Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 2/27/2006 5:41:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 5:59:21 PM EDT by Ohio47Woodsman]
I used to think I was pretty hard-boiled, but the latest murders/torture out of Detroit leaves me speechless: State Admits

Perps: Patrick Selepak and Samantha Bachynski (Google their names)

Ask me why I own many guns in my home, barn, truck? Read this article--some human beings have devolved into animals like this.

"Better to be judged in court by twelve, than carried in a pine box by six."
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:11:02 PM EDT
How do you find out if someone is inside your home waiting for you? I guess you'd have to walk the perimeter, and look for signs of a break in. But, what if there were NO signs? Do you enter your home with your weapon drawn, or at least with your hand it, at the ready? This is a scary situation no matter how you try to play it out in your mind. Our home is supposed to be our sanctuary.....we do not expect this to happen. How do we prepare for this situation? I'm open for suggestions, because I am one of two men in my home, and the other one is 70. The women in my home range in age, (4,8,15,17,31,55). Only my wife, who's the 31 yr old is familiar with our firearms. This REALLY bothers me, because I am close to two freeways, Interstate 71 to the west,(about a mile), and the Ohio Turnpike to the South, (a few miles). What can I teach my girls, the teens especially, on how to handle such an adverse situation? My youngest ones are never home alone, but the teens are, occasionally. We tell them about strangers, and not to let them in, even if they do have some kind of ID badge. But what else? Any input is always appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:34:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 6:34:50 PM EDT by JohnnyMcEldoo]

Originally Posted By JarheadPatriot:
The women in my home range in age, (4,8,15,17,31,55).

Youve got bigger problems to deal with besides break ins.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:25:03 PM EDT
Jarhead Patriot,

Yep, this is a tough one. Best advice I can give is three-fold: one, educate the girls NEVER-EVER to let any stranger in, while training them in self-defense and firearms and Two, get to know your immediate neighbors really good. More than once I've had a neighbor call me at work and say"..there's a such-and-such pick up truck at your place now," and I'd say"Thanks! I forgot to tell you my electrician buddy, Harry, was coming over today while we were working. Is it a blue truck? etc." Then, I'd follow up later that day by bringing home the alert neighbor a homeade pie or six pack of good brew. Does wonders!

Three, is another dimesion of safety for kids today has got to be how we parents handle the internet our kids use, or, rather, how the internet uses us! The predators trolling the internet is frightening. A great book is "Home Invasion-Protecting your Family in a Culture Gone Stark Raving Mad" by Rebecca Hagelin. Her Website:

"Semper Fi !"
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:22:39 AM EDT
i live in dayton. the term home invasion is not a new term to us. we hear it on the news often. its the wave of the future. hell all the business's are closing up and moving out of dayton. the criminals are only going to have homeowners left to victimize. before long we will be just as lawless as mogadishu somalia. you cant even let your kids ride there bikes here. last week a 14 year old boy was shot on his way home. oh and have you seen the new house beautiful pictures of dayton homes? everyone is get bars and steel security doors put on there house. nothing like armoring your house. my uncle who who lives in nashville tn put a steel security door on his home. he lives in a nice part of town to. he was born in 1918 but, for this older man to be safe in his own home he has to armor up his own home. damn country is going down the tubes. before long we are all going to have to live in up armored houses like seen on dallas swat.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:28:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JohnnyMcEldoo:

I know, I know...........why do you think my hair is almost ALL gray, and I'm only 36.....37 on saturday..........
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:31:34 AM EDT

I know, I know...........why do you think my hair is almost ALL gray, and I'm only 36.....37 on saturday..........

Your still alive and kicking and thats all that matters. I think alot of men in the media dye their hair to get that more distinguished look.

early happy b-day as well
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:28:25 AM EDT
did you see green county ohio had a home invasion. it was on the news at noon.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:50:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sven223:
last week a 14 year old boy was shot on his way home.

I wouldn't grieve too much for that kid. His death means less crime. Too bad the media doesn't disclose the criminal records of these "victims".
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:37:14 PM EDT

Your still alive and kicking and thats all that matters. I think alot of men in the media dye their hair to get that more distinguished look.

early happy b-day as well

Thank you........I'll be celebrating at the Berea Gun Show, hopefully with a reasonable 12ga purchase, a few goodies for the AR, and then some shooting out at Grand River.........It'll be a little chilly, but I have Carharts to keep me warm..........and a thermos of coffee, or two.....I'll probably meet a few ARFcommers too.....planning to shoot with Millertime85, and maybe meet Car15Man.....after that, cake and ice cream....lol.....It'll be a fun birthday, I'm guessing
Page Hometown » Ohio
Top Top