Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2014 3:50:06 PM EDT
Hi

Can anyone confirm  max capacity of handgun mags in Ohio?

I ggogle but found conflicting answers

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#1]
The mag itself isn't illegal as long as they use a block or plug. Either way, police or civilian, the responsibility lays in the hands of the purchaser now.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#2]
You're fine. They sell them everywhere around here.

31+ round magazines can only be used in registered NFA weapons according to our ORC. This does not however, apply to .22 long or short rimfire calibers. You can have a 1,000 round drum of .22 in anything, even non-NFA.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 3:58:40 AM EDT
[#3]
It is legal to own whatever capacity mags you can find in Ohio. It is just not legal to use them. Anything you can imagine can be found for sale here...75rd AK mags, beta C AR mags, etc.
Once they are inserted into a firearm, that's when the law kicks in.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

31+ round magazines can only be used in registered NFA weapons according to our ORC. This does not however, apply to .22 long or short rimfire calibers. You can have a 1,000 round drum of .22 in anything, even non-NFA.
View Quote

this is correct! unless it is a NFA weapon. If they want to bust ya having a weapon and a plus 30 round mag in possession, that fit's the weapon.. your Shit out of luck, attorney time!.

rimfire is exempt
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It is legal to own whatever capacity mags you can find in Ohio. It is just not legal to use them. Anything you can imagine can be found for sale here...75rd AK mags, beta C AR mags, etc.
View Quote

hmmm. possession of a firearm that can use the magazine/drum,ect over 31 rnds. not inserted in, but in the occupants house/dwelling. There was a case years back on a mini14............the word construed?. comes to mind fella got convicted
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

... unless the weapon in question is an NFA weapon.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I just had someone from OH purchase my 33 round glock mags (did not know he was from OH prior to the purchase)  He says hes a cop and its ok for me to send, but I think that is incorrect.  Can anyone verify?
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Legal to own; not legal to use in a firearm unless it is a registered NFA item (the cop part is inconsequential to his legal ability to own the magazine)
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

this is correct! unless it is a NFA weapon. If they want to bust ya having a weapon and a plus 30 round mag in possession, that fit's the weapon.. your Shit out of luck, attorney time!.

rimfire is exempt
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

rimfire is exempt

I thought the 31 or more mags were only good in full auto guns but a no go in SBR guns.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I thought the 31 or more mags were only good in full auto guns but a no go in SBR guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

rimfire is exempt

I'm pretty sure you're confusing the language in the law, which albeit is written in an odd way -- the way the law is written, a firearm with capacity to hold >31 rounds is considered an "automatic" firearm, even if it fires one bullet at a time.  There is legislation making its way through the legislature to change this absurd definition.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#15]

I'm pretty sure you're confusing the language in the law, which albeit is written in an odd way -- the way the law is written, a firearm with capacity to hold >31 rounds is considered an "automatic" firearm, even if it fires one bullet at a time.  There is legislation making its way through the legislature to change this absurd definition.

My lib / progressive State Rep is in favor of it, I can't figure out why.
View Quote

Your State Rep. is probably up for reelection in fall of 2014.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

No thinking..  I can tell via your comment that you have not fully read 2923 to the end where it ends with the exemptions of "firearms registered in the National Firearms Registry Transfer Record"

Read it..

Been using 32 round Uzi mags in my AR-15 9mm SBR and Uzi SBR since moving back into Ohio 21yr ago after being out for 7yr,, not the first person ever bothered me.

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No thinking..  I can tell via your comment that you have not fully read 2923 to the end where it ends with the exemptions of "firearms registered in the National Firearms Registry Transfer Record"

Read it..

Been using 32 round Uzi mags in my AR-15 9mm SBR and Uzi SBR since moving back into Ohio 21yr ago after being out for 7yr,, not the first person ever bothered me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read it..

I did read it a few years ago and just like all lawyer mubo jumbo it is confusing how they word shit.

It is nice to know I can use the larger mags when my SBR stamps get back.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 2:42:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

rimfire is exempt

IIRC, that bill also stiffens penalties for violation of other gun laws.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#20]

(C) Division (A) of this section does not apply to:

(5) Owners of dangerous ordnance registered in the national firearms registration and transfer record pursuant to the act of October 22, 1968, 82 Stat. 1229, 5841, and any amendments or additions thereto or reenactments thereof, and regulations issued thereunder.

Ohio defines SBRs and Machine Guns as " dangerous ordnance".
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 9:09:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You can ship it to anyone, it doesn't have to be a cop or an NFA holder.  You can ship a Beta Mag or any high capacity mag.  It's up to the user to make sure they're inline with the law.

That said, I'd like someone to show anyone charged with this violation as a primary and not an add-on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just had someone from OH purchase my 33 round glock mags (did not know he was from OH prior to the purchase)  He says hes a cop and its ok for me to send, but I think that is incorrect.  Can anyone verify?

You can ship it to anyone, it doesn't have to be a cop or an NFA holder.  You can ship a Beta Mag or any high capacity mag.  It's up to the user to make sure they're inline with the law.

That said, I'd like someone to show anyone charged with this violation as a primary and not an add-on.

there have been a few charged with this. ADD ON'S! Both years back. Mini 14 owner in possession of 40 round mags. And a fella with a legal NFA. SBR, AR15.

bigbore would know of the AR15 issue it was a post on this site years back. around the Toledo area. When I was a young man I went to plenty of campybobs bullet fests here in ohio.

LEO didn't mess with anyone, drums,ect. those were VERY LARGE CROWD events!
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Possession of mags with greater than 30 capacity is not illegal in OH.  EVEN IF you own a mini 14 with 40 rounders.  The gun is not adapted to fire more than 31 rounds without reloading UNTIL the mag is inserted.  This is not like federal law where if you have SBR uppers lying around with your 16" AR15 you can be charged with intent or whatever.  

If the mag is not in the gun, you are legal.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top