Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 1/29/2006 9:24:12 PM EDT
This was signed into law last week by everyone's favorite Governor. My question is, when does it become effective? I'm not affected either way, but am curious when the mass-exodus of C.o. Dayton employees will begin......

Anyone know???
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:05:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 6:06:07 PM EDT by AJE]
I just applied to Dayton... hopefully the Union will have that shit taken care of by the time the tests come around.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:48:25 PM EDT
Just found out today that the new law is effective in April. I imagine the C.o.Dayton will get MANY more applicants for all their employment opportunities when employees aren't required to live in the shitty.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:23:52 AM EDT
Yeah, but if you don't want to live in the city who says they will still hire you? I don't see them just giving up that easy.... a couple of DPD recruiting officers came to speak to my academy class and they didn't like the rule anymore than the rest of my class did. I'm just hoping the other people that do the hiring are just as happy to see it go, and don't mirror the opinion of the city council/mayor.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:30:22 AM EDT
All I can say is AMEN!!!!! I have been waiting along time for this..Yes, you will see the quality of job canidates increase also.....Not just the quantity....Say good bye to the shithole that it is.....
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:32:11 AM EDT
Oh yea,the city or cities will appeal..But I think it will fly this time...It has never been passed before.Always buried in the house by the democratic speaker I think...Anyways I couldnt be happier
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:27:28 AM EDT
DAYTON | City employees are receiving a letter from Mayor Rhine McLin stating that the city will continue to require its employees to live in the city limits, in defiance of a new state law.

Dayton considers itself exempt from the new rule, McLin states in the letter, because it has the authority to govern its own affairs under the "home rule" provision of the Ohio Constitution.

Dayton voters approved the city's residency requirement in 1987.

"We will continue to enforce the city of Dayton's residency rule and require all city employees to abide by its requirements," McLin states in the letter.

The state law, which Gov. Bob Taft signed Friday, requires communities to allow employees to live anywhere in the county or in adjoining counties.

"At some point in the future, we expect the constitutionality of this law will be determined by the Ohio Supreme Court," McLin writes.

The Cleveland firefighters union sued that city Monday in federal court to get that city to drop its residency requirement. Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson had also told city officials to continue to enforce its residency requirement.

Mike Fasnacht, president of the Dayton Firefighters Local 136, said they had not decided whether to take any legal action and were seeking to learn more about the Cleveland lawsuit.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:46:44 PM EDT
DPD officer here...

I got a copy of The Aegis today, which is our FOP newsletter. Basically, we're considering our options, and they're telling people not to do anything...yet. What we need is for someone who's close to retirement to test the waters, get fired, and then let us take this thing to court.

BTW, not all of Dayton is bad. There is a small section called "Cop Land" that is full of cops, firefighters, and Wright Patt people. Its technically in Huber Heights/Riverside, but is somehow City of Dayton. Nice houses, good suburban feel to it. I'd rather live in the sticks with my own homemade 250 yard rifle range...but that's the way it goes for now.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:43:26 PM EDT
There is no job good enough to make me move to Dayton. None whatsofuckingever..........
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:34:41 AM EDT
I dont think you will find anybody that put there time in, be so close to retiring and then risk loseing it...I think the law will stand a challenge,but if I was close to retirement I would'nt risk it .
Our freak mayor thinks they can just act like nothing happen. I cant wait until it gets broken off in there arse...
Page Hometown » Ohio
Top Top