Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2003 6:57:06 PM EDT
I'll be passing thru AZ on I-40 to NM and would like to know any good spots near Flagstaff to pull over and bed down for the night. I have a tent on my roof rack and don't necessarily need a full-blown campground to set up shop. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks,
CW
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome scenery everywhere CW, most places you can just pull over if it looks good, the only thing is reservation lands are touchy as the local tribes want their cut.
Any good local map will have scienic viewpoints and areas of interest.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#2]
... Keep your pistol nigh whilst sleeping outdoors.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Gunslinger,
I'll be passing thru about midnight and leaving early AM so the scenery will have to take a backseat this trip. Been around the area before, but don't remember it that well. Is it cool just to pull off the road ala truckers, pop the tent and call it a night?

Thanks again,

CW
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#4]
... It will be nippy!
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
... Keep your pistol nigh whilst sleeping outdoors.

Thanks WW,
Don't have a pistol; will a Benelli M1 Tactical, pistol grip, ghost rings with 3" magnum 00 and slugs work?    Also, thanks for the weather sitrep, I kinda figured it wouldn't be FL weather out there.

Thanks again,

CW
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Make sure you have your gun at hand.  A young couple was killed a few weeks ago in AZ about 75 miles south of Flag off of I-17
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Make sure you have your gun at hand.  A young couple was killed a few weeks ago in AZ about 75 miles south of Flag off of I-17

Thanks mjrowley,
One of the reasons I posted the question was to get input as to where some "nice" places are. Don't have any qualms about introducing the less socially acceptable to forced lead injections, but would rather not go thru the hassle. I'm sort of looking for communal parking, the safety in numbers bit.

Thanks again,

CW
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 12:26:10 AM EDT
[#8]
There is a relativley decent rest area between Flagstaff and Winslow that I would stay at, if I had to. A non-rest area place would be the Buffalo range road exit east of Flag, maybe the Winona exit or even the Meteor Crater exit.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks AZ-K9,
Great to have several options.

CW
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:06:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Don't have any qualms about introducing the less socially acceptable to forced lead injections, but would rather not go thru the hassle.

And even then, you'd better be a very light sleeper.  At home, I'm pretty confident in my response time because I have an alarm to wake me up and give me a couple seconds to shake off the sleep.  On the road, it's a lot more dangerous.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top