Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/9/2003 7:51:26 AM EDT
I have a freind who is looking to moove to Show Low. I have never been there, and could not provide any helpful info. Could you help a brother out, and share some info about Show Low.
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:42:46 AM EDT
Umm...my parents live there. They like it. I like it up there but the job choices aren't what they are in Phoenix.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 10:08:15 AM EDT
Next to a reservation.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 12:31:33 PM EDT
Nice place, especially if you like the pine forests. About 45 minutes away from Sunrise Ski Resort (which kicks snow bowls ass). I don't know about any shooting areas up there though.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 1:50:48 PM EDT
Pine Trees, Elk, and everything closes up at sundown.

Would make a perfect location for a Steven King Movie.

Beautiful country though.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 3:27:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By az-ar:
Nice place, especially if you like the pine forests. About 45 minutes away from Sunrise Ski Resort (which kicks snow bowls ass). I don't know about any shooting areas up there though.

There is a pretty good pit not to far out of town, maybe a 10-15 minute drive from any part of the town. Damned if I know the name of the roads though...
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 4:56:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:

... everything closes up at sundown.

... Not everything! RT's Black Bull on White Mountain Rd will draw you a cold draft right up to 1:00AM
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 7:35:04 PM EDT
Thanks for the info people. Is it a retirement/snowbird town? On the other hand, is it more of a vacation town a la Sedona? More suited for families or hermits?
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:27:58 PM EDT
Years ago I built a cabin in Heber not too far from there (sold it as a part of my divorce), the area has a lot to offer. But now I actually prefer Eagar / Springerville area now
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 9:14:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By az-gunner:
Thanks for the info people. Is it a retirement/snowbird town? On the other hand, is it more of a vacation town a la Sedona? More suited for families or hermits?

None of the above.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 1:04:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/10/2003 1:16:34 AM EDT by Nestor]
Greetings for all members - my first post here, I'm Nestor from Poland, and az-gunner is my friend. He ask you about Show Low for me. I and my family want to make a move to US and after long search we narrow down our search to this area (Show Low or not far from this place). We start in this year visa lottery, and if we will be lucky enough we can make a move in one year time, I hope.
Because we want to establish small, family company looking for work isn't our first priority. We have some money in hand for the start (about 80k$) - so, maybe we can find small, nice house or buy, if I remember well you called this manufactured home.But who knows - if we will have opportunity for work from the start, our company could wait a little. Information about pine forest is very good for us, thanks! So for now it's all I think,but if you have some new information feel free to share it with me.
Thank you all - az-gunner - special thanks for you! All best. Nestor.
Ps. Sorry for my English, there is still much to do about it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 4:42:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AZ-K9:
Next to a reservation.

It's unbelievable how much crime takes place on the reservations and in the communities adjacent to them. Most of this is not reported in the media.

Don't believe me? Take a trip down to US District Court and look at the weeks criminal indictments posted in the clerk's office. Almost all of them are for violent crimes on the reservations.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 5:50:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/10/2003 5:54:06 AM EDT by Winston_Wolf]
... Welcome aboard AR15.com and welcome you and yours to the USA, specifically Arizona Nestor!

... Every place in the world has it's ups and downs but I can say from experience that Show Low is a decent community to raise a family and it's ripe for new business growth.

… I would recommend looking into Show Low suburb communities like Lakeside and Pinetop.

A few observations; the area “used “ to be a small town community with that small time feeling to it but not as much any more. Small “mom & pop” shops are folding under the pressure of larger mega-businesses like Walmart and corporate gas stations. Ironically, they are in big need of a decent sporting goods / gun store, but they are not cheap to open!
May want to consider a small B&B or coffee/sandwich shop on the main drag. Be careful, I’ve seen even ones I thought would succeed close doors. It’s tough for “new” folks to gain foothold there sometimes. Businesses open there are very competitive. And yes, crime can get high with the “Rez” adjacent to the area so always be prepared and stay “en guard”, but don’t live in fear! There will always be “social vultures” circling you in the United States no matter where you go. A lot of the mountainous area surrounding Show Low is Indian reservation but they also have the largest elk and trout in the State and it’s flora is absolutely beautiful.

… I know northern Arizona quite well; I love it! I’ve owned two homes in the gorgeous Arizona Mountains and will again someday soon. Contact me sometime we can talk a bit more about your big move. Congratulations!

Link Posted: 11/10/2003 11:46:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/10/2003 11:48:04 AM EDT by Nestor]
We want a B&B (maybe not from the start) and some very small shop with different forest food dishes (pickled mushrooms, preserves from wild strawberry,raspberry,blackberry,bilberry etc.) + some old Polish special dishes. I'm very interested about crime - you know we have to live now in worst, most dangerous part of the city, so it will be nice to find a little more peacful life. We are law abbiding people, but I'm retired reserve officer so weapon isn't new thing for me. If I will have to defend my family I will do this - here or in US. I'm not affraid, but I'm very interested - why so much crime over there?
And Eager/Springerville is more peacful place for living?
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 11:55:59 AM EDT
I think your idea for a B&B with a small food store is a great idea. I'm thinking that you might have a better chance of success in an area with more tourists. I think Sedona, Oak Creek or Flagstaff would be my first choices if I was in your shoes. Those communities also have stronger economies and you are much more likely to find a job there until you can put your business together.

Maybe even a little store in Sedona and a manufactured home in Cottonwood.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 7:15:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/10/2003 7:16:15 PM EDT by Winston_Wolf]

Originally Posted By innocent_bystander:

Maybe even a little store in Sedona and a manufactured home in Cottonwood.

... Sedona is VERY competitive, big time entertainment industry (and cash) influence there. Please call me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:59:04 PM EDT
If interested I have 1.25 acres for sale a couple miles east of Show Low that's backed up to 640 acres of fenced State Trust land. There is power/phone available but I haven't been to this lot in over four years and I'm not sure if it's tied on to the subdivisions well water yet or if the remaining couple hundred feet of road has been cindered yet. The property is not low-lying and is on top of a gentle rise giving a view of the surroundings. There's a few cedar/juniper shrubs on the property but no real trees to speak of, but the state land to the rear has larger cedar/junipers. If interested e-mail me any questions you may have and if I can't answer them my realtor can as she lives in this subdivision. I have other Arizona acreages for sale but that's the only one in Show Low and the most "domestic" of any acreage for sale. Good Luck to you and keep us informed on how everything is going for you and your family!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:26:14 PM EDT
I love Show Low, but there's a bad meth problem up there.

Like Flagstaff, it's very tough to make money up there. No one has any, and those who do have their 2nd or 3rd homes up there and rarely put capital into the local economy beyond their initial investment.

Plus you have the Trog problem.

You will find a very small percentage of them are sharp, hardworking folks. But most of them are friggin' useless.

D.
AZEX

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:18:15 PM EDT
So much information, thanks friends. Maybe in this area of Arizona you know better place for rising family, you know we interested in Show Low, but not determined to live exactly in this city. If you know alternative location for peaceful family with plans for small business fell free to inform us. As you can imagine, it's a very hard choice, and we want to make a right move. Thank you for any information.
Ps. booger-hooker thank you for this information, we will contact you as soon as we will know something more about our future.
Top Top