Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2003 7:20:58 AM EDT
Hey Guys, I'm considering relocating to Phoenix.  Could someone who lives in the area email me privately and answer some questions I have reagarding neighborhoods, schools, etc?  I've been doing my research, but would like some personal opinions from those in the know.  Primarlily the West Valley.
Link Posted: 3/24/2003 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#1]
None of you AZ guy's can help this guy? [:\]
Link Posted: 3/24/2003 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I emailed him, but Im not on the westsiiiiide!!!

On that note, I'd say stay the hell away from the west side.  Hit the East Valley or perhaps far north Phoenix area.

The schools in the Chandler/Mesa/Tempe/Gilbert area are great.  Community colleges out here are absofuckinglutely unbeatable.

I cant really think of anything else right now.
Link Posted: 3/24/2003 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Is Glendale on the east side?
Link Posted: 3/24/2003 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

No it isn't. It's on the west side. You really don't want to live there, a lot of businesses are going away. Glendale is mostly antique shops and taco stands. Peoria seems to be the "hot spot", Chandler too.
AB
Link Posted: 3/24/2003 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it isn't. It's on the west side. You really don't want to live there, a lot of businesses are going away. Glendale is mostly antique shops and taco stands. Peoria seems to be the "hot spot", Chandler too.
AB

E-mail sent.  I live in Arrowhead (Glendale).  I had to put down my taco and push my antiques out of the way to post this.

Link Posted: 3/24/2003 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Phoenix isn't too bad.  Personally I like living south of the 101 and in between I-17 and the 51.  Makes getting anywhere convenient.  There are plenty of new housing startups in the area, anywhere from 90-160k for a new home in planned neighborhoods.  Schools, I've got no clue on.  I think public schools are crap anyway.  

-luke
Link Posted: 3/24/2003 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AB

I did see a lot of taco shops now that you mentioned it. FirearmTom1 could you move to a nice area like Mesa? I don't want my truck stolen while I'm visiting you. I guess I could just leave before it gets dark. Bob
Link Posted: 3/24/2003 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#8]
West Valley? Is it going to be long term? Goodyear or Buckeye would be my choice.
Link Posted: 3/24/2003 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#9]

If you must live on the West side. May I suggest Avondale, AZ. It's South of Luke Air Force base. Alot of new devlopment out their. I have a friend that owns his own business. He lives in one of those backyard lake properties in Avondale. So if you move to West side. Stay West of the Loop 101 FWY. Also from out there you can watch them complete the Phoenix Coyotes Stadium. And they will be breaking ground soon to build the Arizona Cardinals stadium.
I'm a A/C tech. so I travel all over the valley. I've seen it all. I have even gone from a job at a crack house in South Phoenix. To a job in a ten million house in Carefree. North of Phoenix. What types of enviroment my job takes me to.
Link Posted: 3/25/2003 5:30:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I've noticed lots of cigarette stores in Glendale too...what's up with that?
Link Posted: 3/25/2003 5:30:38 AM EDT
[#11]
North Goodyear is the area we stayed in and are considering.  I was amazed at the low cost of homes in this area.  Which is also why I am a bit hesitant.  Is this an area where you'd want to raise your kids in, or where you'd go if you couldn't afford another area?
Link Posted: 3/25/2003 6:20:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I moved to Goodyear last year, seems like a good place for families. Being a single, 25 yr old constrcution worker I find the town a bit tame to say the least, but it's a nice looking area and no security problems with my house/car. Only complaint is when the wind blows from the west, you can smell the cow fields.
I love the smell of nitrates in the morning! Smells like....FERTILIZER!
Oh yeah, not to start a flame war, but most people in AZ can't drive for s**t.
Link Posted: 3/25/2003 6:27:59 AM EDT
[#13]

I agree that public schools lack (as said in a previous post).  In AZ the state may give you a voucher for your kids to attend private school and pick up some or all of the cost.  Don't quote me on that, I don't have kids.

Can anyone with kids post some more info on this for darwindog?

If you do decide to do the public schools route I'd have to recommend moving next to a brand new school.
Link Posted: 3/25/2003 7:27:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Schools are one of my main concerns.  We looked at a Masterplanned community called Estrella Mountain Ranch.  They had their own school system.  When I asked why, the answer kinda alluded to the fact that the local schools weren't the greatest, but she was very diplomatic and wouldn't give me details to their possible shortcomings.  This would be a permanant move where we would raise our kids BTW.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2003 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Avondale is 33/66.
North is good, but central and south Avondale should be nuked.

There is a serious school overcrowding problem in Avondale, no matter the school district.

One district opened up a new elementary school last summer, and it was overcrowded by several hundred on day one, and just got worse from there.

During the three months we lived down in that area, my daughter went to Sheely Farms Elementary, which is in far western Phoenix on the Avondale border.

Houses are going up way faster than schools.

I would take a long hard look before I picked a place to live down there.

Jay
Link Posted: 3/25/2003 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Estrella Mountain Ranch is where they use to advertise where Jason Kid lived.

The city of Goodyear has a master plan over the next twenty years. Something like 10,000 homes. They say this will be the new Scottsdale.

The Valley is running out of space to grow. So West is going to be the largest growth area. The city of Scottsdale is trapped for growth. Indian reservation along West side of it, Phoenix to the East, and Tempe to the South. And the only place to build is North. Which is already extremely pricey. Then Carefree is the North end of Scottsdale.

I would say once the economey turns around Goodyear is going to explode. As in most towns that grow fast schools are slow to keep up.

So if you want to move to a new and booming town. Then Goodyear would be it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2003 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#17]
My advice is to stay on the east side!

If you want to deal with crime, live in the avenues (west side).  Just visit Phoenix once or twice and watch the 10PM news and you'll hear that about 90% of all of the crime takes place on the west side.

Stick to Chandler (nice), Mesa (okay) or Scottsdale (really nice but expensive).  Carefree is a little far north for my taste.

Not sure about the school systems.

Drivie
Link Posted: 3/26/2003 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/27/2003 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#19]
darwin,

Theres an old  saying in real estate.  There are 3 factors - location, location, location.  

Seriuously, where you look is dependant on lots of stuff.  Where are you going to work?  If I had a job in Chandler I sure as hell wouldn't live where I do in the northeast area.  OTOH if you work in Carefree, you don't want to live in Apache Junction (which I think is still in Arizona?).

The question is, where are you going to work, and how much can you spend on housing.  In Phoenix you pretty much get (schools, crime, etc) what you pay for.  In general, norther and easter is better and  pricier.

Link Posted: 3/28/2003 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#20]
... If entertaining East Valley, you should look at Las Sendas. The 202 freeway makes it's way to Higley road now.
Link Posted: 4/1/2003 3:20:13 AM EDT
[#21]
My wife and I are moving to AZ in July and have been looking at Mesa and Chandler.We have no kids and she's going to be transferring to ASU.Our hardest part is finding an apt that allows big dogs.Can anyone recommend an apt that allows 90lb Staffordshire Terriers?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 11:12:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:41:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Chandler is the way to go. We have everything you need out here so I rarely venture into Pheonix.The only bad thing I have to say about it is Arizona Ave. It can get pretty rough over there but it doesn't seem to spill out into the surrounding neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:15:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Oh yeah, not to start a flame war, but most people in AZ can't drive for s**t.

That's because most people in AZ retired from CA, and brought their non-existent driving skills with them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#25]
LoL aint that the truth! I almost got run off the road by some ANCIENT guy in a big A-s town car. When I honked at him, he just waved and kept going. Sheeesh.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top