Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2003 2:30:13 PM EDT

I just did mine for Deer and Elk online. It's easy and they only charge $5.00 for each applicant. They will only charge for permit if your drawn.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting to All!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you give me AZ hunting 101?

I have never been hunting, but would like to. what's involved (registration, equipment and fees). From what I'm told, my odds of getting drawn are good, because I've never "put in" for a draw before. Is there any truth to that? If I enter and get drawn, is anyone willing to take the newbie?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:38:20 AM EDT
[#2]
There is no advantage to having never applied before. It is a standard lottery system and the only "advantage" is a bonus point for every year you get drawn. This bonus point however, is almost nothing and barely, if even at all, increases your chances.

In order to hunt, you gotta go to the website www.azgfd.com/ and apply.

A real quick lesson is this. In AZ, you can hunt most small game with a simple hunting license, available at any WalMart or most gun stores. There are times when the season is closed for a specific species however, so it would be best to consult the website or pick up a copy of the rules at the nearest Wallyworld.

To hunt big game (Elk, deer, javelina?, Antelope) you must apply and be drawn. The Elk, Antelope and Deer draws are soon, and you should not wait, if you really want to try hunting big game this year. A javelina draw is later in the year, as the hunts for them are scehuled in March.

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I put in for Big Horn Sheep.

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Big horn sheep is a tough hunt from what I hear....good luck
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I got in for rifle deer and archery Elk.  I woudl really like to go mountian lion hunting here, but I don't know where to go here in AZ and no one I hunt with hunts Mountian Lion.  Also putting in for a Utah Elk hunt.  I still have my Archery Deer tag that I bought when I went Pig-alina hunting in Jan.  

Where do you guys normally hunt?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Big horn sheep is a tough hunt from what I hear....good luck

A good friend of mine has been a guide in AZ for over 25 years.  He scouts twice a month.

The Hard part is getting drawn and keeping up with the old guy...
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I put in for 32, 33, and 31 for Mule deer.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Received my hunting liscense today. Also I went to Table Mesa Rd. to shoot this Saturday morning. Was setting up my targets and spooked four deer out of their bedding place. They were good size and stopped about seventy-five yards away to look back at me. They then ran to about 150 yards away and stopped for awhile looking at me. Damm I hope I have this luck while hunting. With my AR10 I could of dropped all four of them. What a dream that would of been.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top