Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 9/1/2017 2:53:04 PM EDT
(Copied from my reply to your GD PSA thread)

In Ohio we all know (hopefully) that you have to stop for flashing red lights on a school bus on a 2 lane road (one lane in each direction) 
I don't believe you have to stop for flashing red lights on a school bus when it is on the opposite side of a 2 lane (each way) divided boulevard with a physical barrier. 

Something like this: (3 lanes here, but you get the idea) 

But what about a 2 lane divided boulevard with no physical barrier, except for maybe a suicide lane? 

Like this: 

Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:04:39 PM EDT
[#1]
4 or more lanes = no stop for other side... i have passed people using the turning lane to get around "stopped" traffic because of this..

ORC:
Where a highway has been divided into four or more traffic lanes, a driver of a vehicle, streetcar, or trackless trolley need not stop for a school bus approaching from the opposite direction which has stopped for the purpose of receiving or discharging any school child, persons attending programs offered by community boards of mental health and county boards of developmental disabilities, or children attending programs offered by head start agencies.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't believe they are allowed to let kids cross a road that wide anyway
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
4 or more lanes = no stop for other side... i have passed people using the turning lane to get around "stopped" traffic because of this..

ORC:
Where a highway has been divided into four or more traffic lanes, a driver of a vehicle, streetcar, or trackless trolley need not stop for a school bus approaching from the opposite direction which has stopped for the purpose of receiving or discharging any school child, persons attending programs offered by community boards of mental health and county boards of developmental disabilities, or children attending programs offered by head start agencies.
View Quote
This 
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:27:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Very good.

Another scenario; A divided boulevard, each side plenty wide for 2 cars traveling side by side but no painted center line on the pavement. Is that considered 4 lanes or more?

A lot of my commute home from work are roads of this kind. I had one female seasoned citizen poking along below the posted limit in front of me, moving from side to side purposely blocking me while I was trying to get around her. When we stopped at the next traffic light, she hollered "this is a one lane road, asshole!" I politely disagreed. 
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:33:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very good.

Another scenario; A divided boulevard, each side plenty wide for 2 cars traveling side by side but no painted center line on the pavement. Is that considered 4 lanes or more?

A lot of my commute home from work are roads of this kind. I had one female seasoned citizen poking along below the posted limit in front of me, moving from side to side purposely blocking me while I was trying to get around her. When we stopped at the next traffic light, she hollered "this is a one lane road, asshole!" I politely disagreed. 
View Quote
If there is no painted line to differentiate lanes going in the same direction, its one lane... But, it also doesn't matter.

You can still pass her on the left or right. Make sure you honk your horn first to give a warning. If she fails to heed your warning, she is in violation, and she is expected to a) stay toward the right side of the roadway to let you pass, and b) not impede or block traffic.

Passing on the left (4511.27)

Passing on the right (4511.28)
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#7]
thanks op, i always wondered about this 
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top