Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 1:39:27 PM EDT
Hello all....  I live right next door in Indiana.... and will be visiting/working in Columbus now and then.  I'd like to do a bit of shooting during my off time, but haven't got a clue as to ranges near Columbus.

I'll be bring my AR and Glock, and want to take a friend's son out now and then, to get him properly introduced to shooting.

100yd plus pistol range would be ideal, but even just a pistol would be better than nothing.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#1]
This is about all there is.  I think.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a state range off of 23 North at SR229. It's closed until March, but it has a 100 yard range.

There are two indoor ranges in Columbus, New Albany Shooting Range and The Powder Room, although I consider The Pwoder Room less than nice.

In Delaware (just North of Columbus) you have Black Wing Shooting Center, and South-East in Lancaster you have Ohio Valley Outdoors, which is right off Route 33.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's a few pistol ranges:

Powder Room in Powell (suburb NW of Columbus)
New Albany Shoting Range in New Albany (suburb ENE of Columbus)
Black Wing Shooting Center just west of Delaware (town one county north of Columbus)

ETA: Fallschirmjager beat me by a few minutes.

I like the Powder Room better than New Albany because the guys that work there are more personable and not snobbish.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I heard rumor that the Powder Room acreage was being considerd for a retail development. Mostly speculation at this point as to whether it will happen or not. The range needs some interior remodeling/improvement at the very minimium.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:06:49 PM EDT
[#5]
My favorite is Ohio Valley Outdoors.  They allow you to shoot rifles, pistols and subguns, the people are very very friendly and the prices are the most reasonable I have seen in the area.

The powder room is a good time, but you can only shoot pistols.

New Abalony has way too much attitude for me to ever go back there.  I've had more bad experiences there with staff and seen way too many unsafe firearm handling than I care to count, also its really expensive.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I heard rumor that the Powder Room acreage was being considerd for a retail development. Mostly speculation at this point as to whether it will happen or not. The range needs some interior remodeling/improvement at the very minimium.

That's what they told me when I stopped by yesterday. Hate to see another gun store go out, but it's the best thing that could happen to that place. If they do get another storefront I hope they don't let that cat piss all over it.

Black Wing allows rifles and NFA, provided you show them your documentation.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:33:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree about Powder Room, I like Bill and Dan alot but they need a new locale and upgraded facilities, even if it means more $$ to play.

Last time I shot in the pistol range, I was in there for 40 minutes and I got sick to my stomach from the fumes, really tore me up.

That can't be good for ya.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Best way I can describe shooting there is bust an HC smoke grenade and take in a couple nice deep breaths; You'll be coughing that crap up all day. Same thing there, you can't get the taste out of your mouth and the back of your throat.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#9]
what ever happened to their 75yd rifle range?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:15:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
what ever happened to their 75yd rifle range?

You mean the underground pond?

I swam shot down there once. Quite an experience.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#11]
[grammar nazi] The plural of range is ranges.  Apostrophes are for possesives and contractions [/grammar nazi]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

Have you ever shot a HP match at Miami Rifle & Pistol?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That's what they told me when I stopped by yesterday. Hate to see another gun store go out, but it's the best thing that could happen to that place. If they do get another storefront I hope they don't let that cat piss all over it.

I believe the plan is to continue in a new location if they can, but with less stalls and concentrate more on internet sales.  I have a suspicion that they knew this was coming eventually and that's why there hasn't been much property improvement over the years.

--
Mike
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top