Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 2/23/2006 6:08:56 PM EDT
I will be getting a pistol from a family member as a gift for my b-day in april.  I would like to bring this pistol down to the Millers shoot on the 15th to get some range time in w/it.  

Here's the catch:  I'll still be 20 on the 15th.  So the pistol wouldnt be *mine* yet, but the parent will let me take it with, if the law allows it.  I'd be coming to Millers by myself.  The parent cannot make it, they have to work.  

According to bradycampaign.org I am OK in possesing it as a minor.  There is no law against it.

JUVENILE POSSESSION
Are minors restricted from possessing guns?  No

No state restrictions on kids possessing firearms, including handguns and semiautomatic assault weapons. The state does not even require a child to have parental permission to have a gun.  

www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=oh#juvposs

So, would it be fine to bring this pistol to millers w/ me?  Said parent will already buy me the ammo.
I'd keep it in a locked case in the trunk, just in case I get stopped...(IOW I wouldnt CCW it in my car or anything like that.)

Thanks in advance for your help on this.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#1]
In order to be in full compliance with Ohio law, an elder will need to confiscate the said firearm upon your arrival at Millers.  Then you will be bound and your eyelids held open (think Alex in Clockwork Orange) whilst a group of elders examines your device, test fire it (I'm thinking 5,000 rounds, just to make sure) for safety, and then pronounce it suitable for so one so tender of age.  However, you must then clean the guns of everyone on the line, to demonstrate your skills in this area, before you are allowed to shoot your pistol.  

More seriously, from the same source you qouted:

JUVENILE SALE
Is it illegal to sell guns to kids?  Yes

State law restricts selling or giving handguns to juveniles under 21, and other firearms to juveniles under 18, except for supervised loans of firearms or for limited lawful activities (such as hunting).

So technically, this is your parent's pistol until you turn 21.  Make sure the officer understands that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
In order to be in full compliance with Ohio law, an elder will need to confiscate the said firearm upon your arrival at Millers.  Then you will be bound and your eyelids held open (think Alex in Clockwork Orange) whilst a group of elders examines your device, test fire it (I'm thinking 5,000 rounds, just to make sure) for safety, and then pronounce it suitable for so one so tender of age.  However, you must then clean the guns of everyone on the line, to demonstrate your skills in this area, before you are allowed to shoot your pistol.  

More seriously, from the same source you qouted:

JUVENILE SALE
Is it illegal to sell guns to kids?  Yes

State law restricts selling or giving handguns to juveniles under 21, and other firearms to juveniles under 18, except for supervised loans of firearms or for limited lawful activities (such as hunting).

So technically, this is your parent's pistol until you turn 21.  Make sure the officer understands that.

I read that in my source also.  And was just about to add it to my original post.  Would range shooting be a "limited lawful activity"?  The parent would get the gun back as soon as I get back from Millers.    

Thanks

ETA:  If I did get stopped and my car searched, I would tell them that it's my parents pistol and I'm just taking it to the range with me.  Would this be OK?  I won't bring it if I'd get in big trouble over it.  

Thanks again
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#3]
You are in possession of a pistol you are not lawfully allowed to have, unless your guardian is standing there or traveling with you.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You are in possession of a pistol you are not lawfully allowed to have, unless your guardian is standing there or traveling with you.

That's kinda what I figured.  It's really no big deal, I just was wondering if I could bring it.
I turn 21 on the 25th of April, so it'll be mine soon anyways.  I have not decided if I will get my concealed carry permit or not.  There's very few places around here that allow a CCW (stores, ect.)

Here's a pic of it, not the actual one, but the same model and all.  
S&W 910, 9mm

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:12:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't for this one dude.  But there will be PLENTY more get-togethers this year

eta:  Don't you have an AR to break in too
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:22:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have not decided if I will get my concealed carry permit or not.  There's very few places around here that allow a CCW (stores, ect.)

As far as I am concerned any "no CCW" signs on private businesses are to be ignored.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's kinda what I figured.  It's really no big deal, I just was wondering if I could bring it.
I turn 21 on the 25th of April, so it'll be mine soon anyways.  I have not decided if I will get my concealed carry permit or not.  There's very few places around here that allow a CCW (stores, ect.)

Here's a pic of it, not the actual one, but the same model and all.  
S&W 910, 9mm
www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/204780_large.jpg

hr

DEFINITELY do CCW.

First of all, it's merely a basic pistol course with some extra topics thrown in.   I went in to my course knowing a lot already (too much internet on company time :)), but it certainly was very beneficial to me, reaffirming what I already knew and filling in the blanks of what I didn't.   Of course, this is all dependent on the instructor, as there's no real state standard.   www.ppctraining.com did mine and I highly recommend them.

Secondly, the more people signed up for CCW, the more the government will take us seriously - the better chances we'll have to fix the current issues we have with Ohio CCW.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#8]
1.  quit getting your info from the brady site.  Their info isnt close to being correct

2.  get your CCW permit, you will want to carry at some point
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Technically,  persons under the age of 21 can be in possession of a handgun if they are supervised by an adult.   ORC defines adult as 18+.    Ownership issues aside,  if you read the ORC,  you can possess it.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I go to the range by myself with hanguns all the time, and im 19.

I thought that as long as I was 18 I was alowed to be in possesion, just not alowed to purchase them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:05:36 AM EDT
[#11]
 Just for the sake of knowing the actual law on this, I'm calling the columbus ATF office on monday morning to ask them.  Either that, or I'll call my local clerk of courts.  They've been able to help me in the past with some ORC's.  I looked through the Ohio revised code on this, and it's about as clear as mud.  

It's no big deal anyways.  I have a AR carbine that needs breaking in, and maybe a new 10/22 bbl. that'll need some use as well, so those will keep me busy.  

Does anyone have a Walther P22 I can try out @ the upcoming millers shoot?  I've been thinking about buying one as a b-day present to myself, but have never shot one.  I figure a 22lr pistol would be a good addition to the 9mm.  Mostly for the sake of cheap ammo (would be able to shoot more often, ect.).
I can supply the ammo, just name what brand it likes.  Thanks

ETA:  I think I will get my CCW permit.  Just undecided if I'll want to carry the S&W, or look for a smaller framed pistol.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:42:58 AM EDT
[#12]
The answer to your dilemma is quite simple, really.  Just invite a 21yo or older buddy along.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:57:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The answer to your dilemma is quite simple, really.  Just invite a 21yo or older buddy along.

The only (21+) friend I have that is into guns/shooting is in Iraq with the USMC.  
 My roommate is 23, but she doesnt want to be there all day.  It's a 2.5+ hr. drive ONE WAY for me, so I would like to get there early and spend most of the day there.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I made some calls today.  I've read the ATF's firearms FAQ

(B15) May a parent or guardian purchase firearms or ammunition as a gift for a juvenile (less than 18 years of age)? [Back]

Yes. However, possession of handguns by juveniles (less than 18 years of age) is generally unlawful. Juveniles may only receive and possess handguns with the written permission of a parent or guardian for limited purposes, e. g., employment, ranching, farming, target practice or hunting. [18 U. S. C. 922( x)]

www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b15
and looked up the 18 U. S. C. 922( x) on caselaw.com too.

The ATF, clerk of courts, & the Attourney General's office all told me to call my county Sheriff.
Left a message and they just called me back a little bit ago.

I explained my situation and he said I would be fine bringing the pistol to millers.  He said a written note from my parents explaining that they own the pistol and that I have permission to use it @ the range, would clear things up if I were to get stopped and asked about it.  I told him that I'd keep the pistol in it's own case in the trunk, slide back, safe, unloaded.  And keep ammo in a separate container away from the gun.  He said they would just run the SN on the pistol if they had any doubt.  When they see that it would come up as my dad's, I'd be fine.  

So, we'll see.  I may or may not have money for the extra ammo anyways though...so I'm still undecided.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Glad to see it is mostly worked out.  

If they run the serial number, why would it come back to your dad?  Are you somewhere that has mandatory registration of firearms??  Sounds like the Sheriff is a little off
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#16]
my first double post?  that was weird.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Glad to see it is mostly worked out.  

If they run the serial number, why would it come back to your dad?  Are you somewhere that has mandatory registration of firearms?? Sounds like the Sheriff is a little off

Who wha huh?  soory I could be wrong about that part.  My brain is shutting itselff down.  Lack of sleep.

ETA:  Maybe the Sheriff is a little off.  Hmm...  afterall, they don't have to know the law, they just have to enforce it...right?    Maybe I'll call the Sheriff of neighboring counties, and see what they have to say.  

I was originally planning on buying a Glock 17 on my b-day...but then I found out I'm getting this S&W for free.  But why not still buy the Glock...get both!?  I'd rather bring some 9mm ammo to the shoot (not even bother bringing the pistol and risk anything), and be able to try out someones GLOCK 17 (or 19).  Anyone have one I can try out?  I'll bring the ammo!  

Or I'll trade someone some .223 WWB if they let me shoot a few mags through their glock...?  
Thanks!  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Just take the gun with you. Don't do anything stupid on the road and don't sweat this any more.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah I was a little suprised when everyone wasnt shure about this...

I go shooting with one of my buddies who's dad happen's to be an NRA instructor, we are both under 21 and his dad has never said a word to us. I guess a note would be a good idea for future range trips.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Its totally OK to have a pistol in your possession if your under 21.   In Ohio, you can be a small town police officer ( I think under 5,000) or a deputy sheriff if your over 18. I dont think mom or dad would have to ride along when you work.  
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top