Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2003 5:33:02 PM EDT
I have a friend that is down here from Maryland and I want to take him shooting.  I don't want to go to the range because we have a group of us and nobody wants to pay the $6 range fee, and you also have more freedoms when shooting in the dessert (what your target is, when you can go look at it, etc.).  Lately, I've been going up the B-line then turn on the road that heads to Saguaro Lake.  Along that road is turn off where I've gone before, but you have to hike a far distance and the area isn't all that ideal for shooting.  Anyone have any advice on where else to go? I would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 12:05:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Most of the area you are describing is Tonto national forest and is a no no for shooting.

Try out east just before and after florence junction.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 1:05:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Most of the area you are describing is Tonto national forest and is a no no for shooting.

Try out east just before and after florence junction.

Why is it a no no to shoot in the forest? I do all the time?

www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/recreation/Rec_rogs/shoot_rog.htm
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have a friend that is down here from Maryland and I want to take him shooting.  I don't want to go to the range because we have a group of us and nobody wants to pay the $6 range fee, and you also have more freedoms when shooting in the dessert (what your target is, when you can go look at it, etc.).  Lately, I've been going up the B-line then turn on the road that heads to Saguaro Lake.  Along that road is turn off where I've gone before, but you have to hike a far distance and the area isn't all that ideal for shooting.  Anyone have any advice on where else to go? I would appreciate it.

Go to the Sycamore wash.  If you are on the B-Line coming from Mesa, you go past the right turn towards Saguaro Lake and then take the first possible Left Turn after it. It's just a crossover to the other side of the road, and it's a little hard to spot the first time. Crossover to the dirt road and follow it for about 1-2 miles down to the river bed. All along the river bed will be good shooting spots with good backstops. Plenty of good desert campsites too.

Link Posted: 7/24/2003 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Make sure you leave a shitload of crap out there too!  you know..  Trash the place!
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Areas closed in Tonto Nat'l Forest.

www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/shooting/general_shoot.htm
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Come on out to Casa Grande.

Nice Range , no range master.

Better on weekdays.

30 minutes from Mesa.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Come on out to Casa Grande.

Nice Range , no range master.

Better on weekdays.

Where in Casa Grande???  I go out there a lot for work during the week (usually once ever week or two) and I am usually done by noon.  I'd like to take my AR out and go shooting after I am done...
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Ianq, take IH 10 to IH8 west.

take Trekkle exit, then go south/left.

continue straight when road turns to gravel to left hand curve.

continue to skeet range, then go right to public range on left after police range.

clean up after yourself please.

IM me if you need further help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top