Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2003 6:20:20 PM EDT
I feel the extreme need to go out and explore my new home state next weekend. Damn the heat, I'll find something to do outdoors.

Anybody up for some camping or ghost town touring, maybe even some shooting next weekend?

Anyone have an interest in metal detecting gold nuggets? Im totally game for that kinda stuff!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#1]
You may want to ease into the AZ summer activities. Many physically fit individuals have fallen victim to heat exhaustion or sun stroke. Start off pool side, or at the river. Then work your way into the hills.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#2]
... Do the cool route Northern Arizona drive! (take your camera)

... Take off north on I-17, past Camp Verde turn off to Sedona. Stop and eat at Oaxaca Restaurante & Cantina there, be sure to have a couple margaritas. Stroll through Tlaquepaque to work off some of the enchiladas. Head up Oak Creek Canyon stopping somewhere past the campgrounds to wade into the water for a spell. Continue north on 89A up the switchbacks to Flagstaff. Secure a room at Little America Hotel then head into old town. Hit Beaver Street Brewery & Whistle Stop Cafe 11 for a few Railhead Red Ales. If you have a few days you must hit the Grand Canyon, I could type a whole other thread about that, but lets assume you don’t.
In the morning take a drive up to Arizona Snowbowl and take a lift to the top of the mountain, now there's a way to see the State!
On your way down off the San Francisco Peaks, stop off at Museum of Northern Arizona and really get a eyeful of Arizona history and culture. If staying another night, you might try dinner at Black Barts Steak House Saloon & Musical Revue, it's pretty neat and they BBQ's great steaks. Head over to the Museum Club for a nightcap. In the morning if you have interest head east about 40 miles to Meteor Crater if that stuff interests you. (got to see it once, got a fair museums there too)
Head back towards Flagstaff, if you’re still early check out Walnut Canyon; has some very interesting Indian ruins you can actually walk amongst.
Just before town turn south towards Lake Mary and Mormon Lake. Meander down the beautiful drive to Strawberry. Stretch your legs there and look around, it’s cool. Continue south to Payson and on down to Mesa / Phoenix.
There are literally thousands of way cool spots to hit but that is a great two day route.

Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey guys,

Thanks for the tips! I agree, slow and easy is the probably the best for me at this time. 100 doesnt seem to be bothering me and the night temps are awesome right now.

I was definately thinking about going up into the mountains where its a little cooler right now...probably what I might do!

Ive actually done alot of exploring up around Holbrook already, due to a broken transmission that stranded me there a few years ago!

Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

... Holbrook

... Holbrook blows big time
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#5]
If I lived out there, I'd take a Pink Jeep Tour of the mountains around Prescott.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, it seems to be kinda "dyke heavy" around here.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Start off pool side, or at the river.

Yea, go to the river.  I work medical there with S.O.  So once you pass out from Beer or Heat (or both) I can have someone to stick with an IV!!!!  

Just kidding, there are TONS of cool places to go and check out in AZ.  I'm sure you can find something.  I second the Mormon Lake area, it's where I Elk hunt and it's beautiful there!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:13:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yeah, it seems to be kinda "dyke heavy" around here.

... WTF does that mean?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:13:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Salt River tubing starts this Saturday 05/24.
Maybe that would be a good indoctrination to the  wonders of the AZ wildlife?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:27:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

... Holbrook

... Holbrook blows big time

Hey! Watch it!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:11:20 AM EDT
[#11]
It means that it SEEMS like there are more lesbians than gays around here. Maybe seeing Napolitano so much on TV has skewed the perspective.

Now, if they were lipstick lesbians, that would be a little better.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:14:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Salt River tubing starts this Saturday 05/24.
Maybe that would be a good indoctrination to the  wonders of the AZ wildlife?

If I could rig-up some floating shade (an inner tube with an awning) I would be all over that! Im not a huge drinker as its almost as fun watching others.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top