Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/11/2003 2:09:29 PM EDT
Hello all,
I'm new from IL and am interested in some handgun training. Are there any recommendations for the NW Phoenix area, for a basic intro course?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 2:21:47 PM EDT
Welcome to AZ.If you haven't done so already, the AZ CCW course. Shooter's World might be near you and they teach classes.www.azshootersworld.com
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 2:37:35 PM EDT
Thanks Redbone, but I forgot to mention that I'm under-21. AFAIK, if I took a CCW class, I'd be paying more for something I can't have, anyway.

I'm also assuming that unlike back in IL, even though I'm under-21, I'll be able to purchase my own handgun, rather than a parent? (I haven't found a good site online for AZ firearms laws.)

I've been slow in getting back into shooting, it's taken a lot to adjust to everything out here.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 3:00:26 PM EDT
FYI: Just contacted AZ Shooter's World, and they aren't hosting any basic handgun classes stemming from lack of public interest.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 4:02:21 PM EDT
How far northwest are you? Ken Senft at Guns Plus teaches a variety of firearms classes.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 5:03:17 PM EDT
To answer your question about buying handguns, I believe it's legal to purchase handguns third-party under the age of 21, but over 18. Like if a neighbor had one to sell. Don't quote me on this, though. I'm no lawyer or anything.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 5:04:32 PM EDT
If youre in NW Phoenix, youre not too far away from desert terrain. Get some targets, hop in your car, find a nice spot to shoot and go run some drills of your own.

Here's a good place to start.

www.kuci.uci.edu/~dany/firearms/drills.html
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 6:19:27 PM EDT

Or if you like you may try out the Cactus League shoot every Thursday night at Ben Avery Shooting Range

Go to: www.cactusmatch.com/matches.htm

Although you may need someone twentyone or over to be present with you.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:04:33 PM EDT
Great, guys, I appreciate it. Maybe I'll get some more practical use of my AR out here :)

As far as heading into the desert: I've heard of complications from shooting on different types of restricted land (tribal / forest?) so I'll probably stick to either Ben Avery or the indoor ones around here to start w/.

I like the sound of the Cactus League, but right now I'm a handgun tyro and don't want to be asking questions every minute about basic stuff. I wouldn't mind observing a shoot sometime, to see what it's all about, though.

I'll check out Guns Plus, that's not too far away.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 8:12:13 PM EDT
glendale community college has a lot of classes available that are hands on gun classes.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 8:36:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Carbine10:

Or if you like you may try out the Cactus League shoot every Thursday night at Ben Avery Shooting Range

Go to: www.cactusmatch.com/matches.htm

Although you may need someone twentyone or over to be present with you.

Thanks for the link.That Practical Shooters match on Sundays looks interesting.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 3:52:10 AM EDT
Try calling The Armory in Scottsdale. They still do their traing at Ben Avery.

Welcome to America.

SD
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:44:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/30/2003 8:29:13 PM EDT by futuredan]
You are correct that you must be 21 in AZ for a CCW. All of the rules can be found at: www.dps.state.az.us/ccw/ . Also, Maricopa Tactical does training at Ben Avery. Their courses and schedule are at www.maricopatactical.com . Welcome to Arizona
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 10:23:02 PM EDT
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm wondering: Is nobody mentioning Gunsite because of the price?
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 10:25:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SailorDude:
Try calling The Armory in Scottsdale. They still do their traing at Ben Avery.

Welcome to America.

SD

Excellent choice. The Armory has some people that have been there and done that.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 8:55:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By teknical:
Hello all,
I'm new from IL and am interested in some handgun training. Are there any recommendations for the NW Phoenix area, for a basic intro course?

Thanks.

When are you coming out here?

Mike
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 11:37:07 AM EDT
yea.. if you're out out here already, there is always the shoot this weekend out in CG with us on here... but granted thats not training..hehehe. Im in the northwest as well, and went to guns plus a few months back... Ken is a damn friendly guy! that shop is not too far from surprise.
Top Top