Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2017 10:07:29 PM EDT
I haven't seen it posted yet, but it's this weekend.  If somebody doesn't beat me to it, I'll post some links.  
If you've never been, it is a must see.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I live under a rock. What are you talking about?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#2]
True believer fest on Lake Erie under the guise of a reenactment.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#3]
links please
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:11:40 AM EDT
[#4]
We went for the first time last year. Great experience!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:03:54 AM EDT
[#5]
This will be the 3rd year for my son and I.

It really is a great experience.

Dday Ohio

Here's a shot of the German 88mm during the battle.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I played therefore 5-6 years.

Mostly quit because the public crowds got so big. Repressivly big.

The rest of my statement is pretty obvious. Stick around after dark and you will see.

I'm not naming names or calling anyone out if that's what you are worried about.

I choose to not attend in any way these days and quit reenacting do to the way it has moved.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:05:27 PM EDT
[#8]
My son and I will be there tomorrow.

We go every year.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:12:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I have never heard of this..  I love the directions page its says 132 miles from Columbus..lol more like 210
Next year I will make the run...
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:53:35 AM EDT
[#10]
For the people that have been before do you need chairs for the Beach assault?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#11]
You will need to set up a spot by 9:00am to get a spot close enough to  use a chair.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will need to set up a spot by 9:00am to get a spot close enough to  use a chair.
View Quote
Yeah I just found that out  didn't leave Columbus until 830.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Been going to this for five out of the last six years and wow has it grown even in just that time frame.  We got there a little later than usual so we missed the bridge battle between the airborne and the Germans but still managed a good vantage point for the beach invasion (watched in close at the British beach this go around) and the Maquis attack a few hours earlier.  My nine year old son was very into it all this year and asked a lot of questions both of myself and the reenactors in the various encampments, he had a great time.  

We parked in the old K-Mart parking lot and took the bus in.  Whoever drives the silver Pontiac with a BFL on the right side of their back window, I see you.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Been going to this for five out of the last six years and wow has it grown even in just that time frame.  We got there a little later than usual so we missed the bridge battle between the airborne and the Germans but still managed a good vantage point for the beach invasion (watched in close at the British beach this go around) and the Maquis attack a few hours earlier.  My nine year old son was very into it all this year and asked a lot of questions both of myself and the reenactors in the various encampments, he had a great time.  

We parked in the old K-Mart parking lot and took the bus in.  Whoever drives the silver Pontiac with a BFL on the right side of their back window, I see you.  
View Quote
I parked in the same lot as you, and we sat right where you described - right up by the ropes at Gold/Juno/Sword beach.

My BFL is on a black F150, though.

When we left, the line for the bus was insanely long, so we walked 3.5 miles back to the Kmart lot to get the truck.

By the way, @safe1 , I ran into your better half up by the allied camp area. Asked her to tell you hello.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:40:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#16]
We we're also in the same lot, no BFL though

We also stood in the same area in the "standing room only" behind the British beaches.

The lines were looonnng but we waited.
Went much faster than I  figured; less than an hour.
Couple of guys behind us in line walked back also.

I was there with my boy, BIL and his young daughter so it would've probably turned into a "Death march"!

BTW, did anybody else hear the rumor that they're trying to get a warship (I was specifically told a battleship by one of the volunteers working at the bus stop handing out the colored wristbands but that seemed VERY optimistic at best) to anchor out in the lake for naval support next year!?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

BTW, did anybody else hear the rumor that they're trying to get a warship (I was specifically told a battleship by one of the volunteers working at the bus stop handing out the colored wristbands but that seemed VERY optimistic at best) to anchor out in the lake for naval support next year!?
View Quote
I haven't heard anything about that in some time, but one of my son's Scout leaders told me a couple years ago that there was a destroyer anchored in Buffalo that they were going to try to get to the D-Day event.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#18]
any anti german BS happen there? 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not that I saw. Then again I didn't see the anything Pro either like someone mentioned in this thread.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
The SS were located apart from the other German reenactors. There were local police near the entrances, but Ohio State cops located near the SS camp. Those were the only staties I saw on Friday.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:00:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

He is saying that a fair number of the fake nazis are not quite so fake in their actual beliefs.
View Quote
This.

It's the one reason I got out of reenacting.  10 years ago I would have said it didn't exist.  5 years ago I would have said it was becoming a problem.  

Now, it is the norm within the SS.

The SS are separated for a reason.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#23]
It was the first time my family and I went, and we had a blast.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Glad you guys went.  It's certainly a sight to see.  Hope you got something out of it too.

I started the post and didn't even go this year.  Maybe next...
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top