Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2017 3:50:19 AM EDT
Where is the post explaining the Ohio large capacity magazine law?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:06:06 AM EDT
[#1]
That law no longer exists. Ohio currently has no restrictions on magazine capacities.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:08:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#3]
The 30 rd mag limit was eliminated in 2015 I believe. Some out of state dealer/manufacturers have not caught wind of it though as I still notices some places say they wont ship high cap mags to Ohio.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#4]
The former Alaskan state trooper at New Albany Shooting range said a full rifle magazine is considered a machine gun in Ohio.

I never renewed my membership.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The former Alaskan state trooper at New Albany Shooting range said a full rifle magazine is considered a machine gun in Ohio.

View Quote
It fascinates me how people are so confident in their stupidity.  Especially on gun laws.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Law was changed in 2015, House Bill 234.

https://www.lsc.ohio.gov/documents/gaDocuments/analyses130/14-hb234-130.pdf

See page 2, under "Automatic firearms":

"Removes  from  the  Weapons  Law  definition  of  "automatic  firearm"  any  semi- automatic  firearm  designed  or  specially  adapted  to  fire  more  than  31  cartridges without  reloading,  other  than  a  firearm  chambering  only  .22  caliber  short,  long,  or long rifle cartridges (R.C. 2923.11(E))."
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#7]
There are still places that think the city/town specific mag limits are in effect. ... the ones that got preemption slapped on em in the early 90's.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
My understanding is new albany shooting range pays shitty. A saying I like goes- if you pay peanuts you get monkeys. Let my membership expire years ago but still shoot there once or twice a year. They have two part time guys that are decent. Everyone else there is useless. It's a shame because they are the closest range for me. Been hoping the owner(s) would sell to someone else for years.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Would be handy to have an Ohio Law pocket reference guide when talking to the uneducated.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Would be handy to have an Ohio Law pocket reference guide when talking to the uneducated.
View Quote
Those are sold for the entire ORC (Ohio Revised Code) as well as the Basic Code... different locations use each version.

The laws change  about every 6 months, so keeping up with current code isn't the easiest... luckily, free versions of both codes are available online (search ORC and Ohio Basic Criminal Codes) and they update every time a law changes.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:48:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My understanding is new albany shooting range pays shitty. A saying I like goes- if you pay peanuts you get monkeys. Let my membership expire years ago but still shoot there once or twice a year. They have two part time guys that are decent. Everyone else there is useless. It's a shame because they are the closest range for me. Been hoping the owner(s) would sell to someone else for years.
View Quote
It wasn't even a discussion we were having. I was checking in, and he wanted to do a ammo check, to make sure I wasn't shooting steal. Came to the range to shoot, not load mags, so I had all my windowed Pmags loaded up. He threw a fit, and I asked if he wanted me to unload each mag.

That's when he lectured me on having loaded rifle mags, as they're now classified as a machine gun.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:43:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks everyone.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top