Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 3/12/2006 5:41:07 PM EDT
I am looking at buying a Browning Copper Series safe and was wondering if anyone had any comments on them. I had originally been looking at a Liberty, but the Brownings have the same fire rating, tested by Omega, and look pretty damn nice. I hate the idea of spending almost 2K on it, but with the FNC coming I want something that can truly protect my investments.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#1]
sams clubs sells safes for about $800.00 bucks. there nice safes. i have sold a few safes at my old job. will you get one that is fire proof? if so what fire rating? will the stuff inside melt first? is it to be put on a wood floor?  there is a hole in the bottom center of most safes to bolt it to to the floor.  fire may come through this hole. is there a basement under it? if there is a fire the safe may end up in the basement. is it a new or older home? do you have a smoke alarm? is it wired to an alarm company? most insurance companies only offer $1000.00 of insurance on fire arms. so you may want to look at buying some more insurance. i have a frontier. its nice. i suggest you buy the next size up as i wished i did. get some card board boxs and cut them up into sheets. we layed them down and slid my safe in the box it came in, on top of the cardboard. we cut the box off in the room we wanted it in.  you can buy nice covers to go over your safe to. a wise idea. get a big golden rod for the safe to. it cuts down on the rust.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure if I have room for a safe at my place.  I don't want to lug my 200lb desk up stairs... definitely don't want to lug a 450+ lb safe upstairs.   Concrete slab structure.  Don't really want to keep it out in the garage either...  Any ideas?  I have an interior hallway closet I could possibly put a locking gun cabinet in...  Just don't think it is deep enough for a full-on safe.  Need room for ~12-18 long guns.

<< My basic home owners insurance covers 5000$ in guns, 5000$ in computers, unlimited electronics.  :D  Fiance looked at me when we were filling out the insurance, wanted to know if that was enough.  BUT that is a good idea to check and make sure it is up to date as possible.  No need to over insure and it is dangerous to under insure your items.

Gander Mtn was having financing sales on two of their safe brands.  Some decent prices.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#3]
You may want to read this and this before you decide on a safe; I know they were eye openers for me.

I think if you're going to spend the money on a safe, spend the extra money and get something you will keep and be happy with forever.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:43:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Fallschirmjager, I might have to just get a big stack on and do some construction work around it.  "Baby! Don't hit that button...  'Why?'  That deploys the GUNS!."  ;)
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:36:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Buy a good one, and buy it bigger than you need!  Mine is busting at the seems.  

Excellent advice!!!!!!  

If hauling a safe up stairs, around corners, etc is a big factor, check out zanotti gun safes www.zanottiarmor.com/

They come in 6 pieces, and once assembled, are very secure.   They can be disassembled and moved relatively easily.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Zanotti Fire Protection

"Our safes do a good job for about 20 minutes at 1200 degrees."

Wow, that's not exactly a confidence building statement if you're looking for fire protection.

I think I'm going to go safe shopping at Vances tomorrow. Spoke to one of the guys there who was really pleasant and helpful on the phone, and they have Liberty safes at outstanding prices.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Liberty Centurian 20. It has the same fire ratings and nice features of a standard Liberty but its not all flashy and such. We picked it up for $650 I believe. You can get them at Vances. We got ours at Buckeye Outdoors which are one in the same on safes.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy a good one, and buy it bigger than you need!  Mine is busting at the seems.  

Excellent advice!!!!!!  

If hauling a safe up stairs, around corners, etc is a big factor, check out zanotti gun safes www.zanottiarmor.com/

They come in 6 pieces, and once assembled, are very secure.   They can be disassembled and moved relatively easily.

www.zanottiarmor.com/images/zhdr_features_15.jpg

Any one own one of these and car to commit on how they like it ?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#11]
There are lots of options, for insurance, in regards to firearms...lots.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I just ordered this safe Smith Security Safes

I read every topic I could about safes for the last 6 months and this one sounds like a good deal. You have them build the safe as you like, with wall and door thickness from 3/16, 1/4 or 3/8. The basic 3/16 is heavier gauge than many other brands and I think I was able to buy a bigger and better safe for my money. They have many options to pick from in the pricing link.

They are also made in OH near Bowling Green. I also like to buy local whenever I can.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#13]
heathen, I like that 6' Magnum safe.  "Maximum gun capacity: 124"  "2300-3000lb shipping weight"  :eek:

I think the Redwood (starting at 1100$) or Hickory (starting at 845$) 30gun cabinets look decent online.  Prices aren't too bad either.

I'll have to take a trip up there and check them out.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#14]
ADaughen, the 6' Oak is the largest I can fit where it's going and I will have to modify the area for it to fit.  They seem like a great company to do business with and have been very helpful. Best part is that they'll build it to your specs. They even sell vault doors if you're building a safe room (I wish I had the room for that).
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:38:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Heh, my fiance and I just bought a house... so going from a 600sq ft apartment for myself to a 2000+ sq ft house for two people... I think I have a little room.  I know how it is though.  Have been keeping all my big stuff at the parent's.  Dad is having all the fun.

I want it in an inconsipcuous(sp.) place though.  The layout is not really conducive to that.  I'm thinking a closet or an out of the way area to put it in...  It is nice they have the measurements though.  I need to go home and see what will work.  :)
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:11:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Zanotti Fire Protection

"Our safes do a good job for about 20 minutes at 1200 degrees."

Wow, that's not exactly a confidence building statement if you're looking for fire protection.

Generally, I agree.   But if you are living on the third floor of an apartment buildiing with no elevator....  or if you want to put in in your house basement and the stairway is rickety or has a 180 degree turn...   or if your den is down a narrow hallway or has a very narrow doorway.... this could well be your only option for a metal safe.

I have heard very good reviews on these safes.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Grr, just measured the area... looks like max is going to be the "Walnut" model...  Better than nothing I guess.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Bought the Liberty today at Vances.

Spent quite a few bucks on the higher end safe, but it should last me a good long time...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:22:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:57:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just ordered this safe Smith Security Safes

I read every topic I could about safes for the last 6 months and this one sounds like a good deal. You have them build the safe as you like, with wall and door thickness from 3/16, 1/4 or 3/8. The basic 3/16 is heavier gauge than many other brands and I think I was able to buy a bigger and better safe for my money. They have many options to pick from in the pricing link.

They are also made in OH near Bowling Green. I also like to buy local whenever I can.

I live about 20 miles from their shop.  I bought an Oak Plus about two years ago.  Overall, I'm pretty satisfied.  

The biggest issue I have is that the door is too narrow.  Every safe Smith sells has the same size door.  Partly because this method makes inventory & stock ordering simple and partly because there is no internal frame and the 12 gauge steel body isn't stiff enough to support a wider, heavier door. (This was the explanation given to me by Doug Smith.)  Their door fine for the smaller models, but on the big ones, it is a PITA to remove the guns that are stored near the sides of the safe.

I bought mine as a shell only - Just the body and the door, no lock, no insulation, no upholstery, no lights, etc.  I finished it myself with a double layer of 5/8 sheetrock for fire insulation and built my own shelves/racks.  I used 'rope light' from Lowes for the lights, and rigged up a switch that is activated by  on of the lock plungers ($30 total, DO NOT BUY THE OVERPRICED LIGHT KITS THAT BROWNING AND THE OTHER BIG MANUFACTURERS SELL FOR $100+).  I bought a S&G keypad lock from a locksmith for a less than half what most safe dealers charge.  

IMO, Smith makes his money on the options and extras.  $450 for a mediocre paint job, $90 for two $10 Home Depot flourescent fixtures,  $340 for 10 yards of the cheapest carpet available, $225 for 5 sheets of drywall & 2 tubes of liquid nails,  $40 for 10 feet of vinyl hose, etc.

My comments probably sound negative, but I don't intend it that way.  Bottom line, I think that Smith makes a pretty good safe for the money.  The fit and finish doesn't compare well to a Liberty, but the price is significantly less, especially if you are willing/able to do some of the 'finish work' yourself.  My next safe will probably be a Magnum.  The double doors eliminate the access issues I have currently.

Heathen - Unless they have changed things, you can't get 3/16, 1/4 or 3/8 metal in the body, only the doors.  All of the bodies are 12 gauge (IIRC?) steel.  I asked about upgrading, and Doug explained that they didn't have the equipment to work with anything heavier. I think that is a typo on his website.

Thanks for the update. Mostly what I bought was a shell with a keyed lock and brackets for one shelf. I plan to add the sheetrock myself and buy it where I work (my company makes it). I also elected to have them add the "cheap" paint job to save doing it myself. I hope the body is 3/16 but if it's not... too late now. It's to be set inside a reinforced closet anyway, details here my closet The door is to be 1/4 inch.

I've been planning to beef it up myself by adding to it if or where it's needed. Once I get it I'll figure out my next move. This safe seems to be the best option for my money and I expect to do a little work to it.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top