated.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I took a 2 week intro class here in Tucson at the Ultima.  It was pretty descent and I was sore afterwards.  It seemed like they had a few less experienced guys giving the classes at the time and it looked as if the program was in transition.  I'm not sure if they still offer it, wich sucks, since no one else in town has anything like Krav....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top