View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rant was 6/10.  Solid job.
Absolute lack of swearing cut me down hard, I see
Lol, the F-Bomb itself adds one point.

Johnstown may have grown since you lived there.  I live in Alexandria and there are a few pretty good restaurants in Jtown now.  The housing market is on fire and there are a ton of new developments around town that are pretty nice.  It is still surrounded by corn and beans, which I like.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
30 miles north of I-270 you start hitting the edge of the lake effect snow.  Just keep that in mind.  The further north, the more snow you get.  Columbus gets gray slush and gray skies.

Lancaster looks good on paper.  It's full of methbillies.
Canal Winchester is hit or miss, the sections bordering Groveport are pretty bad.
Reynoldsburg is trying to still be a small town, but it's big and ghetto and in denial.
Pickerington is in the middle of all this.  Somewhat better than the surrounding cities but stupid traffic.
Gahanna isn't bad.
Westerville was good 10 years ago.  I wouldn't buy a house there now, but renting wouldn't be terrible in the short term.
On the west side, Hilliard isn't too bad but it's surrounded by and full of industrial areas.  I hope you like dump trucks.
New Albany is good if you are loaded.  Property taxes will murder you if you aren't.  There are sections of Columbus that border New Albany that are more Columbus prices, with the feel of living in New Albany.  I can suggest an apartment complex that meets this description if you are interested, a friend lives there and is happy with it.
Columbus school districts are some of the worst in the state.  If you care about schools look at Upper Arlington, Dublin, New Albany.  Not sure if Westerville finally went to shit or if it's still good.
Anything Licking county is surrounded by corn fields full of deer.  Deer can go back to hell where they belong.  Same with all the tractors that want to go 5 mph in front of me while I'm trying to get to work.

Eastern and Southern Ohio is a beautiful area with lots of pollution and no jobs.  I grew up in Marietta and have a love/hate relationship with it.  I'll probably never return.

I lived in Johnstown for 12 years, which was mentioned by some of the others here.  There's a grocery store there, and like 5 places to eat.  If you want anything else it's a minimum 20 minute drive, more like 30 - 40 for most stuff to do.  Also, tractors and weaving around deer.

If I had to do it all over again, and was forced to stay in Ohio, I'd go to the Cincinnati area.  Better climate, better scenery.  King's Island.  Columbus is just where people go to find work, not because it has any other draw.
View Quote
All the reasons why you don’t like Johnstown are all the reasons I love it.

I’ll keep my corn fields full of deer thank you.

You can keep all the restaurants and “stuff to do” in Columbus and the ghetto that comes with it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#4]
One problem with living and working many years in the Midwest is your wages could be lower than in a higher cost of living place.  Once you retire it could be harder to move to a higher cost of living place if you haven’t saved like crazy for it.  If you want to stay then that’s not an issue.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
One problem with living and working many years in the Midwest is your wages could be lower than in a higher cost of living place.  Once you retire it could be harder to move to a higher cost of living place if you haven’t saved like crazy for it.  If you want to stay then that’s not an issue.
View Quote
NYS often ranks #51 for adjusted cost of living out of all states year to year. It ranks dead last with Puerto Rico included in the rankings.

We’ve managed to squirrel away a decent nest egg thus far despite the fact our taxes are terrible. We have a 1500 sf home and a 2500 sf lot and pay more than $5000 in taxes yearly. If one needs something to live, NY taxes it. It’s tough to make ends meet in even a two income household.

Now consider gun laws, overregulation on everything and when compared to Ohio, it feels like we’re trying to move to a veritable paradise.

Someone mentioned lake effect snow, I live in the snowiest city in the contiguous US. We average around 10 feet of snow accumulation yearly. There’s 14” of snow on my deck currently.

My wife has to contact the US social security administration to prove her identity in order to renew her NYS drivers license. If she was an illegal alien, NY will issue her a DL with no questions asked then deny ICE access to her information. That’s what we’re escaping.

There’s bad parts of every state. Consider the NY government and every part of NY becomes bad.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:41:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Morrow county ain't bad.  I'm pretty happy here.  Drive daily to hiliard (45min) for work, been going to cbus and the North side (Powell,golf course) since I moved here, from Powell in 08.  I suggest, if absolutely nothing else, stay outside the 270 loop.  Outside of 270, traffic really isint too bad unless there's an accident...  Inside 270, it will take you 20-40minutes to go the store, or cross the city.  That's just how it is.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#7]
One of the best decisions ever made was leaving NYS. Been in Columbus area 25 years. There are worse places to be.

As mentioned by lvciprian... Richwood is a nice club.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:33:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Johnstown may have grown since you lived there.  I live in Alexandria and there are a few pretty good restaurants in Jtown now.  The housing market is on fire and there are a ton of new developments around town that are pretty nice.  It is still surrounded by corn and beans, which I like.
View Quote
I moved out of Johnstown 3 months ago

Edit - I think you're the guy that got my friend Rick a job at a golf course a few years back
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Morrow county ain't bad.  I'm pretty happy here.  Drive daily to hiliard (45min) for work, been going to cbus and the North side (Powell,golf course) since I moved here, from Powell in 08.  I suggest, if absolutely nothing else, stay outside the 270 loop.  Outside of 270, traffic really isint too bad unless there's an accident...  Inside 270, it will take you 20-40minutes to go the store, or cross the city.  That's just how it is.
View Quote
Marengo has the worst roads I've seen in my life. A friend used to live there and I remember having to dodge the holes in the bridges by his house.

Cardington charges something like $200 a month for water because they let their system fall apart to the point where it needed a massive overhaul and they couldn't afford to fix it.

Unfortunately that's what you get when you live in the least taxed part of the state. As much as I don't like paying taxes, I'd much rather have utilities and roads in proper condition.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Edit - I think you're the guy that got my friend Rick a job at a golf course a few years back
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’re damn right I am.  I need to catch up to Rick and Meatball, it’s been awhile.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You're damn right I am.  I need to catch up to Rick and Meatball, it's been awhile.
View Quote
I'm sure Rick would like that. Meatball passed on though
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Are you finding a job before an apartment? I would try to live as close to work as possible to start with.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

First off my wife and I appreciate all the suggestions so far.

My wife has a phone interview tomorrow with a company out of Canal Winchester. We don't know much about the area, but if her conversation goes well I'm going to switch up my search in proximity to that area.

We looked at some houses in the area and my wife nearly shit herself at the taxes. Less than half of what we're paying currently!

Keep it coming! We're getting excited about the prospects.
View Quote
I have lived several places on the east side and was in a condo up in Polaris/Lewis center area but traffic sucked. It was nice to be close to all the shops and food but again traffic sucked.

I then moved southwest corner near grove city to be closer to kid but hated that area..

I bought a house in Groveport last year. Decent prices on homes. easy access to 33 which can have some traffic issues depending n time of day. I am only a few miles from Canal winchester and that area is growing pretty steadily. I can still get from my home to polaris in 30 mins ( my dr is still there and i was there yesterday for lunch)

If you need a realitor my buddy is who i used. He is a friend and is also my motorcycle mechanic as he has side business and sells on side plus he works full time in equip sale. he used to live in polaris area and then bought a home in Canal. loves it here
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
East side is where it's at. Housing is less expensive than the West or North sides, and if you work in town the sun is at your back driving in in the morning and home at night. Plus my shop is out East and We have NFA stuff in stock and a Silencershop Kiosk for stuff we don't
View Quote
im looking for a new place to do transfers that wont cost $50 a gun..
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are you finding a job before an apartment? I would try to live as close to work as possible to start with.
View Quote
Yes, correct. Wife and I are risk averse; we have a pretty substantial savings but don’t want to lose income while job hunting.

To complicate things, my wife is pregnant. Whether it’s hormones or something else, she’s trying to pump the brakes. I’m still forging ahead though because we’ve been talking about this for years, now is the time. We have the name of a great OB doc my brother’s wife used in Hilliard, which has calmed some of her fears (we lost our son at 20 weeks gestation last November). We also realized one can throw a stone and hit a daycare center in the area so our daughter will be ok if my wife tries to find a temp job. We don’t think she’ll be able to find something permanent until after she delivers.

Regardless, I got her to agree to see if a job offer comes through, whether it’s enough to cover the family and the move, and go from there.

I’m going to be in Dublin tomorrow evening around 4 or 5pm and leave after my final interview Tuesday afternoon. Really looking forward to breathing some better air if only for a few hours. @bdover see you Tuesday!
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
30 miles north of I-270 you start hitting the edge of the lake effect snow.  Just keep that in mind.  The further north, the more snow you get.  Columbus gets gray slush and gray skies.

Canal Winchester is hit or miss, the sections bordering Groveport are pretty bad.
Reynoldsburg is trying to still be a small town, but it's big and ghetto and in denial.
Pickerington is in the middle of all this.  Somewhat better than the surrounding cities but stupid traffic.
Gahanna isn't bad.
Westerville was good 10 years ago.  I wouldn't buy a house there now, but renting wouldn't be terrible in the short term.
On the west side, Hilliard isn't too bad but it's surrounded by and full of industrial areas.  I hope you like dump trucks.
New Albany is good if you are loaded.  Property taxes will murder you if you aren't.  There are sections of Columbus that border New Albany that are more Columbus prices, with the feel of living in New Albany.  I can suggest an apartment complex that meets this description if you are interested, a friend lives there and is happy with it.
Columbus school districts are some of the worst in the state.  If you care about schools look at Upper Arlington, Dublin, New Albany.  Not sure if Westerville finally went to shit or if it's still good.
Anything Licking county is surrounded by corn fields full of deer.  Deer can go back to hell where they belong.  Same with all the tractors that want to go 5 mph in front of me while I'm trying to get to work.

Eastern and Southern Ohio is a beautiful area with lots of pollution and no jobs.  I grew up in Marietta and have a love/hate relationship with it.  I'll probably never return.

I lived in Johnstown for 12 years, which was mentioned by some of the others here.  There's a grocery store there, and like 5 places to eat.  If you want anything else it's a minimum 20 minute drive, more like 30 - 40 for most stuff to do.  Also, tractors and weaving around deer.

If I had to do it all over again, and was forced to stay in Ohio, I'd go to the Cincinnati area.  Better climate, better scenery.  King's Island.  Columbus is just where people go to find work, not because it has any other draw.
View Quote
West of 270, are London and West Jefferson.  Two places I would highly recommend.  I am in near South Vienna, which is 30 minutes west of Columbus, in a township (Harmony).  I recommend that even more... great school, good neighbors, easy access to 70, no local income taxes, not permits for building, no real government, per se....
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#18]
@thirtsty

I’ll see you at the office!
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 2:00:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm in Dublin but we're looking to sell and move to a ranch in the Plain City area. It's between Marysville and Dublin and is a small town with an amish community. Taxes in Dublin and Hilliard pretty high, so I'd consider somewhere just west of there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Job interview went great. While not official, an offer is expected and from the conversation I had with HR, it’s going to be solid. More salary from where I am, greater responsibility at work and 10-20% lower cost of living from where we are living currently. Still have some negotiating to do, but we’re extremely optimistic.

Now the property hunt is taking on new urgency. And... my wife and I have to figure how to sell our house during the COVID panic as well. Current interest rates will probably take the sting out, but talk about unfortunate timing.

One of the points of negotiation will be to see how far the company might let the start date slide in case the situation escalates nationally.

We’re packing up our shit and starting to stage the house so we’ll be ready to list.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Gahanna isn't bad.

View Quote
You forgot GroveTucky

If OP needs any intel on Grove City PM me
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Just like that and thanks to COVID, I’m no longer sure an offer will come. I should learn more next week but it’s a bummer.

Truthfully though there was a lot of uncertainty in how we were going to handle the move in light of everything shutting down. Also uncertain how the economy will fare through this and whether there will be work to do when it’s all said and done. We’d rather avoid moving and get stuck with no way to support ourselves.

So the delay might be a postponement, which would be great, or it might be indefinite.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 12:55:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You forgot GroveTucky

If OP needs any intel on Grove City PM me
View Quote

Grovetucky goes to great lengths to have the largest possible displays of the official Ohio state flower

The orange construction barrel

Attachment Attached File

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top